long night exposures Troy Pavia style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long night exposures Troy Pavia style

First picture- Five minutes, at the beginning I held a flash covered by a red gel low and facing the chiminea. Halfway through the exposure I used a green glow stick inside the chiminea to give it that effect. Tungsten balance.

Second picture- Ten minutes, at the beginning I held a flash covered by a green gel into the windows and fired it. Tungsten balance.

Third picture- Thirteen minutes, looking northwest you see the city lights of Denver reflecting off a cloud that moved through the exposure. Object in the foreground is my charcoal grill silhouetted quite nicely. 3 flashes of Bastard Amber (I shit thee not that's the actual name of the color) onto the hillside. Tungsten balance.

Enjoy!

Great shots When you say a certain number of minutes, is that how long you set the exposure? If so, then how did you not get the movement of you putting the glow stick in on the first pic?
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

The glow stick is the kind with the on/off switch, so when I got it down inside the chiminea I turned it on, and turned it off again before I walked away.

Comment

once I get back from my flight I'll have to post some long exposures emu style! By far my favorite kind of pictures to take.

Comment

Cool. I like the last shot best, but would rather see somethig else other then your grill in the foreground. Not sure what, but something.

Comment

Very very nice shots, I like the fire pit shot, looks like someone is going to do some vodoo dance or something, lol. Nice job!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll probably do some more when I have a night off work and the weather's good. I'll probably head back into the forest and find some stuff to play around with.

Comment

those are pretty sweet though, I like how you can see the stars moving in the sky.

Comment

The cool thing about these kinds of exposures is that it's very difficult for motion blur to be apparant. Because there is so little light, I could literally knock my camera over and pick it back up in the middle of the exposure and assuming everything is in the exact same spot in the frame, you couldn't tell anything happened.

Maybe the next time I'll try something like that, where halfway through the exposure I'll switch it from a landscape to a portrait shot just to see what effect that produces.

Comment

are you using a tripod or just setting it on something? If you aren't I'd highly reccomend it, makes things a looot easier cause you can point it at anything.

Comment

Definetly using the tripod. I wouldn't trust one of the folding chairs on my back patio for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                        Definetly using the tripod. I wouldn't trust one of the folding chairs on my back patio for anything.
                        yeah, definately the way to go. Sometimes you can get away with putting your camera on a timer and setting it on something, but usually that ends up making your picture be unlevel. All of mine in the other thread were with a tripod except for the one with Tokyo Tower (the orange eifel tower lookin thing) in it. And it shows

Comment

ok here's a few more I took tonight:

Comment

Working...
                          X