Horrible Bus Explosion in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Bus Explosion in Texas

Probably the most heartbreaking news I've heard in a long time..

Can you image all those elderly people trapped on that bus with their oxygen bottles exploding one by one? And they're all too old and immoble to get off the bus

Thats horrible May the dead rest in peace.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Such a Shame! Those peole were trying to escape Death but little did they know this was going to happen!

Comment

that sucks

Comment

Thats an awful way to go. may they rest in peace

Comment

This tragedy illustrates one of the serious problems with charter buses in the US & Canada. In Europe it is common to have a second exit in the middle of the coach in addition to the main exit at the front, sort of like the middle door on a city transit bus. Not only is it a great safety feature, it expedites loading and unloading.

Coaches in the US & Canada do have emergency window exits, but they are hard to use. They are hinged at the top, so someone hoping to escape through one of these would have to undo the latch and hold open the heavy window while they took the 6 foot plunge to the ground outside, all this with the heavy window closing in on them. On European coaches they have a simple safety hammer mounted so that the window may be broken.

Mike
            Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
            lp.org

Comment

This is truly tragic, I can't imagine watching that and thinking my grandparents might have been on that bus. What a sad and terrible way to die. The last month hasn't been easy for our country, to many needless deaths of innocent people.

Comment

That's pretty sad.

Once in a while I see a bus with doors half way to the back, for handicap access. When they use them, they have one of those platform things that come down and you roll on them. There's seats in front of them normally though, guess it would be better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                  That's pretty sad.

Once in a while I see a bus with doors half way to the back, for handicap access. When they use them, they have one of those platform things that come down and you roll on them. There's seats in front of them normally though, guess it would be better than nothing.

Wheelchair lift access doors would be good emergency exits, since people trying to exacuate would only have to jump down from floor level instead of window level, but on two models of coaches I am familiar with, neither allows the access door to be opened from the inside! No emergency handle or anything. The other bad thing with these doors, they are normally kept locked so anyone trying to help from the outside would also not be able to open the wheelchair access door.

Mike
                  lp.org

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio
                    Coaches in the US & Canada do have emergency window exits, but they are hard to use. They are hinged at the top, so someone hoping to escape through one of these would have to undo the latch and hold open the heavy window while they took the 6 foot plunge to the ground outside, all this with the heavy window closing in on them. On European coaches they have a simple safety hammer mounted so that the window may be broken.

Mike
                    This never really occurred to me. I always imagined that those glass-breaking hammers are old and not as safe. Now wouldn't it be a lot easier if the emergency escape windows are hinged on the top?

Comment

neither allows the access door to be opened from the inside! No emergency handle or anything. The other bad thing with these doors, they are normally kept locked so anyone trying to help from the outside would also not be able to open the wheelchair access door.
                      Are they locked by design or do the operators have locks put on them? Seems like a great feature gone to waste.

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                      This never really occurred to me. I always imagined that those glass-breaking hammers are old and not as safe. Now wouldn't it be a lot easier if the emergency escape windows are hinged on the top?
                      They are The instructions make them sound very easy to operate too. Pull the red handle, or lift the red strip on the window sill and push. Van Hoolio make's it sound quite a pain to do though. I remember a couple TTC buses over the years that have had the window flapping around because someone had pulled that red handle. I never tried to lift it though.

Comment

thats really sad
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Mike
                          The ones that we take to my school events (we don't have school buses) are hinged at the bottom and just swing open and down. The guy that drives us everywhere talks about how every once in a while a kid will open one going down the interstate and it scares the shit out of him.
                          Tanner Johnson - Owner
                          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
                            Are they locked by design or do the operators have locks put on them? Seems like a great feature gone to waste.
                            They are locked by design, otherwise theives could gain entry into the coach. I understand that, but I don't understand why there is no way to open the wheelchair door from the inside with some sort of emergency latch release.

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                            The ones that we take to my school events (we don't have school buses) are hinged at the bottom and just swing open and down. The guy that drives us everywhere talks about how every once in a while a kid will open one going down the interstate and it scares the shit out of him.
                            Are you sure? Each of the three major manufacturers of coaches available to the US & Canadian market (MCI, Prevost, Van Hool) have the emergency window exits hinged at the top and latched at the bottom. That way the window will not fall and break if the window is inadvertantly opened. Technically, each emergency exit is supposed to be tested once a month, which would be difficult if the hinge were at the bottom. If one is opened while going fast down the road, it can catch in the wind, swing up and slap the roof, break out the window and bend the frame. Lot's of fun!

Mike
                            lp.org

Comment

This tragedy illustrates one of the serious problems with charter buses in the US & Canada. In Europe it is common to have a second exit in the middle of the coach in addition to the main exit at the front, sort of like the middle door on a city transit bus. Not only is it a great safety feature, it expedites loading and unloading.

Mike
                              yup, I remember our school busses in Germany had these little red hammers with pointy ends, you hit the glass once with that and it'll shatter allowing you to get out. Damn those were nice busses.

Comment

Working...
                              X