This "WTF" has been brought to you by an a-hole dad in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This "WTF" has been brought to you by an a-hole dad in Texas

Charges may be filed against a family which manipulated photos of their missing daughter to spur rescue efforts, according to Texas officials.

"It has become apparent that this family has provided false information to law enforcement and to the media for the purpose of extorting a greater level of assistance in the search for Francine Keyes," said Texas governor Rick Perry. "I can only say that this news is deeply disturbing to all of us, and that we are not ruling out the possibility of legal action."

Francine Keyes, age 11, went missing from a camping trip with family friends on June 12 in Big Bend National Park. Thousands of law enforcement officers and volunteers spent days combing the park and surrounding regions. The girl was located unharmed on Friday June 17 in the company of an unemployed drifted named Gregory Stokes, who has been arrested and charged with aggravated kidnapping. The initial euphoria of the find, however, was soon offset when the first television footage of the rescue hit the airwaves.

"At first I thought the kidnapper had dyed her hair, you know, to make her less easy to recognize," said Maria Baker, one of the volunteers who spent 50 hours last week searching. "Then I thought, wow, that week in the wilderness sure was rough on her. Then I saw a closeup, and I thought, man, did a bear get her too?"

It turns out that Francine's family had doctored the photo released to police and the media in order to make her "more appealing" and spur a wider rescue effort. In the picture, she is a perky, cute blonde girl somewhat resembling Lindsay Lohan.

"In actuality, Francine is neither perky nor blonde," said a grim-faced Perry. "In fact, her picture is mainly a testament to her father's skills with Photoshop."
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

errr... maybe it'd attract more attention, but how the heck they'd expect to find the girl when the photo doesn't even look like her is beyond my comprehension... a bit stupid... but filing charges against them is a bit stupid as well, what do they want to prove by doing that?

Comment

I loveeeee America...
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Obviously the sentence "Everything's bigger in Texas" doesn't necessarily apply to people's brains , but to their reality loss.

Comment

wtf, lol, omg, wtf, omg

that about sums it up...

Comment

While I agree with you all that it was not the right thing to do, I think that it is sad that our society and the media forced him to do that. When a young, attractive, blonde girl from a well off family goes missing it is the main subject of the media nationwide, however when a black, asian, hispanic, etc. child that isn't too good looking or comes from a less well off family goes missing, you hardly hear about it. Whatever happened to equality?

Same thing with the Laci Peterson case-She was ONE person, out of thousands murdered each year. Why was her case the subject of countless hours of nonstop TV coverage? I can understand if the local TV news covers something like that, but how does that affect me, or anyone else for that matter, outside of the immiediate local area?
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
              While I agree with you all that it was not the right thing to do, I think that it is sad that our society and the media forced him to do that. When a young, attractive, blonde girl from a well off family goes missing it is the main subject of the media nationwide, however when a black, asian, hispanic, etc. child that isn't too good looking or comes from a less well off family goes missing, you hardly hear about it. Whatever happened to equality?
              For instance Natalee Holloway, her being missing is a media frenzy, lead to countless arrests, and the media ripping the entire Aruban and Dutch juidical process.

I hadn't even heard of this dissapearence until now...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                For instance Natalee Holloway, her being missing is a media frenzy, lead to countless arrests, and the media ripping the entire Aruban and Dutch juidical process.
                Hey, that interests me, as I am Dutch. What kind of comments do US media have on our juidical process?

Tillerman.
                They locked up a man
                who wanted to rule the world
                The fools
                They locked up the wrong man

-Leonard Cohen, Songs Of Love And Hate

Comment

I'd have to agree with herpa. And hell, it worked didn't it?
                  "If it weren't for the 777LR, I would love the A345"

Comment

You guys are missing the point!

This whole story is about a man with Photoshop skills

Comment

Originally posted by Tillerman
                      Hey, that interests me, as I am Dutch. What kind of comments do US media have on our juidical process?
                      Some retards on CNN were going on about how the Dutch can hold people without reason, and avoid the issue at play. I don't know the Dutch legal system, but thye were just dumping on it.

Comment

Some retards on CNN were going on about how the Dutch can hold people without reason, and avoid the issue at play.
                        And that's never happened in the US.
                        YBBN - James

Comment

Don't shoot the messenger. Blame CNN they suck.

It seems that this article is from a satire site...

Comment

It seems that this article is from a satire site...
                            It is satire.

"The Watley Review is dedicated to the production of articles completely without journalistic merit or factual basis, as this would entail leaving our chairs or actually working. Names, places and events are generally fictitious, except for public figures about which we may have heard something down at the pub. All contents are intended as parody and should be construed as such."

http://watleyreview.com/About.html

Comment

Paul, you respectfully are a whore face. :P

j/k

Comment

Working...
                              X