Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locked thread?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by iceman

    Remember, folks, this is a private website, not a democracy. Freedom of speech doesn?t reign here.
    thats the typical "if stuff doesnt work like i want it"(and you obviously oppose certain debates and issues) i call upon the mighty "not allowed because private property is in general based on rules of dictatorships and freedom of speech is limited to what i like" rule.
    theres the b.s. meter going off scale.

    in general i think off topic forums should have one rule, being the civilized manner of which whatever discussions about whatever issues are being conducted.
    aviation chat on irc: #[email protected]

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by zak
      Originally posted by iceman

      Remember, folks, this is a private website, not a democracy. Freedom of speech doesn?t reign here.
      thats the typical "if stuff doesnt work like i want it"(and you obviously oppose certain debates and issues) i call upon the mighty "not allowed because private property is in general based on rules of dictatorships and freedom of speech is limited to what i like" rule.
      theres the b.s. meter going off scale.

      in general i think off topic forums should have one rule, being the civilized manner of which whatever discussions about whatever issues are being conducted.
      Zak, I am just stating the facts here. This is a private site and Chris can do whatever the hell he sees fit. If tight moderation is the rule, so be it; who are we to complain? He is providing us a service here Ė free of charge, I should add Ė and we should be grateful for that, especially in these days where annoying and obtrusive advertising and user fees are becoming the standard for most internet sites.

      I see this akin to working for an employer. When you work at a company, you are subject to company rules and regulations. For instance, many companies will not allow their employees to view porn on their internet terminals. Thatís fair and most people would agree with that policy as they see it as somewhat disruptive to their duties.

      Of course, we are free to disagree on how the rules of internet sites should be set, but that is our prerogative as individuals living in free-thinking societies.

      Be happy that you actually have an off-topic discussion forum here. Johan completely got rid of the non-av forum on A.net now.

      Like I said in my first post, political discussions are generally avoided here, almost always by choice, not moderation. Weíre a much happier community because of that.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by iceman
        [
        Be happy that you actually have an off-topic discussion forum here. Johan completely got rid of the non-av forum on A.net now.

        Like I said in my first post, political discussions are generally avoided here, almost always by choice, not moderation. We’re a much happier community because of that.
        1. If this is the case, then why are so many people upset that Johan closed the off-topic forum? Why not just shrug the shoulders and say "oh well" rather than so many people complaining about it?

        2. It doesn't say much about the people here that they can't discuss anything and be civil about it; that certain subjects must be "avoided" in order for peace to be maintained. What kind of shallow happiness is that?

        Food for thought.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by MikeD
          1. If this is the case, then why are so many people upset that Johan closed the off-topic forum? Why not just shrug the shoulders and say "oh well" rather than so many people complaining about it?
          Because they had no lives.

          2. It doesn't say much about the people here that they can't discuss anything and be civil about it; that certain subjects must be "avoided" in order for peace to be maintained. What kind of shallow happiness is that?
          Itís not some unwritten rule that they are avoided, but by choice. Maybe people here are less confrontational, I donít know, but it certainly seems to be the case. Or maybe politics just donít interest that many people here. It could be as simple as that. I don't think people are avoiding specific topics, but it is a fact that less of them show up here and that's probably why things run a lot smoother.

          Comment


          • #20
            I'd just like to add:

            Today I drove a 4 Wheel drive vehicle to a small airport and flew a private plane. Then I went home and was able to order a pizza over the phone while watching over 40 channels of cable television.

            I think only one statement can sum up my thoughts:

            God bless George W. Bush and the USA.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by IntheShade
              I'd just like to add:

              Today I drove a 4 Wheel drive vehicle to a small airport and flew a private plane. Then I came home, was able to order a pizza over the phone while watching over 40 channels of cable television.

              I think only one statement can sum up my thoughts:

              God bless George W. Bush and the USA.
              Cool handle (and I am smoking Marlies right now! LOL) and I voted or Bush, but what is your point?

              Comment


              • #22
                I think this thread is soon going to be true to its topic...............u.e. it may just get locked!
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

                -- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by iceman
                  Originally posted by IntheShade
                  I'd just like to add:

                  Today I drove a 4 Wheel drive vehicle to a small airport and flew a private plane. Then I came home, was able to order a pizza over the phone while watching over 40 channels of cable television.

                  I think only one statement can sum up my thoughts:

                  God bless George W. Bush and the USA.
                  Cool handle (and I am smoking Marlies right now! LOL) and I voted or Bush, but what is your point?
                  Freedom, baby. For now at least.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X