New German Chancellor on ... HER way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New German Chancellor on ... HER way

The Christian Democratic Union (CDU), Germany's legacy center right party has appointed MRS Angela Merkel, aged 50 and born in former Eastern Germany as the candidate who will vie with incumbant Gerhardt Schröder for the position of the country next Chancellor. General elections should be held on September 18th. Should she win, Mrs Merkel will become the first woman to lead Germany.
    Viele Glücke Frau Merkel.

Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Interesting. What is her background and which way does she "lean" politically?

Comment

Politically she leans on the center right wing. The CDU traditionally
      - stands beside entrepreneurship and
      - advocates closer ties within the NATO and with the US.
      About her
      http://www.angela-merkel.de/persoenliches/21.htm (in German)
      I more or less understand she graduated as a doctor in physics and worked at the East German Academy of Physic and Chemistry. She later joined the Democratic Action of East germany and served the government of Oskar De Maiziere, who pushed for the re-unification from the east side. Joined the CDU as soon as 1990 (year of re-unification)
      As to details, Colin is much better qualifyed than I for an accurate translation.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Sounds like an improvement, though I can't read German. Good luck to her!

Comment

Isnt she the new Margaret Thatcher?
          The upgraded Air Humberside
          NOW WITH FORUM
          NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
          The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

Merkel, Merkel, what can I say about Angie?
            Used to be a protege of Kohl, and learned alot from him. She helped guide her party through the black account scandal. Alain already mentioned the other essential facts about her. What would change is not yet clear, as her party will officially announce their election guide on July 1st, but some things are pretty much a given with Angie as chancellor:
            -No raise in the value-added tax (don't know the English term); The SPD proposes a raise from 16% to 20%, which would kill our economy
            -Making longer use of our nuclear power plants; our Red-Green government decided it's time to pull out of nuclear power completely, relying more on wind power. Under Merkel, the end of nuclear power would be delayed for several years, if not decades, and looking at how high energy prices would be without nuclear energy, I sure as hell hope so!
            -Less bureaucratism, especially when it comes to projects of nationwide importance, like the expansion of FRA (new runway & terminal). Too many projects lose valuable time by paperwork being stuck at some agencies.
            -Other aspects will remain to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
              No raise in the value-added tax (don't know the English term)
              The same. Often shortened to VAT
              The upgraded Air Humberside
              NOW WITH FORUM
              NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
              The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

Working...
              X