US Government supremacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Government supremacy

I was told that laws passed by the Federal government surpassed those made by local governments. So if the Federal government decides we should drive our cars on the left side of the road, Arkansas cannot refuse to follow that law and continue driving on the right.

So this brings me to my question: How does this rule apply with minimum wage laws? Minimum wage is $5.15, but some states have passed legislation that makes it higher. Wouldn't companies be required to meet the $5.15 Federal minimum rather than the state's $6.00 minimum? If the company is forced to meet $6.00, isn't that essentially putting state law above federal law? So this throws Federal supremacy out the window, right?

Or does the Federal minimum wage law allow states to impose higher wages? So the letter of the law would approximate to, "States can declare any minimum wage they choose so long as it is at least $5.15 per hour" rather than "The minimum wage of the United States is $5.15".

I would say something else in response to this, but I'll be nice.

State and Federal Laws along the same lines automatically work in concert with each other, favoring which ever one works for the greater good. If Federal Minimum wage is $5.15 and California wants to impose the law to be $7 to account for a higher standard of living, then so be it.

Comment

I would say that you need to read the bill as it was passed and then post about it.
      THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
      Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
      George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Working...
      X