Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco decides that WWII isn't worth remembering...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco decides that WWII isn't worth remembering...

I can understand being against the war in Iraq, but this is carrying it too far. For once, I actually agree with a Democrat (!!), the Feinstein mentioned in the article. This is a disgrace to all WWII veterans, and all Americans in general.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...nned_warship_3

SAN FRANCISCO - The USS Iowa joined in battles from World War II to Korea to the Persian Gulf. It carried President Franklin Roosevelt home from the Teheran conference of allied leaders, and four decades later, suffered one of the nation's most deadly military accidents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Veterans groups and history buffs had hoped that tourists in San Francisco could walk the same teak decks where sailors dodged Japanese machine-gun fire and fired 16-inch guns that helped win battles across the South Pacific.

Instead, it appears that the retired battleship is headed about 80 miles inland, to Stockton, a gritty agricultural port town on the San Joaquin River and home of California's annual asparagus festival.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., a former San Francisco mayor, helped secure $3 million to tow the Iowa from Rhode Island to the Bay Area in 2001 in hopes of making touristy Fisherman's Wharf its new home.

But city supervisors voted 8-3 last month to oppose taking in the ship, citing local opposition to the Iraq war and the military's stance on gays, among other things.

"If I was going to commit any kind of money in recognition of war, then it should be toward peace, given what our war is in Iraq right now," Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi said.

Feinstein called it a "very petty decision."

"This isn't the San Francisco that I've known and loved and grew up in and was born in," Feinstein said.
    Article continues on link above...
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

awesome. go San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
      awesome. go San Francisco.
      That statement is incredibly ignorant. Why would you even say that? I can't grasp why someone would agree with a decision to reject a possible tourist attraction and chance to honor those who served during WWII.

Comment

I don't think history should be ignored just because some hippies and gay people will be upset by being reminded of it.

edit: These are the morons who did this.
        THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
        Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
        George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          That statement is incredibly ignorant. Why would you even say that? I can't grasp why someone would agree with a decision to reject a possible tourist attraction and chance to honor those who served during WWII.
          "All Are Men Created Equal"

Except...

1. If you're gay you can't serve in the military

2. If you're gay you can't get married

3. Why don't we just alter the Constitution, a document written to solely protect rights than to take them away so that gays can't get married, which is a religious institution, even though the first point in this document states a separation of church and state.

So, we've got Indian Month, Asian Month, Black History Month, Hispanic Month, plus Martin Luther King Drives, national memorial trails, national historic reservations, state parks, school mascots, you name it all honoring "these people."

So, you add the cast of Will & Grace to the face of Mount Rushmore (and maybe Morey Amsterdam while we're at it), and you can put your pretty little warships wherever you want to.

Comment

That's it, since sexual orientation and ethnicity are the same thing...

Comment

That's it, since sexual orientation and ethnicity are the same thing...
              gosh? is that the latest defense now in the discourse of all these actions?

thankfully i'm not a gay black man then.

i'd hate to be on two minority fronts.

and gosh, couldn't imagine what it would have been like to be an Indian...errr..oops Native American woman before being allowed the same "priviliges" as man.

oh, and speaking of women, where's their big honkin' memorial? i'm thinking Sojouner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Pocohantas, and Linda Evans would look awfully fetch on the other side of Stone Mountain.

Comment

You're using an ethnic argument to justify a lifestyle choice, which just seems flawed to me somehow.

Comment

stlgph,

How would you like it if we killed all of the gay people? Just flat out killed them. Jews and gypsies too. Think you would enjoy that? Well, my friend, that is what the outcome would be if Navy ships like the USS Iowa, which your friends in San Francisco won't allow, didn't defeat the Germans and Japs during WWII. You owe the fact that many gay people are alive today to that ship, so how about showing it a little respect, alright?

Its too bad those elected officials are just too ignorant or radical to realize that.
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

they picked an awefull time to get principles
                    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

This is stupid, they should let it in. A lot of WWII veterans live out here, including my grandpa. You'll see hundreds at any given airshow in the area. I think them and everyone else would enjoy having it here. This is just plain stupid.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                        stlgph,

How would you like it if we killed all of the gay people? Just flat out killed them. Jews and gypsies too. Think you would enjoy that? Well, my friend, that is what the outcome would be if Navy ships like the USS Iowa, which your friends in San Francisco won't allow, didn't defeat the Germans and Japs during WWII. You owe the fact that many gay people are alive today to that ship, so how about showing it a little respect, alright?

Its too bad those elected officials are just too ignorant or radical to realize that.
                        Eactly. If it won't for millitary ships and the men who fought with them, you would be killed for saying you are gay. Gay people should be proud of the millitary, because it protects thier right to be who they are. Furthermore, I think any gay person who wants to defend that right first hand should be allowed to do it.
                        THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                        Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                        George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

You're using an ethnic argument to justify a lifestyle choice, which just seems flawed to me somehow.
                          a lifestyle choice? you need to go back and rethink your own choice of words on this one and get back to me. no one choses their lifestyle. they live their lifestyle.

and if you want to talk ethnics and "the way things out to be in the principle of your eyes" then tell your mom she should go back and read some of the Cosmopolitan or McCall's Magazines from the 1950's telling her how she is expected to perform around the household as a wife with her husband as the head of household and sole provider. oh, and make sure she doesn't vote either or make decisions without consoling the head of the household, either.

then afterwards, get back to me on lifestyles.

Originally posted by herpa2003
                          stlgph,

well, okay, we can do that until you're blue in the face all you want to.

but, if it hadn't of been for the efforts of...

Akhenaten
                          Alcibiades
                          Alexander I
                          Alexander the Great
                          Amunullah Kahn
                          Antigonus II Gonatas
                          Antiochus
                          Augustus
                          Claudius I
                          Elegabalus
                          Frederick II
                          Gilgamesh
                          James Buchanan
                          Julius Caesar
                          Lian Jiawen
                          Mahmud
                          Pope Alexander IV
                          Pope Benedict IX
                          Pope John XII
                          Pope Julius II
                          Pope Julius III
                          Pope Leo X
                          Pope Paul II
                          Pope Sixtus IV
                          Saint Augustine
                          Smenkhkare
                          William III

etc. etc. for hours and hours, then none of our modern civilization would really matter because the western world would not exist as we know it. of course it doesn't matter because, their lifestyle doesn't make them worthy of full citizenship or recognition.

of course, since we're talking about World War II, we'll throw Eleanor Roosevelt on that list for good measure.

Comment

well, okay, we can do that until you're blue in the face all you want to.

but, if it hadn't of been for the efforts of...

etc. etc. for hours and hours, then none of our modern civilization would really matter because the western world would not exist as we know it. of course it doesn't matter because, their lifestyle doesn't make them worthy of full citizenship or recognition.

of course, since we're talking about World War II, we'll throw Eleanor Roosevelt on that list for good measure.
                            Nothing to do with this. We are talking about gays and World War II. Fact is, if it wasn't for ships like the Iowa, gays wouldn't be alive today. I think it is horrible that you are willing to forget the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of American KIAs just so that you can make a political statement about gays.

What's next? Are they going to omit D-Day from their textbooks because of the "don't ask don't tell" policy? I wouldn't put it past them...And it seems like people like you would support that.

Comment

Originally posted by stlgph
                              "All Are Men Created Equal"

Except...

1. If you're gay you can't serve in the military

2. If you're gay you can't get married

To the "can't join the military" list...
                              Let's add:
                              people that have a hearing problem...
                              people that have poor eyesight...
                              people that are overweight...
                              people with really flat feet....
                              people with back problems...
                              people with brain tumors...
                              people with lung cancer...
                              people with most other cancers....
                              etc., etc., etc....

And to the list of people that can't marry...
                              Brothers and sisters...even though they "love" each other..
                              fathers and daughters..
                              men that love two or more women...
                              people and animals....
                              people that love plants....
                              etc.....
                              are the above people normal? What if you are gay and lust after the hairy as$ of your brother? Is that considered sick and twisted? Or why isn't it o.k. to marry and have sex with your male dog? Should we make that legal and normal too?

Ewwww...

Comment

Working...
                              X