Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on your hometown?

Hi,

I am a resident of a city west of Toronto, Canada and the following is what I think about GTA from a University student's point of view:

Bad points:

. The city is very spread out which makes commuting a pain. It is very bad because I live in the Western part while almost all of my friends live in the East. (commuting to their place would take 2 - 2.5 hours!).

. Since Engineering is pretty tough and requires loads of homework and study, life gets pretty boring for 8 months where you have no personal life except for study or just crash on the couch whenever you get precious free moments (but this is not a fault of Toronto).

. There really is nothing to do in vacations except for night clubs or snooker clubs/bar which are places I don't hang out. Toronto should really consider making free gyms and more bicycle courses for cheap people like me.

Good points:

. Very clean as compared to some places on Earth I have been to.

. Heating facility in public and residential buildings during winter is amazing.
    You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

aic, which university are you in? I'm in Engineering Science at UofT.

The main problem with the GTA, as you say is commuting. This will not be an easy task until they consolidate all of the surrounding regional transit systems into one system, and for Christ's sake, let there be less than three different fares when coming from the suburb to donwtown! (I had to pay for Mississauga Transit, GO Transit, TTC)

Comment

I live in Edmonton alberta canada and this city is going crazy in terms of growth.The population is growing at such a insane amount and the city is growing far past its former boundries.We also now know that alberta is canadas richest province,thanks to the amont of oil projects in northern alberta.Our provinces surplus is close to 9 billion for 2005 alone.And the goverment is sharing the wealth with every man,women and child this year by giving all residents a $400 cheque,wich could come every year if the market keeps up.I like Edmonton as its easy to get around most of the time and the outlook is very good indeed for all parts of this province.Alberta is currently the leader in economic growth in canada.
      Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

Comment

Originally posted by YEG boy
        Our provinces surplus is close to 9 billion for 2005 alone.And the goverment is sharing the wealth with every man,women and child this year by giving all residents a $400 cheque,wich could come every year if the market keeps up.
        I don't know if that's really a good thing or not. $400 is $400, but it really is nothing. Won't you rather have then spend those 9 billion on public service improvements or post-secondary tuition reductions?

Comment

I think putting the money into projects etc is a great idea and I have heared they might be using upto 1-2 of it to upgrade parts of the province although this waits to be seen....

Comment

Seattle S-U-C-K-S! No explaination needed.
            THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
            Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
            George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

I dont really have a home town, and damnit, I kinda like it that way.

Now my place of current residence...that's a different story. I f**kin hate this place

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                Seattle S-U-C-K-S! No explaination needed.
                All a matter of opinion

As for Haines, I absolutley love it here. I love the small town feel. If I go to ASU for college I think I will recieve a major shock
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

LIVE - Shit Towne Lyrics

the weavers live up the street from me
                  the crackheads, they live down the street from me
                  the tall grass makes it hard to see
                  beyond my property
                  hey man, this is criminal,
                  this hard line symmetry
                  of people and pets

we don't bother anyone
                  we keep to ourselves
                  the mailman visits each of us in turn

we don't bother anyone
                  we keep to ourselves
                  the mailman visits each of us in time

gotta live, gotta live, gotta live
                  in shit towne
                  gotta live, gotta live, gotta live
                  in our town.

Comment

avro_arrow_2506:

I am studying Electrical Engineering at Ryerson University.

Wow, that is good you are enrolled in such prestigious program...work hard and succeed!

BTW, what year are you in and what do you plan to specialize into?

And also, do you know Alex Lui in 3rd year?
                    You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

Hmmmm well i live in London UK and have to say ive been here for the past 15 yrs since moving from lovely Canada to here. I was born here but raised for a good 20 yrs in Canada before moving back to this country.

My thoughts good and bad on London:

Bad:

Too expensive to live here, house prices are stupidly high for what you get and first time buyers are finding it extremely hard to get on the property ladder. Food is expensive here as well, well for the portions u get its quite stupid to be honest.
                      Crap weather...seriously i hate the weather here...now and again we get some good weather but hardly. Plus it rains alot and is quite damp so the cold gets into your bones. Yes i know Canada has bad winters but here its damp and cold and theres nothing more worse than that to be honest.
                      Rude people...god i hate the british attitude of thinking they are the best at everything...sorry you arent and never will be.
                      Pretty ugly women here, all the good looking chicks that i see or talk to are from abroad ie eastern europe etc. Compared to say Canada where i was for a few weeks back in August, i have to admit the Canadian women are sooo much cuter and gorgeous and most of them are pretty hot.
                      Too much crime here, in my area of london...when i moved here 15 yrs ago it was nice and peaceful. Now in the past month there have been 6 murders literally 20 mins from my door. Too many gangsta wanna bes around here and the kids here are completely off the trail here.
                      Also one of the most dirtiest cities i have ever had the misfortune of living in. The air pollution here is terrible and you get alot of people with asthma problems etc. But i find the place to be quite unclean on the whole compared to Canada, which was alot more cleaner. I found it very hard to litter while i was in Canada as it was so clean whereas here in London, you wouldnt think twice about littering lol. The subway system is old and falling apart as well and not only that the air in there is around 100 yrs old...so u can imagine the problems that go with that.

As for the good points??:

Well not many i can mention although London is a city where if you want to do something at 4 in the morning you can usually find something to do ie clubs, bars etc
                      Some pretty nice cars driving around but then bmws, mercs etc etc are pretty common and it kinda puts u off buying one. Especially when u see some 18 yr old gangsta wanna be driving a nice bmw, knowing that hes bought with his drug money etc. Whilst ordinary people like me, work our asses off and still struggle.
                      Good culture in London is one thing i do like, get alot of ethnic minorities here in the UK. Which in itself is a good thing and bad thing but so much to choose on what to eat if you fancy it etc.

To be honest thats all i can say about London, my love affair with this city has reached its limits and im itching to get out of here and get my ass back to Canada where i can give myself and my family a good upbringing like i had etc. I do like Toronto very much and thats where im looking to settle, most probably oakville where my brother and his family live. Not saying that Toronto hasnt got its own problems, im sure it does but compared to the UK and London its heaven to me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                        The main problem with the GTA, as you say is commuting. This will not be an easy task until they consolidate all of the surrounding regional transit systems into one system, and for Christ's sake, let there be less than three different fares when coming from the suburb to donwtown! (I had to pay for Mississauga Transit, GO Transit, TTC)
                        Depending on how much you use public transit, a GTA pass may work out well for you. Covers all the transit systems for (at the time when I bought them) $56 a week. It probably costs more now though

Originally posted by aic1985
                        . The city is very spread out which makes commuting a pain. It is very bad because I live in the Western part while almost all of my friends live in the East. (commuting to their place would take 2 - 2.5 hours!).
                        I know your pain there. I used to live in Etobicoke, on the border with Mississauga and getting out to see a couple friends in the Beaches area took way too long. It really did suck.

There really is nothing to do in vacations except for night clubs or snooker clubs/bar which are places I don't hang out. Toronto should really consider making free gyms and more bicycle courses for cheap people like me.
                        Toronto has alot of community centers that offer such things. And in the west end there's a few bike trails you could use, depending on where you live. Theres the one along the Etobicoke Creek (I think it goes from lake shore to the airport almost). One along Lake Ontario which I think goes across the entire city (Though smells bad at times). Along Eglinton, I don't know where this one starts/stops..I just used it to get to a friends place a few times. West Dean Park has a rather long trail thats good for biking, and has some decent scenery. That park also has a forest with trails for some almost decent mountain biking. There's a trail around Mimico some where, that one passes a community/YMCA center with various stuff to do. *These days I can't ensure you wouldn't get shot in any of those locations

Very clean as compared to some places on Earth I have been to.
                        Clean, but not as clean as it was by a long long shot. It used to be SO much nicer. Having seen how it used to be, I slap the cleanliness under bad these days. Guess I'm Spoiled.

Comment

Winnipeg's pretty boring...there's not really much to do at all, winter or summer...which means that I usually just end up driving around aimlessly with my buddies for a few hours, then going to Polo Park to terrorize the mall people. Or I just go flying...the best time-killer It's pretty damn cold (-50 ish) in winter, and pretty damn hot (40 degrees plus humidity) in summer...so the weather tends to get pretty extreme here, and add 10 feet of snow to that in the winter :P A bunch of my friends live in places like Reno/Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and complain that "I can't decide what to do tonight", which usually invokes a good "Shut the hell up" from me

Comment

Somebody needs to be a end to this,and I think I know who will.YWGJoe this is getting really old...

Comment

I'm still calling Arnold my hometown cause it's a hell of a lot nicer thaan Catonsville (where I got to school). Catonsville is like a coma with your eyes open.

Comment

Working...
                              X