I got stopped and searched at MAN!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got stopped and searched at MAN!?

Ouch, Stop and searched at MAN, suppose they had good reason, my 75-300 does stand out from a distance.. I was shooting above the River Bollin tunnel and one of the nice Greater Manchester police dog unit cars rolled up. I was given a stop and search notice, indicating i was in a sensitive area with photgraphic equipment. It wasn't taken any further thankfully and i wasn't arrested LoL, he did allow me to stay were i was though after finding i had no rocket launchers on my person.. The git as well made me miss out on shooting the US 330 departure at the time he was taking down my details.
    Now i know what you guys in the US go through week in week out.. poor folks

Click Here to view my pathetic attempts at Aviation photography!
    View the Darkside

Well, it is sort of a catch 22- if an airliner is ever shot down in the US, Europe, or most of Asia, you can say goodbye to spotting. I would rather go through the hassle of being searched if it makes the people flying on the aircraft safer, and if it means my hobby (and passion) will stay legal.

Sorry you had to go through it, though.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

That's harsh. There were a load of photogs all morning down the side of the 2nd runway without a hint of any police units. They've been pretty good recently, having ahd a brief and very friendly passing the time of day chat with a unit the other weekend. At least they let you stay there once they realised that you're no threat.

Thing to remember is that they're only doing their job

Comment

Don't know about UK Law...

But in Canada, without a search warrant, police can only search someone when:

a) the person is in the act of committing a crime
        b) they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person has just committed a crime
        c) they are arresting the person

And last I heard, photography on public property isn't a crime.
        Will F.
        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
          or most of Asia
          Robert Milton as a kid had a camera taking pics at a military base and got cought. Wonder Why...
          -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
            Well, it is sort of a catch 22- if an airliner is ever shot down in the US, Europe, or most of Asia, you can say goodbye to spotting. I would rather go through the hassle of being searched if it makes the people flying on the aircraft safer, and if it means my hobby (and passion) will stay legal.

Sorry you had to go through it, though.
            Completely agree. If you aren't doing anything illegal then you shouldn't have a problem with police. If you are doing something illegal, get away from the airport because i want to be able to take pictures still. Simply stated as i learned from a man in Hawaii "Brudda, If you ain't got nothin to worry about. Then you ain't got nothin to worry about."

Comment

Working...
            X