Its just so wierd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its just so wierd

Yesterday a good family friend died of cancer It just amazed me that someone who ran a mile everyday and was in the greatest health develops cancer and dies with in 6 months. It is really quite puzzling. I guess it goes to show that no matter how good of health you keep youself in, youre not exempt from diseases like cancer. What do you guys think?
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

man, sorry to hear that. Cancer is a pretty scary thing.

Comment

I'm so sorry about that. I know what you mean- i visited a woman in Australia in 2002 and around 2 months after I left, I get to know that she's been diagnosed with a brain tumor and she died within 4 months. It IS scary and it leaves you with a sense that it's NOT something that only happens to the neighbor. Then again, it tends to bring us back to reality, but it's still horrible.

Comment

Sorry to hear that man, my great uncle is dying of stomach cancer. Hes lucky he doesnt have bone because he drinks alot of milk. Cancer runs in my family.
        -Kevin

Comment

Very sorry to hear that, you have my condolences.
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Its one of those things where you don't really know if it will get better or worse...all you can do is wait and see...and hope that it swings towards better.

Comment

Ah, cancer. As much as I hate to say it, Im almost used to it. My mom has had 4 different types since I was born (latest 2 years ago). My grandfather has 2 current active types. My grandmother died from it, my aunt and uncle have it as well.

Just something genetic that runs in my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
                I guess it goes to show that no matter how good of health you keep youself in, youre not exempt from diseases like cancer. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, cancer is a bit like a lottery. You can decrease your chances of winning "the prize", but as long as you buy even one ticket you can't be immune. It is way too unpredicable.

Cancer is caused by genetic mutations which for the most part happen when you put your cells in contact with mutagenic agents. Among those are tar, X and UV rays, some chemicals and, yes, even alcohol. When your body cells are exposed to these, their DNA strands get modified. For the average Joe, this happens about 10 to 20 times in a lifetime, at most. But this is when the lottery begins. A single mutation can either be disastrous or have no effect at all. It all depends on where and how it happens. In the worst case, the mutation can happen in a part of the cell which regulates (ie, slows down) its reproduction cycle. If the cell loses control of its division, it will reproduce endlessly, thus creating a tumor. This is not always a big deal, but can become one if the tumor seperates and creates other tumors all around the body. Some cancers are especially agressive in that regard...

The key factor here is that, the more mutations, the more you run the risk of dying from cancer. But everybody "mutates" at some point, so you never really know. This explains why cancer has little to do with someone's health per se. In some cases it can be the result of sheer bad luck.

Comment

My aunt died of cancer aswell.
                  she fought for 6 years, from überhealthy, and slowly going down.
                  She leaves behing 3 young children
                  Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
                  - Metzgermeister

Comment

i have a sad contribution to this:

my neighbor and friend
                    once i get out to the street in the morning every day at 6am, i see him walking his labrador god, on the way to my ride, we'll chat every time..asking hows everything and other stuff ..anyway this person is a healthy person, he works at the airport, working with baggehandling, anyway then his wife had her birthday, i was there so was my mom, his family and friends, right before his wife blowed the candle out, he suddenly collapsed to the floor,not knowing what happended, his heart was still beating, but not breathing, we then called the ambulance which arrived 10 mins later, rushed him the hospital, got response 15 min ,telling us that there were some blood in his brain, i was told it was a braintumor they made a surgery, he remained in coma for 1½ week, but he never woked up again, I attended the funeral two weeks ago..very sad..nowadays i still look out for him when i go for work, but he never turn up again.. may you RIP pare..i will miss you !
                    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                    X