BMW Adds Thermal Imaging to 7-Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Adds Thermal Imaging to 7-Series

BMW claims that its new 7 Series is the first production car to feature a far infra-red night vision system, used in conjunction with the new high-beam "assist" function to make night driving safer.

A thermal imaging camera covers a distance of up to 300m in front of the vehicle to create an image of objects out of range of the headlights.

Your instant fix of all things motoring, from the latest vehicle industry news to comprehensive reviews, car videos, informative features, road tests and more.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Yay finally something that hopefully looks into the future of car accidents at night! Go BMW!

Comment

Cool, great function, but back to basics: What does that thing cost?

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Cool, great function, but back to basics: What does that thing cost?
        Well if someone is going to spend $70,000 US on a car, they probably don't care.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

its probably included in the highest model of the 7-series they have, which runs WAY more then 70K
          ***My Blog***

Comment

It is a nice new feature, but the way they install it now is not safe because you have to take your eyes of the road to look at the screen.
            They should project it on the bottom of the windshield. They do it with the speedometer, so why not with this?

Comment

THAT is awesome!
              Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

I can't see thermal imaging w/o thinking about some sort of misslie. lol

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  BMW claims that its new 7 Series is the first production car to feature a far infra-red night vision system...
                  http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2621784

Cadillac had an IR Night Vision system optional as early as 1999. Hardly anyone ordered this option, so it was dropped a few months back. So BMW wasn't first, as they claim to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X