Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USAir Flight 1016 Crash Pictures (Courtesy of Me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAir Flight 1016 Crash Pictures (Courtesy of Me)

This past weekend I spent some time at Charlotte shooting, pics soon to come, and some time in Charlotte downtown. Chris and I stumbled upon the US Air 1016 Memorial. We wanted to find it because we were told you could still see "skid marks" on the road from the aircraft.

From what I gathered the DC-9-31 was on approach to 18R when she encountered windshear. The pilots tried to execute a go around when it impacted the ground, veering off the runway to the right... through the airport perimeter fence, across a street/walkway (what I got pics of), and into a small neighborhood.

Here are the pictures.

This is the road the DC-9 crossed. See how the trees are leveled in that one section? Those markings are from the Main's where I would imagine were deflated and the metal was digging into the surface.

Here is the memorial

You can actually see the tire tread grooves

More markings caused by the gear

A long stripe that crosses the road, also caused by the gear

Assorted tire markings on the walkway and where the walkway cracked

Finally, another tire marking.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. It really sent chills up and down my spine when I felt the the markings with my hand.
    Ryan Davis
    Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
    www.flyerguide.net

*Napoleon voice* LUCKY!

Comment

I hope I don't offend anyone...
      I'm just curious to know why it says "Rescue and restoration" the picture of the memorial stone. What was being restored?

Nice pictures by the way. Did they not repair the road even after all these years as part of the memorial, or was it the fact that nobody uses that road any more?

Comment

Nice shots Ryan. Thanks for showing us a piece of aviation (Well the sad part of it) namely crashing and ends up with an evidence like in your images !
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Nice shots...I'll have to check that road out next time I am in Charlotte...
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I'm calling shinanagins...I think he just got a shovel and put those in there

Comment

It crashed outside of Charlotte on July 2, 1994 as a result of windshear. The fuselage is from another aircraft, possibly N565PC (cn 47240/346), which crashed on takeoff at Cleveland, Ohio on Feb 17, 1991. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on June 26, 1999.

View from the front. This aircraft crashed at Charlotte, NC on July 2, 1994. 37 fatalities. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on August 14, 1999.

Cockpit is N954VJ, fuselage is from another aircraft. N954VJ crashed outside of Charlotte on July 2, 1994 as a result of windshear. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on June 26, 1999.

Crashed in Charlotte, NC on July 2, 1994. 37 fatalities. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on August 14, 1999.

Picture of lavatory, aircraft right. This aircraft crashed in Charlotte, NC on July 2, 1994. 37 fatalities. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on August 14, 1999.

Crashed outside of Charlotte on July 2, 1994 as a result of windshear. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on June 26, 1999.

Cockpit of the 954 atop the fuselage of 565PC, 37 fatalities on the USAir flight, and the crew of 2 died on the Emery D9. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on August 13, 2000.

Picture of lavatory, aircraft left. This aircraft crashed in Charlotte, NC on July 2, 1994. 37 fatalities. - Photo taken at Maxton - Laurinburg / Maxton (MXE / MEB) in North Carolina, USA on August 14, 1999.

There are the pics. And I beleive they reconstructed it. Hope that answers your question... as you can kinda tell from the pics.
              Ryan Davis
              Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
              www.flyerguide.net

Comment

I understand why you posted the outside view of the *aircraft* but what's up with the toilet? why'd you include this ? Are you telling Thats the toilet of the crashed aircraft .?? do we care about the toilets ?

Hahaha Ryan

John

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                  why'd you include this ? Are you telling Thats the toilet of the crashed aircraft .?? do we care about the toilets ?

speak for yourself

Comment

do we care about the toilets ?
                    Speaking for myself: I can't live without toilets. Don't know about you though

Comment

LMAO. I love the throne. My good buddy.
                      Ryan Davis
                      Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                      www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Originally posted by ExpressJet145
                        LMAO. I love the throne. My good buddy.
                        yup, if it wasn't for the toilet, I would have forgotten how to read by now

Comment

Omg .. I hate the throne, I have seen it too many times when drunk,

Comment

Omg .. I hate the throne, I have seen it too many times when drunk,
                            as have I...the key is to drink more so that you dont remember that part of the night

Comment

Working...
                            X