No announcement yet.

BEHAVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that more of the point really IS how you handle adversity - name calling is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Being "picked on" is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. Gentle ribbing is not a big deal in the whole scheme of things. I think as adults, we get that.

To fly off the handle like some have done probably isn't the best answer to facing this kind of adversity. Part of being an adult is learning to not give a "darn" about the little stuff. Especially when it's an internet forum. This isn't the real world here, folks, believe it or not. This is just a forum about many things, some of which are tied to aviation. Each of us is here for a different reason.

You know, when I was 17, we didn't even HAVE something called the internet. I had to learn about "ribbing" the old fashioned way - face to face. For that, you should consider yourselves lucky - and I'm not saying you don't have to face that in the real world, but here on the internet, just suck it up and move on. Or better yet, think before you post. You can learn a lot here that can carry over to the real adult world - and thinking about your reaction before you react is one of those key things. I was probably a "late bloomer" when it comes to that.

So my point is, we're all here to have fun and laugh (and in my case, learn a little bit more about one of my interests - aviation), etc., and yes, there may be some teasing, etc., but get over it. I don't think any of it is ever intended to be malicious.

I am now gym bound. Enjoy your weekend, kids.

Comment

Well, the teasing did get malicious and that is what caused some people to explode in the way they did.

Secondly, if this is just an internet forum where nobody actually cares then why have any rules at all. Just dismiss any obscenity/profanity etc. as just another incident on just another internet forum.

So you see, it isn't just that simple.
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I agree with Indian Airlines here. I'm 47 and a dad (wow I am getting older) and I have said more than once I don't understand why people think they can insult people and get away with it. It is totally different if you are doing it face to face PHLY girl. First generally ribbing would come from your friend and not be in a public forum around the world and second if you didn't like the comment you could a) ignore the person or b) beat the crap out of him/her.
        This website had 700+ people registered to it but I figure less than 5% actually input any ideas or comments. Why? Have they been insulted in the past and don't bother anymore?, have they seen the insults and decided they don't want to bother getting ripped apart for their beliefs? or they just decided to move on and search out another website?
        Those "mature people" who are not teenagers need to think back to when they were in their teens. I bet you love older people ripping you apart everytime you open your mouth. Probably not! No need to do it here either.
        Yes people need to take ownership for what they write and yes we definitely have to be nicer. If you want to shoot down someones idea in public be a little more discreet (I hope your parents or your school taught you this) or send the person a message and destroy their self esteem in private.
        Even in a "off topic forum" we should be able to post our ideas without getting ripped apart. We have bosses, spouses and parents for that. And finally here is what my grandmother (she had 13 kids) used to say, "Get that pickle out of your arse and get moving." Time to get moving!

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
          I agree with Indian Airlines here. I'm 47 and a dad (wow I am getting older) and I have said more than once I don't understand why people think they can insult people and get away with it. It is totally different if you are doing it face to face PHLY girl. First generally ribbing would come from your friend and not be in a public forum around the world and second if you didn't like the comment you could a) ignore the person or b) beat the crap out of him/her.
          This website had 700+ people registered to it but I figure less than 5% actually input any ideas or comments. Why? Have they been insulted in the past and don't bother anymore?, have they seen the insults and decided they don't want to bother getting ripped apart for their beliefs? or they just decided to move on and search out another website?
          Those "mature people" who are not teenagers need to think back to when they were in their teens. I bet you love older people ripping you apart everytime you open your mouth. Probably not! No need to do it here either.
          Yes people need to take ownership for what they write and yes we definitely have to be nicer. If you want to shoot down someones idea in public be a little more discreet (I hope your parents or your school taught you this) or send the person a message and destroy their self esteem in private.
          Even in a "off topic forum" we should be able to post our ideas without getting ripped apart. We have bosses, spouses and parents for that. And finally here is what my grandmother (she had 13 kids) used to say, "Get that pickle out of your arse and get moving." Time to get moving!
          I'll tell you the reason why only 5% of people post, it's because of the immaturity of alot of the members. No the members are not adults either they are all under 16. I looked in a few months ago and saw what looked to be 10 year olds fighting in every thread, people whining about Johan and A.net, etc. It was ridiculous! I'm not saying every young person here is immature, I saw a few who weren't but it only takes a handful to ruin it for everyone else.

And if any of you are talking about me being immature, Scott and I were talking in PM's and he knows very well it was a joke. That's not to say I still don't think working for a "VA" is a little odd.

And Indian yes you are taking this wayyyyyyy too seriously. It's the internet and how anyone can be hurt by something someone says who they don't even know is above me..
          "You can run but you'll die tired."
          Semper Fidelis
          United States Marine Corp !

Comment

And you are ruining it now B757R! You don't seem to understand. My input and that from others feel that some people are out of line whether they be 15 or 25 or even 45. The point I am making is that we come here to toss in our two cents and either have someone input more information or agree with our info/opinion. Dissent is fine, just not in a derogatory way.

Comment

If someone has a valid opinion they should be able to post it without taking abuse from someone. That's what everybody has been trying to say.

Comment

Exactly what I have been saying.

Comment

Exactly what I have been saying.
                  No I don't think you have, my opinion is being a virtual captain is silly but you don't think I should be able to say that.
                  Semper Fidelis

Comment

If Scott say wanted to talk about his VA in the Flight Sim forum, he would have every reason to without someone coming in and slamming him. If somebody wanted to talk about corrupt regimes they could do it without being slammed. If you want to push your bid to be Virtual president without someone coming in and saying that you are crazy. The point is respect everyone and think about some else's reaction to your comments.

Comment

Dissent is fine, just not in a derogatory way.
                      Why can't it be derogatory? Does anyone really get their feelings hurt from someone else typing something? Jeezzzzzzzzzz.... Go outside and interact with real people kids.............

Comment

Secondly, if this is just an internet forum where nobody actually cares then why have any rules at all. Just dismiss any obscenity/profanity etc. as just another incident on just another internet forum.
                        I sincerely hope you people read.
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                          Does anyone really get their feelings hurt from someone else typing something? Jeezzzzzzzzzz.... Go outside and interact with real people kids.............
                          That's the point I'm trying to make! Some people need to interact with real life people if they get their feelings hurt over the internet.

No matter what anyone says to me or about me, I could care less. This is the internet, no one knows who I am, very few know what I look like so who cares?!?

I put my picture on hotornot.com - obviously I don't care what people over the internet think.. By the way, I have a rating of 78 and I'm "hotter than 72% of men on this site." :P

BEAT THAT KAT!
                          Semper Fidelis

Comment

Well obviously if there were no forum rules this place would errupt into mass chaos and eventually no one would come here. Who honestly goes into the world outside of these forums and thinks about what is going on in here. I don't. I went out and played 18 holes of golf today and the only time i ever thought about anything concerning aviation is when a plane flew low overhead, but i was cloudy so i wouldn't be able to see it anyway. But before i get too far off the point of making this post here let me make my statement...If you think sombody elses hobby is stupid or whatnot keep it too yourself, unless its a guy collecting dolls or something feel free to bash him all you want Just let someone have a hobby and dont complain about it. It's not your life.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by SWA733Captain
                              If you think sombody elses hobby is stupid or whatnot keep it too yourself, unless its a guy collesting dolls or something feel free to bash him all you want Just let someone have a hobby and dont complain about it. It's not your life.

Just my two cents.
                              Is that collecting or molesting dolls, that your trying to say?

Vote for me!
                              Semper Fidelis

Comment

Either or you should see a psychiatrist.

So i can't type

Comment

Working...
                                X