Black Friday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday?

I've heard it over the years, and today I've heard it a couple times on the radio, tv, etc...Why is the Friday after Thanksgiving called "Black Friday"? Is it similar to Canada and "Boxing Day"?

Just wondering

It is the busiest and biggest shopping day of the year. It is so crowded in the malls and stores, so its called black Friday.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
      It is the busiest and biggest shopping day of the year. It is so crowded in the malls and stores, so its called black Friday.

Alex
      Ahh, thanks...Big sales and such?

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
        Alex
        It is considered to be the official start to the Christmas season in the US. Many stores open at 5AM and some open even earlier. The news here is saying people started lining up at the Mall of America at 1:30AM this morning.
        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

That's nuts...I'd rather sneak away from work around 2pm and shop

Comment

Originally posted by bbuse
            It is considered to be the official start to the Christmas season in the US. Many stores open at 5AM and some open even earlier. The news here is saying people started lining up at the Mall of America at 1:30AM this morning.

Haha, I came home from Thanksgiving Dinner at my aunt's house and while there saw an add for a laptop for $445 USD. I took the flyer, and then saw that laptop advertised for $199 with a 12 month contract for AOL. My dad and I decided that we wanted to buy it and at 9:00 PM we decided to jsut see where the nearest circuit city was. We took the drive and on the way we kinda agreed that we would come back at three. When we got there, there were 4 people in line. I decided to stay there, and I waited in line from 9:15. At about 9:30 we decided to start a list, and by looking at the add we knew that there were only 15 per store. Haha, at 10:00 there were 25 people. I waited and waited, in the cold! Then at 4:30 after tonnes of personality clashes, and then all of those bloddy rumors, personelle came outside. Fight broke out, and then the police arrived with paintball guns. We went according to the list and the first 20 got certificated to present to get laptops. I bought mine for 455 (didn;t want to have to deal with the AOL crap...) and left at 7:48. HAHA! So Black friday wasn't that bad. Hell, if it wasn;t for today I wouldn;t be typing on this laptop right now!
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

The term Black Friday means stores that many have been in the red for the year, meaning they were losing money would go back into the black since the day after thanksgiving is such a busy shopping day. Hence the term "Black Friday" meaning being on the postive side of the ledger book. Some large retailers call it green friday now, green being the color of money. The black in black friday means nothing negative as some might think.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                The term Black Friday means stores that many have been in the red for the year, meaning they were losing money would go back into the black since the day after thanksgiving is such a busy shopping day. Hence the term "Black Friday" meaning being on the postive side of the ledger book. Some large retailers call it green friday now, green being the color of money. The black in black friday means nothing negative as some might think.
                Ah, excellent! I know about red/black..red ink being used to debit and such. I didn't know that's where to term for "Black Friday" came from though. Thanks for the explaination

Comment

Is it true that people are beginning to call the Monday after Black Friday "
                  Digital Monday"? I thought I heard that on the radio

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                    Is it true that people are beginning to call the Monday after Black Friday "
                    Digital Monday"? I thought I heard that on the radio
                    I think some call it "Cyber Monday" because so many online-retailers put up good deals on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
                    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
                    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Wow my friend made a joke about this that had me laughing for a few minutes. But I can't say it here, anyway everything is on sale on Black Friday.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                        Wow my friend made a joke about this that had me laughing for a few minutes. But I can't say it here, anyway everything is on sale on Black Friday.
                        Way to tease us! PM?

Comment

I thought that Black Friday was so-called because of a major stock market crash on the New York stock exchange. It's also the title of an awesome song by my favourite band Steely Dan. A lyric goes "When Black Friday comes I'm gonna stand down by the door; and catch the grey men when they dive from the fourteenth floor" A reference possibly to businessmen who committed suicide due to their losses.

Comment

There was the major stock market crash in, i think 1929, but that was Black Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                              The real deffiniting (According to CNN) Is that in the 1990s, stores would use black ink to cross of high prices and mark their sales. This black ink started a trend, hence the name black friday!

I love living in a small town where it snows 6.5 inches the night before and you don't leave your house till 8:30am and still got EVERYTHING you wanted:

1 19inch Samsung LCD monitor - $200
                              200 GB hardrive - $20
                              2 GB Panasonic MP3 player - $100
                              Cannon 7mp, 3x optical zoom, 2.5 inch screen - $350!!

Comment

Working...
                              X