The prices of smokes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The prices of smokes.....

Ö..cigarettes, cancer sticks or whatever you call them. The small store across the road from the dealership sells a big time brand Camel for $3.50 a pack. I do not smoke, but a lot of people who work at the dealership do. Some say they smoke a pack a day. I like math so at $3.50 a pack that would beÖ.

$24.50 a week

$98 a month

and

$1,176 a year.

I could sell you a 1999 Dodge Neon with nothing down and $98 a month paid over three years.

Iím NOT trying to start a mile long insult fest with the smokers vs. the non-smokers, but I was wondering what cigarettes cost in your part of the world. I have heard that Oregon has the lowest cigarette prices in the US.

SMOKINGS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!!!!!

Comment

They are between $5 and $6 a pack here
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I can get smokes for about $6 (you can buy brands for about $4.50, but they suck and I smoke Parliament Lights and Marlboro Lights, which are a bit more expensive Ė yes, brands DO make a difference) here in NYC. It could be cheaper in other neighborhoods. Yes, smokes are expensive here because of a new city tax on cigarettes last year.

In New Jersey, I have bought them (and Iím talking about my favorite brands here) for $4 per pack. When I go to NJ, which is just about every week-end, I usually stock up there and bring them back with me.

As for smoking, I smoke about a pack a day. I'm not kidding, I really do. Yes, it is expensive, but I've been doing this for a long time and I'm hopelessly addicted. I actually do want to quit and quit soon, but itís tough.

As for the lowest price in the US, I heard you can get them in one state for about $2.50 a pack. I forget which one, but I think itís Virginia or North Carolina. The variation in prices is due to state taxes on cigarettes because theyíre really, really cheap to make. States like NY, Mass (which I think is the highest) and Cali have the highest prices.

Comment

As for smoking, I smoke about a pack a day. I'm not kidding, I really do. Yes, it is expensive, but I've been doing this for a long time and I'm hopelessly addicted. I actually do want to quit and quit soon, but itís tough.
          My father used to smoke 4, yes 4!, packs a day. When I was born, my mother informed him that he wasn't allowed in the house unless he quit smoking. He quit the day I was born cold turkey and has never smoked since.

The health problems are still there though.... every morning when he wakes up, his lungs take another 5 minutes to wake up. Coughing, hazing, etc...,

Comment

Originally posted by nyc_spotter
            My father used to smoke 4, yes 4!, packs a day. When I was born, my mother informed him that he wasn't allowed in the house unless he quit smoking. He quit the day I was born cold turkey and has never smoked since.

The health problems are still there though.... every morning when he wakes up, his lungs take another 5 minutes to wake up. Coughing, hazing, etc...,
            I have the same problems with coughing and some hazing and I'm not really that old and I'm in pretty good shape!

But yeah, 4 packs is a lot! My dad's best friend could not keep track of the number of cigarettes he smoked in a day. All I know is that he would light one up with the end of another, so it was a continuous chain. He died about a month after his second son was born. The kid never knew his father.

Comment

Thats pretty cheap compared to here in Australia. I smoke like nothing else when I hit the pubs / clubs (alcohol) and a pack of Marlboro Lights 25's is around $10.00 AUD these days.

Whenever I go out it's annoying as all hell as people are *constantly* bumming ciggies off you...

Nice way to meet someone though! LOL

mb
              Toy Box Day Party Went Off

Pictures soon at:

www.danceruby.com.au

Comment

Nice way to meet someone though! LOL

That's so true! Problem is they banned smoking in all NYC bars now. That seems to be a trend all over North America these days. But then there's always New Jersey...

Comment

I know! It shitted me to no end in Wee Ho last year when I was there for work (Santa Monica is head office) - when they did the whole routine. I was standing in the bar one foot on the balcony, one foot inside. Beer inside, smoke on the outside. The bouncers didn't know what to do!! LOL

Here in Sydney they haven't gone that far. You cannot smoke inside restaurants but the weather has outside dining the usual. As for bars the latest rules are that you can smoke inside but NOT within 2 metres of the bar stop.

Seems fair enough.

Considering the places I go to the ciggy chemicals are probably harmless compared to the others floating around. LOL

Check for PVT msg from me!

Hoo Roo!

mb
                  Toy Box Day Party Went Off

Pictures soon at:

www.danceruby.com.au

Comment

Dude, stop smoking. It can become a real pain, and by that time it may be too late. Try nicotine patches or whatever........

I know for one that I will never ever smoke in my life. Now drinking, that's a different matter....
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I don't like cigarettes.
                      A good cigar for special events is OK, if it is not too often.
                      Andy

Comment

A pack a day isn't all that much for a serious addict.
                        I've known people who smoked 3 packs a day, that's a fag every 15 minutes or so (taking into account some time for sleeping)...

Comment

Originally posted by jwenting
                          A pack a day isn't all that much for a serious addict.
                          I've known people who smoked 3 packs a day, that's a fag every 15 minutes or so (taking into account some time for sleeping)...
                          That reminds me of an interesting commercial I saw on Sky1 a few years ago. There was a young man, in his 20s, slumped over a table, looking miserable. The caption under him read, "Dying for another fag??"
                          I almost died laughing!!!
                          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I've haven't really priced them in the stores in the Atlanta area (since I don't smoke), but I can tell you that in the shops @ ATL they run $6.50 a pack, and some people get made at the cashiers for the price of cigarettes (these people must be from NC, which has the lowest tobacco tax in the US). When I did smoke about 6 years ago, I was a pack a week smoker, so I bought expensive smokes (usually Dunhills, but really liked Majors, just the right size for a quick smoke). I just quit by not buying another pack (I would bum one off of a friend ever once in a while). I do smoke a cigar a few times a month, and a pipe 3-4 times a week, but I haven't had a cigarette in probably 2 years.

Comment

In Dallas you can get a pack of smokes for $3.50-$5.00 depending on where you go. Back in my Atlanta days, it was about $3.50-$4.00.

I need to find some friends that dont smoke! I know way too much about these things
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1142

Comment

Working...
                              X