X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Spotters are a Terrorist Threat

From BBC News:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2943304.stm

"Train-spotters are being told to leave stations as rail bosses tighten anti-terror security".

"The heightened security since 9/11 has until now been largely focused on airports. The observation balcony at Heathrow from which plane-spotters could see airliners coming and going remains closed more than 18 months after the attacks."

"But a meeting of US security officials in Washington in March reportedly classified "people sitting on train platforms who appear to be monitoring the timing of arrivals and departures" as suspicious behaviour."
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

It's a pity really. Former hobbies are now seen as terrorist threats albeit harmless. I remember seeing a story on the news about planespotters being arrested for taking pictures of airliners at a nearby airport because in the post 9/11 world, it was now illegal. I can't remember the country let alone airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
      It's a pity really. Former hobbies are now seen as terrorist threats albeit harmless. I remember seeing a story on the news about planespotters being arrested for taking pictures of airliners at a nearby airport because in the post 9/11 world, it was now illegal. I can't remember the country let alone airport.
      That's because post 9/11, the citizenry have become scared sheep, that get frightened at their own shadow.

Comment

So now when I'm timing the delay of my train in the UK, I'm a terrorist???
        My JetPhotos.Net pictures

Comment

Trainmagazine had an issue about it recently.

Comment

How can monitoring the timing of arrivals and departures be suspicious? Timetables are publicly available. But many trains seem to be late anyway so they are totally unpredictable.

Comment

Want to really look like a "terrorist", take a picture while on the subway in Washington D.C. Personal experience.

Comment

Sadly we have to get use to it.

As Micheal has implied we have become a nation of "sheepole" demanding that Uncle Sam protects us by any means neccessary and if a few rights are sacraficed, so be it, Mr Ashcroft and Mr Ridge will be more than happy to oblige. Now it seems that other nations are following suit.

If you think airports an train stations are tough, head on down to you local seaport sometime

Richard,

I believe that the arrests of the spotters that you mentioned were the UK spotters arrested in Greece (pre 9/11) after taking pics of a military installation. After being warned once by local gaurds to stop, they kept on shooting, not very bright, imo.

Thomas

Comment

(Raises glass to Ceosea757) Good post and good points. The Americans are getting closer to a police-state everyday. Honestly, I'd rather live with a threat of terrorist attacks rather than with all these new stupid laws that take away your freedom.
                  Earl From Regina

Comment

Yeah these three really look like a threat Could you imagine them trying to hijack a train? The passengers would die from the laughter

Comment

this is sooo sad...

Yeah these three really look like a threat Could you imagine them trying to hijack a train? The passengers would die from the laughter
                      and this is so true!

Comment

How ridiculous! Ibap makes a point about the timetables being freely available.

I haven't noticed any of our bus gunzles or train spotters here in Sydney being told not to take photographs. I know that Cityrail is on hightened security because they took every last station bin away on the major stations and all undergound ones.

Nor has there been any crack down on spotting at YSSY (SYD) except that your not allowed to touch the fence anymore and extra perimeter patrols are happening.

I don't think Aussies have sort of gone over the edge on the issue - even after the Bali madness - the attack wasn't really on our soil so to speak.

Cheers,

mb
                        Toy Box Day Party Went Off

Pictures soon at:

www.danceruby.com.au

Comment

Tommy I am going to die from laughter here....

DeltaASA16

Comment

[quote="Myblock rather than with all these new stupid laws that take away your freedom.[/quote]

By making us create all these stupid laws and restrict our own freedom in the name of security......the terrorists have already won.

Comment

If the intent of terrorism is to destroy our way of life...then the defeat of terrorism is to live our way of life.
                              - from the TV ad

Comment

Working...
                              X