Australia Foils Terror Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Foils Terror Attack

Way to go, Australia!! Show 'em who the boss is...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051107/ts_nm/security_australia_dc

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian authorities believe they have foiled a major terrorist attack, arresting 15 people on Tuesday during raids in the country's two biggest cities of Sydney and Melbourne.

The arrests come less than a week after Prime Minster John Howard said Australia received intelligence about a "terrorist threat."

"We believe ... we've disrupted a large-scale operation which, had it been allowed to go through to fruition, we certainly believe would have been catastrophic," New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney told Australian television.

The Australian Federal Police said 23 house searches were carried out under warrants in suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne early on Tuesday as part of a joint counter-terrorism operation with New South Wales and Victoria state police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organization.

Several searches were still under way, a Federal Police spokesman told Reuters.

"Nine men have been arrested and charged in Melbourne with terrorism related offences, some of which include intentionally being a member of a terrorist organization ... and intentionally directing the activities of a terrorist organization," he said.

Six men had been arrested in Sydney, but had not yet been charged, the spokesman said.

Australia's parliament rushed through urgent amendments to anti-terrorism laws last Thursday to allow police to charge people in the early stages of planning an attack.

Australia, a staunch U.S. ally with troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, has never suffered a major peacetime attack on home soil. The country has been on medium security alert since shortly after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

(Additional reporting by Michelle Nichols in Canberra)
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

[QUOTE=herpa2003]Way to go, Australia!! Show 'em who the boss is...

Damn straight! I guess seeing the Euro-Intifada carnage in France lit a fire under their ass.

Aldo

Comment

The unfortunate situation in France is not terrorist related. The problem in France is related to high unemployment, overcrowding and discrimination.

Alain can give us a better picture.

Comment

France problem can be contributed to the case of illegal immigrants? I reckon John Howard is crafty, putting this terrorist plan into place so the attention is drawn away from this industrial relations. Which has been blocked time and time again by Labour. Now he controls both houses frankly he can do what he wants.

But it needed to be done, it is obvious that the commonwealth games is likely to be a terrorist threat.

Looking at the polls, John Howard is now where he was in the Tampa crisis
        Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Originally posted by Ansett
          France problem can be contributed to the case of illegal immigrants? I reckon John Howard is crafty, putting this terrorist plan into place so the attention is drawn away from this industrial relations. Which has been blocked time and time again by Labour. Now he controls both houses frankly he can do what he wants.

But it needed to be done, it is obvious that the commonwealth games is likely to be a terrorist threat.

Looking at the polls, John Howard is now where he was in the Tampa crisis
          John Howard now has his worst approval rating ever! lets not fuck about here, he's a grubby little shit who lies to the Australian public time after time, first it was about the GST, then Tampa, David Hicks and it goes on! Labor didn't oppose the terrorism legislation, they backed it straight up last week! some members on both sides of the house were concerned about its powers though.

he thinks he can do what he wants in both houses, you have very little clue of Australian politics if you think that is the case, already Barnaby Joyce has voted down some of his measures, if members of the government senate cross the floor then his legislation goes nowhere! it's not as cut n dry as you make it!

as for these arrests....there has been nothing bought forward to say there was going to be a terrorist attack, just a bunch of talk from beauracrats that like the sound of there own voice! until we, the public see what they have supposedly foiled then it's impossible to say whether it's bullshit or not. the main word in the article posted above is "BELIEVE" and if they arrested 15 you can bet that 15 more are ready and waiting to pickup the slack!

next trips
          USA/DXB August.

Comment

Fuc*ing rights brothers, go get em!!!!!

RRRR!!! Aggression!
            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
              Fuc*ing rights brothers, go get em!!!!!

RRRR!!! Aggression!
              I don't understand what people mean when they make ego-inflating statements like these. Go get whom? 15 people? "Alleged terrorists"? I don't understand what exactly they have "got" here...
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                John Howard now has his worst approval rating ever!
                Hmm.... sounds like another president that I know of in the Northern Hemisphere...

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                  I don't understand what people mean when they make ego-inflating statements like these. Go get whom? 15 people? "Alleged terrorists"? I don't understand what exactly they have "got" here...
                  Nothing really, just a crowd yell.....
                  My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
                    Nothing really, just a crowd yell.....
                    Yeah, those always work well...
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
                    X