Experimenting with Night Photograhpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys...

And Paul.. i dont know if you checked the file name for the jpg, but i called it Lava

Eric: THanks man.. I'm jealous of yuour 10 minute exposures though! How can you get the Fstop up high enough so as not to wash out the picture?

Justin: The data is as follows:

F/9
    ISO100
    10 Second exposure
    Stopped down 2 steps

Comment

Originally posted by aloges
      That depends on the ISO of the film you're using or the ISO setting you choose on your digital camera. ISO numbers describe the photosensitivity of the film or the sensor, and as a rule of thumb you can assume the higher the ISO (the higher the photosensitivity) is, the more grainy the picture will be. So You could get a similar result with 10 secs, but it would probably be noticeably more grainy - or you have a killer camera!
      remember there is a thing called an aperture. To get the depth of field in this shot you would want a smaller aperture, which results in a slower shutter speed. Also a smaller aperture usually results in more points on the lights.

Nice one Tomas

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
        Eric: THanks man.. I'm jealous of yuour 10 minute exposures though! How can you get the Fstop up high enough so as not to wash out the picture?
        The illusion of my photos (Actually what I was trying to achieve) is the look of a lit road, a lit monument, lit artifacts, when actually there is no light present. To get this effect, on or near the full moon I go out around campus and find the darkest places I can. When I find my subject, I get my flash out and plan out how I want each "light" to look, and through the use of colored gels, I change the color of the "light." Effectively, using this technique I can create a neo-futuristic world in which holographic statues guide travellers down a desolate road (see number 2), or a glowing monument to fallen soldiers of past times symbolized by an atomic green rod at the nucleus (see number 1). Basically, all the "lights" are are carefully timed, carefully placed, and carefully colored flash bursts. Because the ambient light is so low and the flash is only on for milliseconds at a time, I can afford to have a higher aperture. Both of the ten minute exposures were shot at f/5.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Mungous
          remember there is a thing called an aperture. To get the depth of field in this shot you would want a smaller aperture, which results in a slower shutter speed. Also a smaller aperture usually results in more points on the lights.

Nice one Tomas
          I was thinking along the lines of using the same aperture.

Comment

Working...
          X