Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops, and why some are dicks...not all

So I have an interesting story for you all tonight, this is 100% true:

my friends and I are all over at my house, im showing them FS and some ringtones. We all decide to go to the local dairy queen and get some ice cream. There were 3 seperate cars. Me, my friend justin, and my friend jeremy. Jeremy is driving a honda civic. Justin is driving a mazda miata. I'm...stuck with the volvo station wagon. So were going down the road and we come to a stop light. I stop behind justin and jeremy pulls up next to justin. Were at the front of the 'line'. So, like we always do, we start messing around while waiting for the green light by revving our engines. Not too much just like a vrrooom vrrom. then we were done. about 5 seconds later, the light turns green and we go ( not racing, just like you would normally)

we start going down the road and the dairy queen is only a couple of blocks from the light i was just talking about. This is how our cars were arranged, try to picture this in your head. Justin and I were in the right lane, I was about 2 car lengths behind justin, and jeremy (in the right lane) is inbetween us, but in the other lane. It's a 40mph zone, so were all cruising at about 45mph. This dude comes from no where and flies in between all of us at around 65mph...Cuts in front of me, then jeremy then speeds up past justin. So right as he starts to go past justin a cop comes flying behind me lights blaring and all, goes past me, past jeremy (who is now in front of me because our turn is coming soon) and pulls in behind justin. I thought, "alright he's getting that SOB that cut us off, bravo" WRONG. So we all pull in then he pulls up behind my two friends, shines the light on their liscense plates and writes them down. He glances over at my car but doesnt note anything ( im not parked near them, im parked behind them and to their left)

so he asks them for their drivers liscense and registration, they give it to him then he walks back to his car to write the report. He was in there for about 10 minutes when another cop car pulls up right next to him. About 15 minutes go by then he asks jeremy to step out of the car, with his hands where he could see them and walk slowly towards his car, just about that time a 3RD cop car shows up. Jeremy does it. Then he rudely says "alright, put them down!!!" jeremy does. so then he has jeremy standing there signing here and there, then the cop would write something, then jeremy would sign. This went on for a while. So then justin's mom shows up, she pulls up right next to me I throw my hands up as if I dont know what's going on, she gives me an awkward look and walks over to justins car. I have no clue what is said. Then I look back over at jeremy as he is talking to the officer, he glances at my car and kind of makes a nod motion, I thought "dammit, im getting one too" So the back up officer walks over to my car, tells me to roll down the window. I do. He goes, what are you doign here. I explain to him that I was with them, yadda yadda. I ask "what did they get a ticket for" he says "becuase when y'all were at that light back there, you were revving your engines like you were going to street race" I said "oh, we were just..." then he interrupted and said "goofing off" I said yessir... He said what time you sposed to be home. I said "11" its about 10:59. He said you better get home. I said yessir and drove off.....

THE END

What's your thoughts...?
    Bobby DeBarge
    www.debargephoto.com
    http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
    1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Well seeing how you told me this story earlier tonight, Im re reading this.

Cops will be cops, and Ive been in your shoes before with the cops. Most are ignorant and pick on young guys like us.

Just be good to the cops and they usually will treat ya a little more like a human.
    Ryan Davis
    Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
    www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Am I missing something here? Why did it need three vehicles for the three of you to go out to get ice cream?

You guys were behaving like jerks at the stop light, whether that is a crime in your state is not entirely relevant since you were speeding anyway. Ok so it isn't a big deal, but if this experience leaves any of you with a little more respect for the roads and the other other people that use them then the cop has done his job properly.

Matt
      My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by egll
        Am I missing something here? Why did it need three vehicles for the three of you to go out to get ice cream?
        exactly what i was thinking

Good story bobby. Going by what you've said I'd say the cops should have given you just a warning for reving the engines at the lights, and they should not have treated the incident as a drag race considering you guys were more or less at the speed limit.

Comment

I do agree this is your fault...

On the other hand police can overreact in the US sometimes. Was at LGA last sunday, at Planeview park, and out of the blue these 3 cop-cars pull up, blocking me, allthough I was clearly not leaving. 2nd line the cop says (after "can I see some ID please" wich he didn't check btw) is that he can't stop us from being there taking pics. Heck why waste 2 policecars then and why not show up with just one.

Comment

Originally posted by egll

You guys were behaving like jerks at the stop light, whether that is a crime in your state is not entirely relevant since you were speeding anyway. Ok so it isn't a big deal, but if this experience leaves any of you with a little more respect for the roads and the other other people that use them then the cop has done his job properly.

Matt
            The reason we all took seperate cars was because 1) you can't have more than one passenger in the car. 2) Justin had his cousin with him. 3) Jeremy lived on the other side of town and we were all going to go home afterwards...

I don't really think we were being jerks, we're teenagers...calm down,and I didn't get a ticket. Only they got a ticket.

After talking to both of them, they both got tickets for revving their engine and edging up while stopped at the light. Then Justin got a ticket for burning out and clearly Justin isn't good enough to burn out yet, he's tried, I've watched him.

None of us were speeding at all.

Yes, I have learned my lesson but none of us had a clue that that was even a law. They probably enacted it over this summer. Even my dad, who was a cop for 25 years, didn't know it existed.
            Bobby DeBarge
            www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Other than wasting gas (whoopee do) and if the story is as you say the cops were being heavy handed. Reving your engine is no reason to pull you over to intimidate you. Street racing, as I figure everybody knows here that it is wrong and dangerous.

I figure he thought he could put a scare into you and your buddies.

And not to say that they are all "twits", but I had a cop for a neighbour when I lived in Mississauga and he had the wildest parties, was a belligerent a$$, lied like a rug and beat his wife when he was pissed.

There are lots of good cops out there, you just didn't get one Bobby.

Peterborough has obscure laws too. We still can't tie our horses to a parking meter. That's been on the books since the mid 1880's. Who would figure!

Comment

The only thing worse than a gino is a gino-wannabe

Comment

Yeah I wish I could change the topic title now, I was just acting out of anger.

My friends told me their tickets were $158. A little more than a scare I think.

That, and Justin has to miss 2days of school for two seperate court dates. One in our local town, and one in downtown Nashville.
                  Bobby DeBarge
                  www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Nothing worng with the thread title.

Hope your friends are going to fight the tickets. Quite often when you explain the situation to the judge they will be a bit more understanding.

And you never know the cop may not show up.

Comment

In all my experiences with cops I've never had a good one. I think the flashing lights and the Crown Vic's are compensating for something...

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                        The reason we all took seperate cars was because 1) you can't have more than one passenger in the car.
                        Isn't it - that you cannot have more number of passengers in the car then the number of seatbelts in the car? (i might be mistakened)

As ptbodale said, if your friends plead not guilty, the cops don't even show up somtimes and the judge just dismisses the ticket..
                        ***My Blog***

Comment

Isn't it - that you cannot have more number of passengers in the car then the number of seatbelts in the car? (i might be mistakened)
                          License restrictions vary at various stages. A person holding a driving permit is not allowed to drive without another licensed driver (who has been licensed for a minimum of 3 years) in the car.

A person holding a provisional license is not allowed to drive with more than 1 non-family member in the car (I'm guessing this is the sort of license Bobby has).

And then there's the full license.
                          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                            A person holding a provisional license is not allowed to drive with more than 1 non-family member in the car (I'm guessing this is the sort of license Bobby has).
                            Yep. That's the one. Justin can't drive for two weeks (his mom's enforcement, not the law) so it looks like I'll be his taxi cab for that time...

He owes me.
                            Bobby DeBarge
                            www.debargephoto.com

Comment

I don't really think we were being jerks, we're teenagers...calm down,and I didn't get a ticket. Only they got a ticket.
                              You were driving aggresively, which is equivalent to being a jerk, learn to drive defensively-you'll save a lot of money in the long run and you will probably prevent yourself being involved in a serious wreck.

Then Justin got a ticket for burning out and clearly Justin isn't good enough to burn out yet, he's tried, I've watched him.
                              There's a typo there, you said good when you meant to say stupid.

None of us were speeding at all.
                              But in the opening post you said "It's a 40mph zone, so were all cruising at about 45mph," so you quite evidently were speeding, and given that this part of your story has already been shown to be not 100% accurate how can we be sure that the rest is an accurate representation of what really happened?

I'm not trying to put you down Bobby, but most of the posters on this forum are American teens and will agree with what you say which isn't really the point of what discussion forums are about, I am just trying to portray a alternative point of view as seen through the eyes of a European who has been using the roads since before you were born.

*Hopes noone thinks I am trying to be Jeff Miller*

Matt
                              Last edited by egll; 2005-08-07, 13:17.
                              My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Working...
                              X