Taking Bets on Iraq Invasion Dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not think he would be making such threats because he is a religious/Islamic extremist or whatever or because he just does not like the way you look. There MUST have been a reason in the past that made him feel that way, right?
    Yeah, just like four airplanes weren't hijacked and crashed into structures full of civilians a year and a half ago because the people responsible were Islamic extremists. Get real. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I strongly disaprove of US intervention in foreign countries affairs.
    Yet you're the first to come crying to the U.S. for help when something happens that you don't like, and you're the first to come crying to the U.S. for aide if it's needed. Make up your mind.

And yes it is clear as day if you read newspapers (not just US published ones) that in the end US is attacking Iraq for oil.
    Yeah, because a newspaper says it, it must be true. Can't you people make a decision without being told what to think? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'd like some clear-cut, factual examples of how this war is about oil. You say it is, but provide absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support your claims. Sounds like a cute catchphrase to me.

I'll tell you why it's not about oil, though.

First, the U.S. purchases more oil over a given time period from either Canada, Venezuela, or Mexico, than we do from the entire region known as the 'Middle East.'

Second, Iraqi oil prices are currently among the lowest in the world (ask France and Russia!) due to the fact that they are selling this oil illegally in violation of U.N. embargoes. Should a U.S.-led coalition attack Iraq, and put a pro-Western government in place, these sanctions would likely be lifted, allowing Iraq to sell its oil at comparable market prices as opposed to the drastically reduced prices it sells its oil at now.

In summation, an attack on Iraq would, no doubt, cause the price of Iraqi oil to increase. Tell me how this war is about oil again? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

N. Korea has potential, faciliteis and as a matter of fact HAS ALREADY developed according to some sources two nuclear warheads.
    You're absolutely right, and we can thank a man named Bill Clinton for this entire situations' occurance. Mr. Clinton during his presidency provided North Korea the very materials they have used to create these nuclear weapons, foolishly believing their claims that this technology would be used for humanitarian needs (ie power production) only.

You do make a good point, though.

The North Korean weapons program is, in almost all opinions, approximately 5-10 years ahead of Iraq's. The very same things which are now being said about Iraq were being said 10-15 years ago about North Korea. And, unfortunately, the rest of the world (again, foolishly) subscribed to the European spinless, pansy-ass "ignore the problem and hope it goes away" philosophy regarding North Korea. Now we're where we are today.

We cannot make that same mistake again.

And talking about people suffering, how about invading some of those war-torn African countries then if you are so keen on defending human rights all over the world?
    We provide more humanitarian aide to these war-torn African countries than any other country in the world. Aside from that, it is none of our business.

The reason it is none of our business, as I wrote in a post above, is because these countries are not in clear violation of U.N. and International resolutions which forbid them from the very activities they are doing.
    Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Comment

"And look it from the other side: If you want to intervene because of WMD, why not intervene in Pakistan, India and North-Korea. Those are much larger threats."

WHAT LOL? We are talking here about hostile nations. I dont see how Pakistan or India fall into this category right now. And N. Korea is being dealt with. Hello! by your thinking we should intervene in the UK and France also? They have nuclear weapons...it makes no sense. This regards terrorist support regimes that have genocide ideas on their mind.
      Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
      Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
      http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

"Yet you're the first to come crying to the U.S. for help when something happens that you don't like, and you're the first to come crying to the U.S. for aide if it's needed. Make up your mind."

Ehmmm... what exactly are you reffering to?
        As in military actions? or you mean financial help? What exactly do you mean?

Whatever that is, I think US should stop trying to dictate to countries all over the world what type of government it wants them to have.

And about the airplanes... first of all, even if Sadam HAD ANYTHING to do with IT (which has not yet been proven) he would not do it just because he did not like u...

Regards!

Igor
        MiGs ARE MASTERS

Comment

quote:
          Ehmmm... what exactly are you reffering to?
          As in military actions? or you mean financial help? What exactly do you mean?

I mean both.

I mean, when a natural disaster or the like occurs, everyone immediately looks to the U.S. to provide money, food, etc. to help those affected cope with the disaster.

I mean, also, that when a country oversteps its bounds (Iraq in 1990, for example), every country in the world looks to the U.S. to lead the coalition against the country in question.

Whatever that is, I think US should stop trying to dictate to countries all over the world what type of government it wants them to have.
          So it's okay to allow a government which continually oppresses and slaughters its own people to continue to rule unmolested? I see... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

And about the airplanes... first of all, even if Sadam HAD ANYTHING to do with IT (which has not yet been proven) he would not do it just because he did not like u...
          I never said Hussein had anything to do with that. What I said is that both 9/11, and the situation now with Iraq, are products of Islamic fundamentalism, and nothing else.

Since you are so convinced he "has a reason," why don't you tell us all what that reason could possibly be? That he's upset we wouldn't allow him to take over Kuwait in 1990? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
          Trump is an idiot!
          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Chris Kilroy:
            Yeah, just like four airplanes weren't hijacked and crashed into structures full of civilians a year and a half ago because the people responsible were Islamic extremists. Get real.

So they woke up and thought 'Hey, we're islamic extremists, lets kill Americans' did they? That would only be the case if Islamic extremists were SOLELY in existence to attack the US. And even so, there would have to be a reason for an attack. People dont kill thousands, including themselves, just on a 'Hohum, i've had it with sitting round in the cave'.
            I walked across an empty land
            I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
            I felt the earth beneath my feet
            Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by Katamarino:
              So they woke up and thought 'Hey, we're islamic extremists, lets kill Americans' did they? That would only be the case if Islamic extremists were SOLELY in existence to attack the US. And even so, there would have to be a reason for an attack. People dont kill thousands, including themselves, just on a 'Hohum, i've had it with sitting round in the cave'.

That is their sole purpose of existance. They are bred, raised, educated, trained, and shipped off to blow themselves and others up for reasons which only they know.

Care to respond to any of the other points I made above?
              Trump is an idiot!
              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

quote:
                Because those countries have not attempted to invade and conquer another country within the last 15 years, resulting in U.N. Resolutions which forbid the manufacture of such weapons.

Geez.. (and this is not directed only at you, Aeronautics) if you're going to try to debate, at least do a bit of research first. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Maybe you could do also some research [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]. May I remember you that North-Korea is officially still in war with the South?

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by PolishAir42:
                  I think its pretty ignorant of you to call Bush an oil man. Thats just a plain ignorant excuse by saying that we will take Iraq for oil. So we invaded other countries for oil too that were a threat to the US? Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Serbia...im sure we took all those for oil too.

Excuse MY IGNORANCE.
                  Didn't Bush make his millions from oil? [img]nod.gif[/img]
                  That in my book makes him an oil man.(I understand there are a few others in his government that have also made the odd buck or two from oil) [img]skeptical.gif[/img]
                  I stand by my original post,agreeing with the comments of MerchantVenturer.
                  Nobody mentioned Grenada,Serbia,etc... [img]offtopic1.gif[/img]

Comment

i'm just picking a date - 26th Febuary

Joe
                    | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

quote:
                      How do you suggest we "cut fuel use?" That is a cute catchphrase, but it is obviously a million times easier said than done. Research is going on every day for newer, cleaner alternatives to burning fossil fuels for energy -- but these things don't happen overnight. And until I can buy an electric car which will operate for more than 20 minutes, and goes faster than 30mph, I'll be sticking with my evil gas-burning engine.

Heres an idea - make do with a 2 litre engine rather than a 6 litre one. It'll get you there just as quick [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      I walked across an empty land
                      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                      I felt the earth beneath my feet
                      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Working...
                      X