2 Weeks Without My Home Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Weeks Without My Home Computer!

Our e-machines laptop was about to lose it's LCD screen because of cracked hinges. Plus we were having a problem with the screen blacking out which was probably related to either the graphics card or power supply. I took it into Best Buy because it's still under warranty, but they have to send it out for repair. Now I can't edit pics, browse the web or play flight sim for 2 weeks! If I had my way, and a couple grand laying around, I would have just bought a new laptop but oh well. Maybe if I get that schedule planning position I can get a new one "for work" since they can log in and work from home too.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Originally posted by PT737SWA
    Our e-machines laptop was about to lose it's LCD screen because of cracked hinges. Plus we were having a problem with the screen blacking out which was probably related to either the graphics card or power supply. I took it into Best Buy because it's still under warranty, but they have to send it out for repair. Now I can't edit pics, browse the web or play flight sim for 2 weeks! If I had my way, and a couple grand laying around, I would have just bought a new laptop but oh well. Maybe if I get that schedule planning position I can get a new one "for work" since they can log in and work from home too.
    *cough*bestbuysucks*cough*

Comment

Oh what a shame no computer
      -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
        *cough*bestbuysucks*cough*
        Best Buy didn't build the computer, EMachines (Gateway) did. What's wrong with Best Buy?

Comment

Sorry to hear that! I just brought my Gateway Notebook to CompUSA, it had to be sent out to be repaired too. I don't know how long, I'm guessing 2 more weeks, as they said "No Shorter Than One Week, No Longer Than Three" and it's been one week.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
          October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Best Buy didn't build the computer, EMachines (Gateway) did. What's wrong with Best Buy?
            What isn't wrong with Best Buy

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
              What isn't wrong with Best Buy
              Seriously, do you work for their enemy and you have been rainwashed or do you have some facts to back up your statement? I've spent close to $10K over the past 5 years there and they have never done me wrong.

Comment

Seriously, do you work for their enemy and you have been rainwashed or do you have some facts to back up your statement? I've spent close to $10K over the past 5 years there and they have never done me wrong.
                It's just the price isn't the best compared to online...such as newegg, tigerdirect or even ebay. Unless of course you like paying full retail price. Funny we should be talking about Best Buy because I applied there recently... fingers crossed I get the job!
                Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                No Frontiers

Comment

My experiences with Bestbuy have been ok, better than Futureshop anyway. Damn commission staff hitting you up every 10 minutes fore a larger pay cheque..*grumble* Generally if I'm looking for something I don't know about/haven't read up on and need help with, these types of stores are the LAST place I'd shop in. I like to run in and grab stuff and get out as fast as I can.

What annoys me about them (and any other store that offer it) are the extended warrenties. The most I've been asked is around 4 times by the same guy, and reminded a few more that I can come back in within 30 days to add it if I wanted. bleh! It's great when they look shocked you don't want it. "OMG?! YOU SURE??!"

Of course in the case of higher end products, like this laptop, an over the counter warranty is handy. If it goes for repair, I'll just take the manufacturer's warranty, or just replace the item after it's expired.

I love how Futureshop used to try to weasle out of their over the counter warranties. I had 2 SCSI CD burners (I think they were the Yamaha 4416s) they wouldn't take back because they couldn't test them, no computers with SCSI cards in them at the shop..They didn't even want to send them off (though if they did I would have complained about that, I didn't pay for a 3 year "over the counter" warranty to have them sent away for 3 to 6 weeks). Two letters later they took them and replaced them with new models.

Originally posted by b777
                  It's just the price isn't the best compared to online...such as newegg, tigerdirect or even ebay. Unless of course you like paying full retail price. Funny we should be talking about Best Buy because I applied there recently... fingers crossed I get the job!
                  You can "price match" .. Though thats just as big of a scam as the warranty...*starts new complaint*

www.NCIX.com has alot of good deals, and thats where I buy almost all of my computer hardware. Once in a while Bestbuy or Futureshop will have a same item, but usually at a higher price. Such as the Pioneer DVD burner (I think a 105A) I wanted. NCIX was selling them for almost 200$(plus shipping, 12$, no PST as it's out of province, only 7% tax) LESS than Futureshop. By time they added all kinds of crap, there was only a 50$ difference in the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by b777
                    I've never bought anything over $20 off Ebay. I prefer go get my expensive products at a store where I can go in and get my hands on it and try it out. I do buy the extended warranties sometimes, for computers, TV's and my laptop and they have come in handy several times. These days most manufacturers only give a full warranty for 90 days to a year. I'm not going to replace a $1500 laptop after a year.

Comment

I go to BestBuy and ask the sales associate questiosn about SLR's. Usually after the 2nd one I've got them stumped.

btw, eBay is my toy store

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                        I go to BestBuy and ask the sales associate questiosn about SLR's. Usually after the 2nd one I've got them stumped.

btw, eBay is my toy store
                        They don't have many experts in any of the sections

I wonder if the guys in the branded tshirts are any better. The guys with the "Sony", "Canon", "HP", "XBOX" shirts that is. I see them every once in a while.

Comment

It's better to buy computer hardware, cameras stuff, etc online as there is a much wider selection and lower prices.

And the problem you are having is what you get for buying anything from e-machines

Comment

A friend of mine is trying to get a laptop from Taiwan.....I'm very interested in seeing how it holds up

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                              A friend of mine is trying to get a laptop from Taiwan.....I'm very interested in seeing how it holds up
                              Most laptops, regardless of brand, are manufactured by Taiwanese companies.
                              Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                              No Frontiers

Comment

Working...
                              X