FAO - All JetPhotos.net Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO - All JetPhotos.net Users

After consultation on other threads, we the management (along with lengthy consultation from respected members such as ITS) have decided that Airliners.net may have been correct in the closure of the Off Topic Forum. The recent flood of topics that our overworked moderators have been forced to lock has sadly reinforced this view.

However, we believe that completely denying off topic access could be a mistake, and are polling the users to determine the forums future.

Its a shame, but such is the way of the internet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katamarino, Jetphotos.net forum optimiser and head of disinformation.
    Closed and made unreadable
    0%
    Closed but still accessible in read only mode
    0%
    Open, but only with approved access
    0%
    I walked across an empty land
    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
    I felt the earth beneath my feet
    Sat by the river and it made me complete

I never knew you were staff? is this another joke? Because if it is...THEN YOU SHOULD BE BANNED

BTW...I voted neither of the choices because the forums should stay THE WAY THEY ARE !!!!!!
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

hhee good one, especially the unbiased number of choices that give a pseudo choice
      aviation chat on irc: #flightsimulation@quakenet

Comment

It should not be closed. The only problem is when people get a bit too personal. Unfortunately we are all human and have some powerful beliefs.
        The choices given were a bit restrictive. I didn't belong to a.net so I'm not sure of all of the problems they were encountering.

Comment

cool, another Canadian member!!! awesome! Welcome!

btw, ptbodale, which airport do you fly from?
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by B777-400
            I never knew you were staff? is this another joke? Because if it is...THEN YOU SHOULD BE BANNED
            So now people should be banned for making jokes in the Off-Topic Forum? Well, let me review all the threads and make up the list of the people that should "get the boot" under this line of 1984-ish thinking.

That'd sure make this place one helluva ghost town.......

Comment

I voted no and unreadable just cause everyone knows some dumbass will....

DeltaASA16

Comment

I don't think we have problems with the off-topic forum...neither do I suspect any
                Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

I didn’t vote because I thought the choices were too restrictive.

Personally, I think this forum is quite tame compared to A.net. We had a few problems a couple of weeks back, but that was between a couple of members and they seemed to have made amends and cleaned up their act. Since then, there really hasn’t been much heated debate, if any. I guess the “Chretien-Bush” thread turned into a political debate, but that was because of the actions of one user.

I mentioned somewhere else that political topics are generally avoided on here and it is usually by choice of the members. I think that is because this is a more laidback group of people compared to A.net and we generally respect each other. I believe JP.net is more of a hobbyist site compared to A.net and it is much younger as well, so people don’t take it as seriously. A.net has been around for years and it became a part of life for a lot of members, which is why it had much more serious discussion. Who is to say the same won’t happen here in a few years and with an influx of A.net refugees?

Needless to say, I am quite surprised that this forum’s closure is being considered by the administration. If they choose to close it, it is their choice and I am content with it either way.

Ptbodale: The A.net non-av forum was completely unreadable in the end. I was a member of A.net since 1999 and it was very painful for me to watch the steady decline of that site. I cancelled my membership a few months ago and have no regrets. The moment an internet site becomes an aggravation rather than a hobby signifies that something is wrong. It got so bad that even the civil and tech op forums were becoming flame war zones. Things have certainly calmed down on that site and I believe Johan made the correct choice. Indeed, it seems like some of the moderators agree:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ad.main/11691/.

Comment

What a wonderfully neutral selection of choices!!!!! :P

Kat, you aren't admin. - so there!!!

And BTW, I didn't vote, coz the option I wanted was not on there.
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Well, I don't particularly like any of those choices.

Why not just have an unmoderated forum? Make it clear that anything goes (within reason) and that no complaints about childishness and stupid topics will be entertained. Let people know that they are entering an unmoderated area and that they enter at their own risk with the 'management' assuming no responsibility, then the forums can run themselves and you won't have so many off-topic topics everywhere.
                      Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

Yes, but therein the problem of the site's image comes in.

And I feel the moderating is pretty good.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Yes but look at the reputation of airliners.net and what over-moderation and the enforcement of far too many rules over there are. That's destroying their image and many people are fed up and many people have quit. I'm still there but I must say I am not spending anywhere near as much time there as I used to.....which is a good thing!

There is a fine line to tread, but I honestly hope that this great site is not following in the exact footsteps of another once-great site.
                          Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

I didn't vote because the entire thread is pointless and immature. It's Chris's job to run the site and since he is in MAN no decision should be made or considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                              I didn't vote because the entire thread is pointless and immature. It's Chris's job to run the site and since he is in MAN no decision should be made or considered.
                              I totally agree.
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X