Locked thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked thread?

How come the "Bush message to Cretien" thread got locked? Meant as a joke or not, it was going the way it was going, so be it. I was actually learning from the different views on Canadian participation in the war, both political and military.

I must've missed something. Are dissenting views, or political arguments between posters not allowed? Should we start collecting and burning the books now?

As long as the threads do not become personal attacks on the respondents it is good to see each others views. Personal views are usually quite different from the governments and the press.
    We are all proud of the country we live in, if not maybe think about choosing another and we should all support our men in women in uniform wether they are in a war zone or on peacekeeping duty because it is because of them we can get online like this and bitch and complain and whine and as well pump out chests out and say how great our country is.

Comment

I see you guys are relative newcomers. Genenerally, political threads are avoided here. We don't want to see this place become as chaotic as A.net and we generally get along better by not talking about those sorts of things. Besides, an internet forum is supposed to be a fun diversion from the trials of everyday life, right?

Comment

When people believe something without the flexibility to change, the thread is going nowhere and it needs to be locked.

Comment

I think Mr Polish just likes locking threads.
          I walked across an empty land
          I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
          I felt the earth beneath my feet
          Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Ah you know those Poles, they're just naturally like that. :P

Cheers Peter,

-Clovis

Comment

I hope noone thought I was attacking anyone on that thread, I was just stating what I had been seeing and my opinion and such. I know I was civil and that's what counts. Debates are good, as long as they are civil and don't turn into stupid flame wars.
              Earl From Regina

Comment

Originally posted by iceman
                I see you guys are relative newcomers. Genenerally, political threads are avoided here. ?
                So political discussions don't fall under the term "off topic"?

We should still able to talk about anything, as long as it's done in a civil manner. Saying "talk of XXX or XXX shouldn't be done" in an off-topic forum (very wide definition there) makes little sense.

IMO, forum moderating should be as hands-off as possible. That thread wasn't becoming personal, it actually had some good information going there.

Anything should be able to be discussed. If we limit ourselves in that respect, what does that say of us?

Comment

The forum moderating here is supposed to be hands off. Till a few weeks back, it was extremely hands off, but then stuff happened, which led to some suspensions, and a bit stricter moderating.

But I still feel that threads are being locked prettty quick. Slow down, guys.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                    The forum moderating here is supposed to be hands off. Till a few weeks back, it was extremely hands off, but then stuff happened, which led to some suspensions, and a bit stricter moderating.

But I still feel that threads are being locked prettty quick. Slow down, guys.
                    I disagree. The initial post in that thread was satirical in nature, not political. Most of the subsequent posts recognized that, but a few had to deviate from the topic and turn it into something political and even insert a few bashing elements (and there were, but not by everyone). That shouldn’t be acceptable. I think Peter was correct here and stopped things before they got heated up. We don’t want this site to turn into another A.net. Look what happened there: no more non-av forum, period.

Remember, folks, this is a private website, not a democracy. Freedom of speech doesn’t reign here.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman
                      [
                      Remember, folks, this is a private website, not a democracy. Freedom of speech doesn’t reign here.
                      But customer service should. And threads are going to go whichever way they go. Just because they deviate slightly from off-topic is no reason to lock them. If that were the policy, I could point to 90% of the threads here that should be locked the minute they deviated from the first post.

A.net appeared to be the complete flip side of the coin, resulting in what you saw there; and I agree it went down pretty quick. But there is a happy medium, gents.

Comment

It seems its thought that the site users arent grown-up enough to be allowed to discuss politics. I thought that and other things was what an OT forum was for! Hey heres a good idea, why dont you just close it, thats worked well before

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
                          It seems its thought that the site users arent grown-up enough to be allowed to discuss politics. I thought that and other things was what an OT forum was for! Hey heres a good idea, why dont you just close it, thats worked well before
                          That's the direction I'm going. I'd hope this isn't true.

Comment

Maybe the adult moderators can step in and fix things

Comment

what!!!! No, don't close the Off Topic forum.

come on guys........
                              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
                              X