Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with the Bermuda Triangle.

Hi,

This is something that has been puzzling me quite a lot.

I know what the Bermuda triangle is, but does anybody here know what actually happens when we pass over the bermuda triangle.

I would love to hear all your theories.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

I remember seeing a TV show about the triangle, and I think I remember one of the theories. It was something about certain deposits in the sea floor made of some sort of compound (I forget what it was). But what I believe is said to have happened, is when there's any movement int he sea floor, this compund basically explodes (sort of), and boils the water, as well as cause "updrafts" in the water that can easily bring a boat down. If you look at most of the aircraft that have gone down, they are ones that cannot cruise that high, and could have very well have been hit by the large amount of water. Keep in mind, it has been a long long time since I saw this, and I really wasn't paying much attention anyway. So I'm just saying what little I remember. Anyway, this eruption has happened in other places, but has not really been witnessed in the triangle, but the sea floor is very similar to the sea floor where the "eruptions" occured. Once again, my brain could be playing tricks on me, so anyone feel free to correct me, or tell me I'm smokin something. But this is what I sorta remember.

Comment

The theory is that rotting vegetation and the like on and under the seafloor releases large bubbles of methane. As this travels upwards, it reduces the density of the water it is disolved in. This in turn reduces the buoyancy of the water, and a boat trying to float on the methane rich water simply cant, and will go down like a stone.

As the methane continues upwards having broken the surface (it is lighter than air) any aircraft that flies into it suffers a similar fate. As the gas is less dense than air, the lift that the plane can generate is substantially reduced and it just falls out the sky.
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

It's cursed, the devil lives there.

Comment

Yes, thats the other explanation!

Comment

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and during that time I crossed directly through the triangle quite often on the way to the Bahamas both in light aircraft and by 38 foot sailing sloop, once on a jet ski just for kicks.

The real problem is that there is some form of magnetic anomaly on the sea floor that will cause erratic readings from a magnetic compass. If you try to follow a magnetic compass in that area you will simply fly or sail about in circles. In an aircraft or power boat you will eventually run out of fuel and will be chalked up as another mysterious disappearance. I am fairly certain this is what happened to the famous lost Navy flight. A sailboat won't run out of fuel, but after long enough will run short of other provisions such as fresh water and food. Once the crew has expired a drifting boat is likely to be sunk by sea conditions.

The solution is usually fairly simple. In an aircraft you simply set your gyro compass before entering the triangle and then refrain from the usual practice of matching it up to the magnetic compass every 15 minutes or so to correct for gyro precession. The small amount of precession that will occur while transiting the triangle is minimal and navigation will not suffer by refraining from the usual practice. A pilot will notice a large divergence between the magnetic and gyro compasses during transit of the triangle. You also have a number of radio navigation fixes available and should use and trust them. GPS or LORAN makes it even easier.

My sailboat did not have a gyro compass but did have LORAN. I therefore constructed a simple clockwork mechanism that became a solar compass for transiting the triangle. It worked quite well and I never once had a problem.

As for the methane gas theory, I can assure you that would have been quite noticeable to the nose from as close to the sea surface as I was on the boat. I never experienced anything to suggest that there was an unusual concentration of methane. In fact rotting vegetation always gives off gas but without some kind of impervious lid to hold it to the sea floor it simply bubbles to the surface in small quantities. For the effect that some scientists have suggested you would need incredible volumes of gas that simply could not build up under normal conditions.

In some parts of the triangle there is very little surface or subsurface current. Because of this and the normally warm waters in that area you can often see large areas of vegetation growing on the surface. In the day these are usually easy to steer around but at night could possibly foul the propeller of a small craft.

One note of caution for those considering a transit: During a visit to the Coast Guard station at Opa Locka I asked the station commander what the ratio of people he pulled out of the water wearing only a life jacket was compared to those in a life raft. He told me flat out that in 13 years at the station they had never found anyone in the water wearing only a life jacket. All the people they had found during his time there were in rafts or life boats. So if you go, even though the law says you only need jackets for every passenger be sure to have a large enough raft along just in case. Engine failures do happen.

Comment

I never knew that - thanks! Would looooove to sail through that area!

Comment

Pirates also have quite alot to do with it too. Many smaller boats go missing or sink due to pirates.
                Earl From Regina

Comment

Watch out for the hatians coming in when sailing around there.
                  Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

The Bermuda Triangle is not a myth, really strange things happen there. Planes and boats disappear from the surface of the earth. Most reports indicate that there are severe electromagnetic disruptions in the area, disabeling all navigation instruments and even human sight. There are two explanations as for the cause. The first is that there have been secret tests by the US (sorry guys) during World War II, making use of Einstein's theories to create some kind of micro black hole (no kidding, it's theoretically possible). The second theory is that there's some natural phenomenon, like the magnetic north pole, but much stronger and more local.

Grtz,

Nicki
                    My JetPhotos.Net pictures

Comment

There's another theory, and that's aliens...

As to the US government theory, that doesn't explain why ships have disappeared there in numbers even before the US HAD a government and is just another conspiracy theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
                        The theory is that rotting vegetation and the like on and under the seafloor releases large bubbles of methane. As this travels upwards, it reduces the density of the water it is disolved in. This in turn reduces the buoyancy of the water, and a boat trying to float on the methane rich water simply cant, and will go down like a stone.

As the methane continues upwards having broken the surface (it is lighter than air) any aircraft that flies into it suffers a similar fate. As the gas is less dense than air, the lift that the plane can generate is substantially reduced and it just falls out the sky.
                        Yeah...thats what I was trying to say, only my memory was a bit fuzzy. Thanks Katamarino.

Comment

The theory I heard.

The therory I heard was that the lost city of 'Atlantis' was situated in the Bermuda Triangle. I personally don't know what to believe if anything. Just like with anything else until there is scientific proof i'll keep my mouth shut about whats wrong and right. (did that make sense?)

Comment

Originally posted by ceosea757
                            Whatever it is there it only happens to things a low altutude. Commercail airliners fly over the place all the time and nothing happens.
                            Knock on wood. Actually if anything did happen it would launch all the conspiracy theorist into a frenzy about the triangle.
                            Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Really I think it's alot of reasons that all add together. Some of these are the following.
                              1) The Methane is a widely known and respected theory.
                              2)Pirates are all over the area and are responsible for alot of events.
                              3)Storms and Hurricanes are constantly over the area and would definetely contribute.
                              4)That magnetic theory is also a good one. It might be a se spot on the planet like the giant red spot on Jupiter is or something. It could be this spot is where our magnetic enrgy chooses to reside.

Side Note- Nicki Mks, the event you are talking about was The Philadelphia Experiment. Noone is sure it really happened, but many say it did. I saw a show about it and supposedly the animals they left on the ship and possibly people were fused into the ship. It showed tops of bodies extending out of the metal of the ship and wild stuff like that. I feel this could be a little made up though.
                              Earl From Regina

Comment

Working...
                              X