Radio Frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Frequency

How do I listen to Airport traffic conversations?

Can I do that with a normal radio?

What's Ottawa's frequency? YOW?

Thanks
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

So when you see the mighty jet aircraft
    As they mark their path through the air,
    The grease-stained person with the wrench in their hand
    Is the one who put them there.

My photos at JetPhotos.net
    My photos at Railpictures.net

Comment

You'll need to have a airband radio or radio scanner to listen into air traffic. Make sure the radio has coverage in 108-135 MHz
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

118-135 is voice.
        108-118 is NAV equipment.
        Very few scanners will cover that 108-118 range but who really wants to hear a bunch of beaps anyways?
        Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by mikecweb
          118-135 is voice.
          108-118 is NAV equipment.
          Very few scanners will cover that 108-118 range but who really wants to hear a bunch of beaps anyways?
          Mine covers 0.05 - 1499.95 MhZ.

That covers everything from short rave to regular radio to airplanes to baby monitors to the McDonald's, cell phones (shh!), military....

Comment

Which one you got?
            I got a Uniden BC780xlt and a Radio Shack Pro-76.

Comment

YOW Tower is 118.8
              YOW Ground is 121.9

Comment

Yupiteru MVT7100 here. Covers everything but the Pope's secret conversations with the Lord above.

Comment

thanks for all the info...so where do I get one of these things?

Comment

Do they have Radio Shacks up there? If not I would recommend http://www.grove-ent.com

Comment

yea we have Radio Shacks in ottawa,

so I go in and ask for an Air Traffic Scanner?

Comment

If you want a quality scanner, get a Pro-95 Scanner. They are sold by Radio shack. Thats the kind I have! The best around...

Also, try ebay for them, you can get them for 50-100 dollars cheaper there. Thats where I got my Pro-95. I saved about 50 dollars on it and it came new in the box!

DeltaASA16

PS: I will let you know if I see a good deal on Ebay!

Comment

If your just into hearing aircraft a pro-79 would be your best bet. It will pick up the local cops most likely too. $149 seems kinda high. I got my pro-76 for $89 on clearence. Also check Wal-mart. The main thing is to make sure it can receive the VHF Air-Band 118-135.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                            If you want a quality scanner, get a Pro-95 Scanner. They are sold by Radio shack. Thats the kind I have! The best around...
                            I also have the Radio Shack Pro-95 and am happy with it. I didn't think I would have much interest in the police bands when I first got the radio, but I have found those conversations to be quite interesting once I started listening to them.

Comment

I have a Radio Shack Pro 82 scanner that I bought on clearance for less than $100 that I am very satisfied with. I believe it can still be purchased through the Radio Shack website.

As some others mentioned my scanner is also capable of receiving police bands, however there is a word of caution here. In most states in the US it is illegal to carry a police band scanner in an automobile. Most police will confiscate the scanner and write you a ticket for doing so. In some states you can be arrested for that. While spotting I have been questioned by police on numerous occasions and the subject of my scanner usually comes up. I always demonstrate to the officers that I have ONLY aviation frequencies loaded in my scanner's memory and so far that has been satisfactory to them. I suspect that things would have been quite different had I programmed police band frequencies into it.

I would strongly suggest that anyone using a police band capable scanner while spotting be sure to not store any police frequencies.

Comment

Working...
                              X