Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 trains collide in Pakistan 110+ dead

RIP.

GHOTKI, Pakistan - Three trains crashed in a deadly chain-reaction after a train driver misread a signal in southern Pakistan early Wednesday, killing at least 112 people and injuring hundreds more in the country’s worst crash in more than a decade, police and railway officials said.

The nighttime accident jolted passengers awake to a horrifying smash-up that left metal, glass and body parts strewn across a remote railway station near Ghotki. Rescuers frantically cut through twisted metal to reach survivors, as ambulances and buses ferried the injured to nearby hospitals.

“We woke up to a huge bang,” said Suraya, a 22-year-old woman who like many Pakistanis goes by just one name. “I fell down to the floor. Then I heard the screams.”......................

***My Blog***

Thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones families
    ...Because The Sky Is A Canvas, Waiting For A Masterpiece...

Click

Comment

omg.. three trains ?? over 112 died,, thats horrible to hear..my condolences to their families..
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Very sad news. Having two trains collide is (unfortunately) not that unusual, but three?
        Geez, that was a very bad coincidence .

Comment

Very sad news.

Comment

It's also sad to see how little coverage there is of this sad news by Western media.

On most news network websites (CNN, CBC, FOX), there is small line about it somewhere on the bottom or near the side of the front page. I couldn't even find any sort of coverage on CTV's homepage.

Can you imagine the news coverage if this happened in the US, Canada, UK, or Germany for example?
            Will F.
            Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
              It's also sad to see how little coverage there is of this sad news by Western media.
              Did you ever stop to think that the reason there is not much coverage, might be due to their government not allowing much out? There are plenty of reasons for it.....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                Did you ever stop to think that the reason there is not much coverage, might be due to their government not allowing much out? There are plenty of reasons for it.....
                Their government is not preventing news networks from making this their headline news (like it would be if this incident happened basically anywhere in the Western world).

Basically, it comes down to the fact that most people here care more about the NHL (headline for all the Canadian networks) than 100 people dying in Pakistan, which, in my opinion, is quite saddening.
                Will F.

Comment

Can you imagine the news coverage if this happened in the US, Canada, UK, or Germany for example?
                  No, but I can imagine what'd happen if there was a victim from any of said countries. I can already see it in front of my eyes:
                  "Train incident in Pakistan... 110 people dead...thankfully there were no Germans under the victims...blablabla." The consensus of the media in these cases is:
                  "If a German wasn't hurt/injured/maimed/killed, we don't care."

Comment

Yeah, i haven't even heard the words come out of any reporters mouth over here. I heard it on a Pakistani Channel and then went on MSNBC's website and even then i had to search for the report. Instead they have the shuttle launch being delayed (not that this news is not important).

Very sad news and the sad thing is that most of these people aren't that wealthy and they can't even afford a proper funeral for thier family members who died. The rich just use thier cars while the poor have to take buses and trains which aren't that safe there. That the thing that saddens me most.
                    ***My Blog***

Comment

Their government is not preventing news networks from making this their headline news (like it would be if this incident happened basically anywhere in the Western world).
                      Will, do you say this with the confidence of actual facts? Or is this just your "gut" feeling? I would guess you are saying it based on your feelings, not any specific fact. How could a kid your age get such information? Please share...

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                        Will, do you say this with the confidence of actual facts? Or is this just your "gut" feeling? I would guess you are saying it based on your feelings, not any specific fact. How could a kid your age get such information? Please share...
                        I said it based on logic.

News networks are in the business to make money and to inform the public. They focus on whatever they believe the public would care the most about, since more viewers = more money.

------------------------

Totally off topic, but do you enjoy doing this Jeff? Do you always have to contradict me? Even when I ask about some flower names? Seriously, get a life.
                        Will F.

Comment

On most news network websites (CNN, CBC, FOX), there is small line about it somewhere on the bottom or near the side of the front page. I couldn't even find any sort of coverage on CTV's homepage.

Will, I was on CBC.ca last night (yesterday morning for you) and it was front page headline with a video link. It was only superceded now by.. um...
                          • U.S. court reserves decision on mad cow appeal
                          • Guantanamo inmate forced to wear bra, act like a dog: report

and other "important" news

Comment

I said it based on logic.
                            So I was right. No facts, just feelings.... Oh well, if that works for you...just don't pass it off as the truth when you don't actually know.

Thanks

Comment

hmmm, Jeff, Will is totally right...Consider the fact that i am from Pakistan, and know how the government works there. There is no reason for them not release information about the crash. The Pakistani Channels are covering this hour to hour. and new information about it every time. Like GEO, ARY and PTV...they are covering this very well, if the government did want to release any information, the PK channels would not be broadcasting anything.
                              ***My Blog***

Comment

Working...
                              X