What Kind of Car does everybody drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Correct, but 4wd has everything to do with acceleration which is what will win pretty much any race. Doesnt matter if your car can do 210 if it cant get there before the corner when it has to slow down and start over again! Its also got to TURN the corner, something American cars arent famed for..."

A Mustang turns corners better than any BMW or Mercedes...check out the slalom statistics. SVT has a bigger top speed and acceleration.

Actually the 2000 SVT has a speed of 71.2mph on a slalom run making it more manuevarble and faster than a M3, M5 or AMG. As i said 4WD wont help you much.

"Forgive my exageration, its obviously lost on you... i seem to remember mentioning comfort and running cost about the whole jeep thing, and i know full well that petrol will cost me in the region of $1.36 a gallon"

Thats what I pay...your point is..

"Who said I wanted to live in UK? I'm out of here to NZ as soon as i get the chance!"

Even worse...lol

"Dont remember mentioning BMW/MB, but as you bring it up BMWs are far superior Like you say, not built for sheer speed but a far far more comfortable ride than a Mustang! Not my thing though."

Thats a matter of opinion....and as for addons a 120,000 dollar car vs a 50,000 dollar car...and the 50k can still beat the living ****e out of the 70-120k car.

Impreza looks like a squigged Mini Cooper...LOL
    I love the fake air intake

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
    Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
    http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

IMHO the Chevrolet Impala SS is one of the finest automobiles General Motors has ever produced. If I did not need 8,000 lbs towing capacity and off road capability, I’d definitely be driving one. It is a beautiful car, extremely comfortable and top notch handling/acceleration.
      JR FlyingTexan

Comment

BTW, Tom, lovely GTP you have – is that a stock hood, or no?
        JR FlyingTexan

Comment

This is it..

I also own a motorcycle which I dont get the chance to ride very often. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

I'm in the market for a car now.. What kind I dont know.
          Something fassssst [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]..

I went and looked at Ford the other day and saw some nice Mustangs..

[img]love.gif[/img]

I'm serious about buying a new car, I just have NO idea what I want and I really havent started looking yet..

BTW how old are you Peter?

Comment

Greetings:

No Pontiac doesn't offer a stock Ram Air hood. The hood is made by ASCDC (American Sports Car Design Concepts). It's fully active and links up to a CAI Box by SLP.

Comment

I am 17, 18 in February [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The SS series is indeed one of the greates vehicles the US produced. Of course thats why cops drove the Caprice (lower end version as we know of the 94-96 line)

My car currently has no loss value. It has a market value of $25,500 with everything...considering its a 1996 it isnt bad at all...we know there is a big demand for them [img]evil2.gif[/img]

Im sure an Impreza is nicer though... [img]laff.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by PolishAir42:
                "Correct, but 4wd has everything to do with acceleration which is what will win pretty much any race. Doesnt matter if your car can do 210 if it cant get there before the corner when it has to slow down and start over again! Its also got to TURN the corner, something American cars arent famed for..."

Acceleration is to do with force exerted on the road. 4 tires do this far better than 2. I can go through the maths if you want, i'm sure i could put it in terms you understand.

A Mustang turns corners better than any BMW or Mercedes...check out the slalom statistics.

I've been to chat to the automotive department here. According to the Cambridge University Engineering department, a BMW is much happier cornering than a Mustang. Got another argument?

Blah Blah BMW Blah.

Did i EVER bring up BMWs!? Geez.

As i said 4WD wont help you much.

Meet the Nissan Skyline - fastest car ever point to point on real roads according to every car magazine i can find that mention it. Its 4wd. Hmmm.

Even worse...lol

Ever been there...? Beats Poland, thats for sure [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] And you dont have to squeeze past obese fools every few yards á la America.

"Dont remember mentioning BMW/MB, but as you bring it up BMWs are far superior. Like you say, not built for sheer speed but a far far more comfortable ride than a Mustang! Not my thing though."

Thats a matter of opinion....and as for addons a 120,000 dollar car vs a 50,000 dollar car...and the 50k can still beat the living ****e out of the 70-120k car.

Performance - wise yeah, but i think if you read up you'll notice i was talking about comfort. Sorry if reading the whole of my posts is an effort for you. I'll try and use shorter words.

Got to go now, i'm sure i can carry on refuting you later [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                I walked across an empty land
                I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                I felt the earth beneath my feet
                Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

quote:
                  I am 17, 18 in February [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The SS series is indeed one of the greates vehicles the US produced. Of course thats why cops drove the Caprice (lower end version as we know of the 94-96 line)

My car currently has no loss value. It has a market value of $25,500 with everything...considering its a 1996 it isnt bad at all...we know there is a big demand for them [img]evil.gif[/img]

Im sure an Impreza is nicer though... [img]laff.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img] [img]laff.gif[/img]

Peter for some reason I thought you were like 15.. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Mine is worth about $28,000.
                  I can get cars for dirt cheap, my brother in law and his dad own a car place and tow/repo and whenever they repo they charge storage fees which is $15.00 a day and alot of times it will sit for a year or more then they file for a title and sometimes get it for about $300.00 including all title fee's. Which is somewhat how I got the 4runner only I bought it from him for alot more then $300 since he could have easily made $25,000 off of it but I still got a hell of a deal!
                  I'm not going to sell it though I just also want a car.
                  Maybe an Impreza would be nice?

[img]laff.gif[/img] (just kidding)

Comment

"Acceleration is to do with force exerted on the road. 4 tires do this far better than 2. I can go through the maths if you want, i'm sure i could put it in terms you understand"

Funny how the top supercars arent 4WD

"I've been to chat to the automotive department here. According to the Cambridge University Engineering department, a BMW is much happier cornering than a Mustang. Got another argument?"

According to BMW Stats and Ford stats tested by Edmunds and R&T......let me see the Cambridge stats.

2000 SVT R

Performance
                    Acceleration
                    0-30 mph : 2.5 sec. Quarter Mile time : 13.4 sec.
                    0-60 mph : 5.3 sec. Quarter Mile speed : 108 mph
                    30-50 mph : 1.6 sec.
                    50-70 mph : 2.1 sec. Road Course Lap Time : 1:06.25

Handling
                    Lateral Grip (200ft skidpad) : .95g Slalom Speed (700ft slalom): 70.5 mph

2002 BMW M3

0-60 mph, sec 5.5/- 1/4 mile, sec [email protected]/-
                    60-0 mph, ft 112/- 600 ft slalom, mph 67.0/-
                    Top Speed, mph 140/155

Funny isnt it?

"Did i EVER bring up BMWs!? Geez."

Just giving an example...because BMW is better than Subaru...so i doubt i even need to compare Subaru.

"Meet the Nissan Skyline - fastest car ever point to point on real roads according to every car magazine i can find that mention it. Its 4wd. Hmmmm"

Skyline fastest car ever to go on a real rode? BWHAHAHAHHA
                    Up example...2000 SVT R is faster...lol funnnnnnnnnnnnnny.

"Ever been there...? Beats Poland, thats for sure And you dont have to squeeze past obese fools every few yards á la America."

Nice generalization...Its ok you dont have to resort to racist remarks just because you know im right. Not like i havent heard NZ Sheep stories... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Performance - wise yeah, but i think if you read up you'll notice i was talking about comfort. Sorry if reading the whole of my posts is an effort for you. I'll try and use shorter words."

Dont choke on that...the question is have you been in both cars and can throughtly judge comfort...

Comment

Maybe an Impreza would be great since it can tow 8,000 lbs.
                      JR FlyingTexan

Comment

We have several cars in my family:

This is the beater (aka, my older car):
                        Nissan 200SX SE 1996

This is my car now:
                        2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4Motion

This is my parent's/mom's car:
                        2000 Audi A6 2.7T

This is my dad's truck:
                        2002 Toyota Tundra Trintron V8 (I couldn't convince him to get to get a Dodge/Ford [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img] )

He has an older GMC too but I don't know where I can get a picture of it.

Funny how the neighbors thought we won the lottery when he bought my car and decided to by a new truck the same day. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

1970 SS El Camino

1983 Jeep CJ-8 SCRAMBLER

1984 Jeep CJ-7

Comment

Because I live in the real world and cannot afford an expensive car, I drive a used 1988 Nissan Maxima.
                            Its gets me from point A to B. Thats all that matters.

AccessAir [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

quote:
                              Funny how the top supercars arent 4WD

On a track, 2wd is faster, but only if driven perfectly. The component of friction exerted by the steering wheels can be used fully for steering while the forward component of the rear wheels is used fully for acceleration. This means that at critical value of friction, a 2wd car corners faster and also means that the 4wd car (assuming engine size and weight are equal) will accelerate faster. However, conditions on real roads are not race-track perfect, and as such on real roads a 4wd car is faster point to point (I'm talking about roads with corners, hills and other driving features not long straight flat mid-american highways). In a straight line top speed wins, on real roads its a mix of acceleration and cornering cause you'll never be able to hit top speed anyway. And yes, point to point on real roads (ie driving a route from place A to B) the Nissan Skyline is fastest - It can beautifully handle the kind of roads that a supercar couldnt touch.

"I've been to chat to the automotive department here. According to the Cambridge University Engineering department, a BMW is much happier cornering than a Mustang. Got another argument?"

According to BMW Stats and Ford stats tested by Edmunds and R&T......let me see the Cambridge stats.

The sites i'm seeing quote 0-60 as 4.8, a bit faster than the SVT. Anyway, not got stats for BMWs, i'll ask them when i'm next in department, but the Jap Crap Toyota Supra pulls .98 Not bad...

"Did i EVER bring up BMWs!? Geez."

No BMW can touch a jazzed up impreza. Or even the Grey legacy imports from japan, the kind of car with 4 litre twin turbo. As its four wheel drive, its acceleration is untouchable!

"Meet the Nissan Skyline - fastest car ever point to point on real roads according to every car magazine i can find that mention it. Its 4wd. Hmmmm"

Skyline fastest car ever to go on a real rode? BWHAHAHAHHA
                              Up example...2000 SVT R is faster...lol funnnnnnnnnnnnnny.

Nice generalization...Its ok you dont have to resort to racist remarks just because you know im right. Not like i havent heard NZ Sheep stories... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I've been to the US over 30 times. And thats the inmpression i have received, i have never seen fatter people. I'm talking theres a higher proportion of fat people than i see elsewhere and the fattest of them are fatter than elsewhere. Didnt realise i had to spell stuff like this out! Only an idiot would think i was talking about every citizen, i've seen plenty of very fit and shapely americans as well. And the sheep stories? You only have to shag them if you want to - i guess you're implying that were you to visit you wouldnt be able to resist the temptation [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I feel i can compare countries such as NZ, Poland and the USA because i have visited them all. Have you been to New Zealand? I'd be interested to hear about your visit.

"Performance - wise yeah, but i think if you read up you'll notice i was talking about comfort. Sorry if reading the whole of my posts is an effort for you. I'll try and use shorter words."

Dont choke on that...the question is have you been in both cars and can throughtly judge comfort...[/B]
                              Yes. I have.

Of course this whole argument is a little odd. A mustang is damn good at being an American Supercar, A legacy is great for capacity, towing and cost. I'm sure you can appreciate running cost and purchasing cost is important - it must have taken you ages to work and raise the money for your $25,000 car! (Or was that helped out with by mummy and daddy too...?) I have $16,000 worth of sail boat to consider so i'll spend the minimum on the car to get one that will do what i need! I'd rather spend the rest of the money on my Hobby. If your hobby is cars, like the SS, then thats what you spend your money on, fair play.

I'm not going to be on site for the next few days, moving down from college is generally a bit hectic! Have a good few days all.

http://poseur.4x4.org/reasons2.html
                              On a slightly different topic - hehehe
                              I walked across an empty land
                              I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                              I felt the earth beneath my feet
                              Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

"The sites i'm seeing quote 0-60 as 4.8, a bit faster than the SVT. Anyway, not got stats for BMWs, i'll ask them when i'm next in department, but the Jap Crap Toyota Supra pulls .98 Not bad..."

What site are you looking at...please provide a link [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"I've been to the US over 30 times. And thats the inmpression i have received, i have never seen fatter people. I'm talking theres a higher proportion of fat people than i see elsewhere and the fattest of them are fatter than elsewhere. Didnt realise i had to spell stuff like this out! Only an idiot would think i was talking about every citizen, i've seen plenty of very fit and shapely americans as well. And the sheep stories? You only have to shag them if you want to - i guess you're implying that were you to visit you wouldnt be able to resist the temptation I feel i can compare countries such as NZ, Poland and the USA because i have visited them all. Have you been to New Zealand? I'd be interested to hear about your visit."

HAHAHA of course I realize that people in the US are generally overweight...the percent actually runs at 30-40% of the total population not being in their target weight. I was only joking with the sheep...one dosent have a sense of humor I see...

I have not been to NZ...I didnt compare NZ to anything though so I dont know what your argument is. Im suuuure you have been to Poland in the recent years though [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X