American TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American TV

I've gone to the US so many times, and I find watching TV slightly annoying, because there are soooooooooo many ads in a 30 min program, like 8 ad breaks.

Over in the UK we only have 1 advert break in a 30 minute program, and 4 advert breaks in 1 hour. (which the ad duration is like 3-5 mins)
    Also I notice that presentation is rushed and bland, the only network I think is good is HBO.

Could someone explain why is this?

Well atleast a lot of commercials are kinda funny/entertaining now, which would be great if there just wern't SO DAMN MANY OF THEM!
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Noticed that here with american shows like Real TV, every 5 minutes they say ''we'll be right back'' but we in holland get 1 commercial break per 30 Minutes, with a duration of 5 minutes.
      Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
      - Metzgermeister

Comment

Down here in New Zealand, during a standard 30 minute program we have about 3-4 add breaks, with each break lasting about 4-5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
          Down here in New Zealand, during a standard 30 minute program we have about 3-4 add breaks, with each break lasting about 4-5 minutes.
          You seem to be quite happy about it

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
            You seem to be quite happy about it
            For me add-breaks are an opportunity to take a slash or fix something to eat (like a jellie tart) & if not that I just pick up my guitar and play for the add break thus passing away the time.

Comment

They need all the ads to pay for the poor quality of American TV.

Reality shows are a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy B
                I've gone to the US so many times, and I find watching TV slightly annoying, because there are soooooooooo many ads in a 30 min program, like 8 ad breaks.

Over in the UK we only have 1 advert break in a 30 minute program, and 4 advert breaks in 1 hour. (which the ad duration is like 3-5 mins)
                Also I notice that presentation is rushed and bland, the only network I think is good is HBO.

There are never 8 ad breaks on a standard 30-minute T.V. show. At most there will be two - rarely three, but those seem to be on those shows which aren't doing too well, so they need extra revenue.

What channel's do you watch when you are in America? Although, I still stand to my claim that there are never 8 ad breaks during a standard 30 minute show - but maybe common of some satellite show that I do not get.

If a show were to have 4 ad breaks at 5 minutes each, the show could only be 10 minutes long. What kind of shows have these superflous commercial intermissions?
                - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
                  If a show were to have 4 ad breaks at 5 minutes each, the show could only be 10 minutes long. What kind of shows have these superflous commercial intermissions?
                  If we use the Conservative values of 3 add breaks, with each block lasting 4 minutes 3*4=12 minutes, therefore leaving 18 minutes of awsome american reality tv, which sounds about right.

i was probably a bit keen implying that a maximum of 4 ad breaks being 5 minutes each could occur, thanks for pointing that out babypurin

Comment

Originally posted by Andy B

Has alot to do with money. The more ad slots you make, the more spots you can sell to companies. The more a network sells, the more they get to help pay for the programing. Some tv ads are so annoying it actually putts me off on wanting to buy the product ....
                    -Jay

Comment

As annoying as adverts may be, it beats the hell out shelling out neary $20.00 a month for a TV licence as is REQUIRED in Britain. Now some will say that most Americans pay more than $20.00 for their basic cable TV, but remember, you have a choice to cancel your cable/dish suscription and erect a good ol' fashon outdoor antenna (anyone here old enough to remember those?) and get over the air brodacasts free of charge as we did in the prehistoric days of early television.

Aldo

Comment

Whenever I watch shows its only 2 ad breaks, about 10 after and 20 after the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOSPACE99
                          but remember, you have a choice to cancel your cable/dish suscription and erect a good ol' fashon outdoor antenna (anyone here old enough to remember those?) and get over the air brodacasts free of charge as we did in the prehistoric days of early television.
                          Hey I still use one of those, and I'm not that old
                          Not the big outdoor ones though, we get our analog signals by plugging one end of a cable to the TV, and the other end up in the air by the window!

Comment

The commercials don't really irritate me too much since I realize they need the revenue (other than those evil infomercials) , but I have a major peeve with all the excess promo commercials the television networks do glossing their new, upcoming series, etc....they seem to last just as long as the paid commercials

Comment

Working...
                            X