World Series......How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Series......How?

With the White Sox heading to the World Series (facing either the Astros or the Cards), this got me to thinking. How can this matchup be legitimally called "The World Series" ? Save for The Blue Jays in Toronto, there is no int'l competition. I mean it is not lke the "World Cup" (my god, Soccer is....... DULL!") where teams from every continent participate. And how can the NFL Super Bowl champs be ocme the "World Champions" (see rant above)..

Just musing.

Aldo

you stick some baseball teams around the world for us and maybe we'll invite you

Comment

Originally posted by UFOSPACE99
      With the White Sox heading to the World Series (facing either the Astros or the Cards), this got me to thinking. How can this matchup be legitimally called "The World Series" ? Save for The Blue Jays in Toronto, there is no int'l competition. I mean it is not lke the "World Cup" (my god, Soccer is....... DULL!") where teams from every continent participate. And how can the NFL Super Bowl champs be ocme the "World Champions" (see rant above)..

Just musing.

Aldo
      I don't know about all that, but:

Go Astros!

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

There are players from all around the world, so that might account for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
          There are players from all around the world, so that might account for it.
          This is true, it seems mostly from Latin America these days.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

The best players from around the world play in America, hense, the world series.
            THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
            Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
            George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
              The best players from around the world play in America, hense, the world series.
              That's because no other country plays baseball.
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Eddie Izzard (comedian) talks about the World Series in his show "Dress to Kill" referring to the fact that almost every team in the MLB is from the US. I forget how it exactly goes, but he says something like:

"...and you've won the World Series every year? America's won the World Series every year! It's amazing that you've won it so often, especially in such a world event. Well done America...I don't know how you do it."

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                  That's because no other country plays baseball.
                  So I guess Japan just...doesn't exist right?
                  Bobby DeBarge
                  www.debargephoto.com
                  http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
                  1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                    So I guess Japan just...doesn't exist right?
                    Oh well, I must be missing the famous Japan vs. USA world series game every year then...
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I find it interesting that a game as popular as baseball is in East Asia (namely Japan and Taiwan) and Latin America, that there is not a global league. Yet Cricket is far more universally reckonized (well in the Commonwealth anyways, thanks to the British Empire) and played on a int'l level than baseball. I mean you have teams from say Fiji, traveliing to Jamaica or Australia to Sri Lanka playing test matches. Surely the Yankees could travel to Tokyo to play the Giants as a regular scheduled game. Granted some details would need to be worked out the fundemantals are the same. I would really like to see a true 'World Series' one day.

Aldo

Comment

Another reason it is the World Series is because the stupid Olympics removed it. There is enough interest in places like England and Italy and DEFINATLY Australia and Japan that MLB is seriously thinking about playing games there. Also, there is a World baseball tournement beginning this year (maybe into 06, I dont remember) where players and teams from around the world will play each other. Other countries do play baseball. And so help me God, if you like football (not the American kind) and you say baseball is borning, I may go insane.
                        Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                        George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Another reason it is the World Series is because the stupid Olympics removed it.
                          As far as I know, baseball is still part of the Olympics... unless I'm misunderstanding?

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                            As far as I know, baseball is still part of the Olympics... unless I'm misunderstanding?
                            You are. They took it and softball out of the Olympics.

Comment

You are. They took it and softball out of the Olympics.
                              Official home of the IOC. Find the latest news and featured stories, information about IOC members plus Olympic principles, values and legacy.

Official home of the IOC. Find the latest news and featured stories, information about IOC members plus Olympic principles, values and legacy.

Where did you get your information? I couldn't find any mentions of cancelling...

Comment

Working...
                              X