USA in bad shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA in bad shape

I don't know about you but I am getting worried. I really now think Bush is a horrible President. He lied to America and worst part made Newsweek apoligize for a 100% true article. He went against the constitution with freedom of press and made Arab countries hate us even more.

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer
    20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon on Friday released new details about mishandling of the Quran at the Guantanamo Bay prison for terror suspects, confirming that a soldier deliberately kicked the Muslim holy book and that an interrogator stepped on a Quran and was later fired for "a pattern of unacceptable behavior."

ADVERTISEMENT

In other confirmed incidents, a guard's urine came through an air vent and splashed on a detainee and his Quran; water balloons thrown by prison guards caused an unspecified number of Qurans to get wet; and in a confirmed but ambiguous case, a two-word obscenity was written in English on the inside cover of a Quran.

The findings, released after normal business hours Friday evening, are among the results of an investigation last month by Brig. Gen. Jay Hood, the commander of the detention center in Cuba, that was triggered by a Newsweek magazine report — later retracted — that a U.S. soldier had flushed one Guantanamo Bay detainee's Quran down a toilet.

The story stirred worldwide controversy and the Bush administration blamed it for deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan.

Hood said in a written statement released Friday evening, along with the new details, that his investigation "revealed a consistent, documented policy of respectful handling of the Quran dating back almost 2 1/2 years."

A spokesman for Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Lawrence Di Rita, did not address the confirmed incidents of mishandling the Muslim holy book. Reached while traveling with Rumsfeld in Asia, Di Rita said that U.S. Southern Command policy calls for "serious, respectful and appropriate" handling of the Quran.

"The Hood inquiry would appear to affirm that policy," Di Rita said.

Hood said that of nine mishandling cases that were studied in detail by reviewing thousands of pages of written records, five were confirmed to have happened. He could not determine conclusively whether the four others took place.

In one of those four unconfirmed cases, a detainee in April 2003 complained to FBI and other interrogators that guards "constantly defile the Quran." The detainee alleged that in one instance a female military guard threw a Quran into a bag of wet towels to anger another detainee, and he also alleged that another guard said the Quran belonged in the toilet and that guards were ordered to do these things.

Hood said he found no other record of this detainee mentioning any Quran mishandling. The detainee has since been released.

In the most recent confirmed case, Hood said a detainee complained on March 25, 2005, of urine splashing on him and his Quran. An unidentified guard admitted at the time that "he was at fault," the Hood report said, although it did not say whether the act was deliberate. The guard's supervisor reprimanded him and assigned him to gate guard duty, where he had no contact with detainees for the remainder of his assignment at Guantanamo Bay.

As described in the Hood report, the guard had left his observation post and went outside to urinate. He urinated near an air vent and the wind blew his urine through the vent into the cell block. The incident was not further explained.

In another of the confirmed cases, a contract interrogator stepped on a detainee's Quran in July 2003 and then apologized. "The interrogator was later terminated for a pattern of unacceptable behavior, an inability to follow direct guidance and poor leadership," the Hood report said.

Hood also said his investigation found 15 cases of detainees mishandling their own Qurans. "These included using a Quran as a pillow, ripping pages out of the Quran, attempting to flush a Quran down the toilet and urinating on the Quran," Hood's report said. It offered no possible explanation for those alleged abuses.

In the most recent of those 15 cases, a detainee on Feb. 18, 2005, allegedly ripped up his Quran and handed it to a guard, stating that he had given up on being a Muslim. Several of the guards witnessed this, Hood reported.

Last week, Hood disclosed that he had confirmed five cases of mishandling of the Quran, but he refused to provide details. Allegations of Quran desecration at Guantanamo Bay have led to anti-American passions in many Muslim nations, although Pentagon officials have insisted that the problems were relatively minor and that U.S. commanders have gone to great lengths to enable detainees to practice their religion in captivity.

Hood said last week that he found no credible evidence that a Quran was ever flushed down a toilet. He said a prisoner who was reported to have complained to an FBI agent in 2002 that a military guard threw a Quran in the toilet has since told Hood's investigators that he never witnessed any form of Quran desecration.

Other prisoners who were returned to their home countries after serving time at Guantanamo Bay as terror suspects have alleged Quran desecration by U.S. guards, and some have said a Quran was placed in a toilet.

There are about 540 detainees at Guantanamo Bay. Some have been there more than three years without being charged with a crime. Most were captured on the battlefields of Afghanistan in 2001 and 2002 and were sent to Guantanamo Bay in hope of extracting useful intelligence about the al-Qaida terrorist network.

Both President Bush and Rumsfeld have denounced an Amnesty International report that called the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay "the gulag of our time."

The president told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday that the report by the human-rights group was "absurd."

On Wednesday, Rumsfeld called the characterization "reprehensible" and said the U.S. military had taken care to ensure that detainees were free to practice their religion. However, he also acknowledged that some detainees had been mistreated, even "grievously" at times.

God Bless America folks. Let the voice of freedom ring far and wide. Here's to showing those terrorists we are above them.

Comment

I have to agree, Bush is becoming more like a Facist everyday and no one is saying anything about it. I dont know about you but i don't feel like living in a facist state.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Bush at all....this whole country has gone down the toilet since he came into office....Look at the gas prices and the results of 9/11...pretty sad if you ask me

I dont follow politics all that much but when I do I'm probably 80% left wing.

Comment

Please, what do you think Kerry would have done? This guy couldn't even pick a side when he was campaigning... When he was recently asked where he stood on Gay marriage in Massachusetts he said that was his own belief and he didn't need to share it.

Who cares what happens to a book if they are in prison, they are being held because they are terrorist. Look what these same Iraqi's are doing to their own people. Car bomb after car bomb, beheadings, killing children, suicide bombs in holy places.

I assume this is all Bush's fault as well?

Gas prices are sky rocketing because the left wing peace freaks don't want to drill up in Alaska where it's all ice and wilderness, can't upset the Carabou. People still buy gas guzzling SUV's but them blame Bush for gas prices.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Bush is his lack of stance on elegals coming in through Mexico. Shut the border down already, but his State of Texas is making money on all the cheap labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
            Gas prices are sky rocketing because the left wing peace freaks don't want to drill up in Alaska where it's all ice and wilderness, can't upset the Carabou
            yup.....so much oil up there but gotta protect the environment....this is why you tree huggers piss me off...you want gas prices lower but wont go drill in Alaska, so that we could say, Saudia Aribia we got our own oil

also a very simple solution if you don't like living here....LEAVE!!!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Top_Gun]Who cares what happens to a book if they are in prison, they are being held because they are terrorist. Look what these same Iraqi's are doing to their own people. Car bomb after car bomb, beheadings, killing children, suicide bombs in holy places.
              QUOTE]

That is by far the most ignorant thing that i have read. WTF do you mean by who cares what happens to a book if they are in prison....That book is the Holy Koran. What if someone does that to a bible, i am sure many people will be upset. Doing that to what you are referring to as just a "book" is like slapping all the Muslims in the world in the face.

Note to Kadd and other mod's:...you can ban me for this if you want, but i have to get this out there.
              ***My Blog***

Comment

So much bullshit here I don't know where to start..

He lied to America
                And when was this exactly? Speaking of lying to America, did you feel the same way about Clinton?

worst part made Newsweek apoligize for a 100% true article
                Source? Proof? Bush didn't make Newsweek apologize, they decided themselves to apologize because their article resulted in over a dozen people getting killed. They apologized because it was the right thing to do...

Can't blame Bush for everything.

and made Arab countries hate us even more
                Yes. We should have dropped flowers on the caves in Afghanistan after 9/11. After all, Bin Laden is a nice guy who would never hate America, right?

For the article you posted- How is this Bush's fault? Did he secretely fly to Gitmo aboard AF1 and order the soldier to kick the Quran? Once again, liberal hate-mongering with no facts or proof.

Here's to showing those terrorists we are above them.
                Tell me, how many Muslims should I kill because they desecrate the Bible in Saudi Arabia? Maybe we should all riot and torch mosques? New flash: we ARE above the terrorists and fanatics.

I dont know about you but i don't feel like living in a facist state.
                Well, get out then. No one is asking you to stay here. Why don't you go to Iran or North Korea and tell us what a real fascist state is like?

Man, you liberals never cease to amaze me...

What if someone does that to a bible, i am sure many people will be upset.
                They do, look at Saudi Arabia and Iran. Lets go kill people now...wohoo.
                Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Should I lock this now or wait for 5 more posts?
                  Will F.
                  Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                    Why lock it now? What is the problem with a little debate? As long as it doesn't get out of hand then I don't know why you all would lock/delete it...
                    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                      So much bullshit here

New flash: we ARE above the terrorists and fanatics.

Well, get out then. No one is asking you to stay here. Why don't you do to Iran or North Korea and tell us what a real fascist state is like?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                        Wait...lock it after my post...that way I get the last word
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Please, what do you think Kerry would have done? This guy couldn't even pick a side when he was campaigning... When he was recently asked where he stood on Gay marriage in Massachusetts he said that was his own belief and he didn't need to share it.
                          Well, Kerry wouldn't be going to war needlessly, and if he got in, then I think he would try to patch up relationships with the world which the US has pissed off majorly and try to work with other countries again, unlike bush who just brushes them off.
                          As for gay marriage, the only reason why there is such a debate is because of the right wing bible thumpers which Dubya is a part of. They want to control everything with religion and don't want to accept the fact that there should be a separation of church and state and that they should not impose their religion on others.

Who cares what happens to a book if they are in prison, they are being held because they are terrorist. Look what these same Iraqi's are doing to their own people. Car bomb after car bomb, beheadings, killing children, suicide bombs in holy places.
                          Many of the people in Guantanamo are not terrorists. They were just rounded up because the US felt like it. They are being illegally held by the US government without being charged and given a trial. Not to mention tortured.
                          Also the terrorist attacks in Iraq are an effect of the US invasion and occupation. If the US hadn't invaded then there would be no terrorist attacks.

Comment

Also the terrorist attacks in Iraq are an effect of the US invasion and occupation. If the US hadn't invaded then there would be no terrorist attacks.
                            True. The nice little Iraqis would still be getting stuffed into plastic shredders or being gassed and mutilated for disagreeing with Saddam.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                              True. The nice little Iraqis would still be getting stuffed into plastic shredders or being gassed and mutilated for disagreeing with Saddam.
                              Yea and now it's so much better. They might get blown to bits when they go to buy food or are walking down the street. The US really made it better

Comment

Working...
                              X