This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myblock
    I'm not gonna get in an argument over this war,I don't got the energy for it. However, I don't like it when Americans think we(Canadians) burned them for not participating in the war with Iraq. Our policy was we wouldn't participate without U.N. backing. We didn't do anything to try and stop the war either(unlike France and Germany). It was our countries right to participate or not. Had someone have striked the U.S. ,we would be backing you guys up in an instant...the difference with this was you guys were the ones making the first strike. Canadians did more than any other country did on Sept 11 and we didn't even get our name mentioned in Bush's speech the next day while he read 50 other countries. We also sent and still have troops in Afghanistan. See, the reason we sent troops that time was the U.S. was struck first...but on this war,it was the other way around. Basicly I'm just saying we did nothing wrong in not sending our support this time.

Dude, I lived in Canada for fourteen years. I have Canadian citizenship, my father is Canadian, so I guess that makes me a Canadian as well. My family still lives there. I’m not just “another American burning Canadians” for their “non-participation” in the war. I’m not even burning Canada in my post (if I am, please point it out). I am criticizing Chretien for his hypocritical policy when it came to Canadian Armed Forces participating in this war, which they did and there is no denying that. Defense Minister John McCullum even said so himself.

The point is Canada DID participate in this war. There were 31 troops who saw active combat. Sure, they were on an exchange, they still participated! UN mandate or not, they were still there. So, by that virtue, Canada WAS actively involved in the Iraq war.

I can’t believe the Canadian media didn’t drive home that issue even more and it’s disappointing that Chretien has not been held accountable for this. Let’s say one of those troops was killed? How would he explain that then? What would he say to their families? After all, “Canada would not participate without a UN mandate”.

And this whole UN approval thing is complete and utter bullocks. The UN didn’t give approval for the campaign in Bosnia, but it didn’t stop Chretien from sending troops there to see active combat. I just don’t get this man’s thinking.

So, in short, Canada did nothing wrong by saying “no”. Not one person has even suggested that. But Chretien sold the Canadian people short by allowing Canada’s troops to still remain in the region instead of bringing them home when he had every opportunity to do so. Lying about it doesn’t make the matter any better. I can’t believe Canadians have blindly let this issue go. He has done the Canadian Armed Forces a complete disservice by not legitimately authorizing their participation. If there was any reason he should have said “yes”, it was to give Canada’s troops the legitimacy they deserved since he refused to take them out. But knowing how he and the Liberal Party have mistreated the military in the past, his actions come as no surprise. I truly hate that man.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, this thread was meant as a joke, but someone had to turn it into a political bash-fest. They just couldn’t hold up with their USA-bashing.

Comment

"killing children and demolishing homes"

I guess you prefer to have Saddam there, afterall, he is Soooo much better than Bush... And the Americans planted the bodies in all the mass graves we found...

-Clovis

Comment

guys let's not make this into a political thread. if anyone wants to discuss the virtues of foreign policy, please contact me privately...

Comment

EVERYONE JUST DROP IT!

This thread was meant as a joke, and I actually find it pretty funny (even though I'm a Canadian citizen)

Stop turning this into a war-debate...we had enough of those!!!!!!

just loosen up and laugh!
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Canada did not participate in this war, and you know it very well! lol,
            That’s why you ''cut our contracts'', that’s why Bush didn't came to Ottawa,btw, Ottawa is the capital, if you didn't know.
            Yugoslavia, haha, they came as peacekeepers.

-->How come CNN doesn't report any more on Iraq? How come they don’t say ''USA is rebuilding Iraq right now'' lol...

If you say this is a joke, I d'ont find it funny.
            My pics:
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1067

Comment

Originally posted by Marian_CZUL

Canada did not participate in this war, and you know it very well! lol,
              That’s why you ''cut our contracts'', that’s why Bush didn't came to Ottawa,btw, Ottawa is the capital, if you didn't know.
              Yugoslavia, haha, they came as peacekeepers.

-->How come CNN doesn't report any more on Iraq? How come they don’t say ''USA is rebuilding Iraq right now'' lol...

If you say this is a joke, I d'ont find it funny.
              I guess you didn't pay too much attention to the news, kid.

So, what are the 31 Canadian troops doing there then? They saw action. Sounds like participation to me. You can think about it any other way you want, but it's only you who is being delusional. The rest of your post is just laughable. And you think I'm uninformed?

Comment

So why is the American Goverment b*t*hing that Canada didn't help?
                My pics:
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1067

Comment

Well, maybe the American government would just like to know WHAT exaclty Canada's stance is? You wanna help or not?

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Marian_CZUL
                    So why is the American Goverment b*t*hing that Canada didn't help?
                    It's not the fact they said "no", but how they said it. Ask Mr. Dhaliwal, Ms. Parrish and Mr. Robinson that question.

Comment

Iceman I am impressed with your knowledge of Canada's position. Remember Mexico, the States other major trading partner said no as well. What has Canada and Mexico so upset is the "U.S government's" attitude to its partners, not the American people.
                      Too many trade sanctions against us yet you want our oil and natural gas.
                      So remember no a people thing, a government thing.

Comment

I was afraid this would happen with the A.net refugees. I didn't like A.net because of its Anti-American, and Anti-Bush remarks. Gosh, I thought I had found the right forum. Well.

Respectfully

P.S. I know that President Bush would never send a message like that. But obviously some people do. I think that it sad.
                        CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                          Iceman I am impressed with your knowledge of Canada's position. Remember Mexico, the States other major trading partner said no as well. What has Canada and Mexico so upset is the "U.S government's" attitude to its partners, not the American people.
                          Too many trade sanctions against us yet you want our oil and natural gas.
                          So remember no a people thing, a government thing.
                          Ptbodale: I said above I was Canadian (you obviously missed that). My family still lives there and I keep tabs on what goes on. I know Canada, how Canadians think and its position damn well. I even worked under contract for the Federal Government of Canada for a while, so I know how the system works up there. This is not some “ignorant American” talking to you, but one of your very (and knowledgeable) own. I know how Canadians just love to put down Americans in every aspect.

As for the “trade sanctions”, please take that elsewhere. Canada has a humongous trade surplus vs. the US (one which it LOVES to boast about). That argument just does not apply.

Economics is my profession and if you want to discuss it, then PM me. I know what really goes on as opposed to what the media says. I don’t want to waste anymore time on this thread with people who are misinformed.

Comment

Everyone--

I promise this was just a joke. It is unfortunate that people have taken the opportunity to get all pissy and bent out of shape over this post. After all, we are only looking at random characters popping up on a computer screen from people we likely will never meet. Why worry!

Mike
                            Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
                            lp.org

Comment

*sighs*

Calm down guys, and no friggin political crap flying between you.
                              Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                              Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Working...
                              X