Blacks in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacks in Canada

In U.S. History, we always learn about the antebellum period when black slaves from the southern states would attempt to attain freedom in Canada. I realize not a large number of people actually reached Canada, but it seems there's no word of those who did.

This is probably a asinine way to back up my point, but of all the times I went to Toronto and Vancouver, I didn't ever notice a person of African descent. Historically speaking, did those blacks in Canada move back the the U.S. after the war or did they remain?

Seems to be one of those questions that even my history teacher can't answer...

Originally posted by ATLcenter
    In U.S. History, we always learn about the antebellum period when black slaves from the southern states would attempt to attain freedom in Canada. I realize not a large number of people actually reached Canada, but it seems there's no word of those who did.

This is probably a asinine way to back up my point, but of all the times I went to Toronto and Vancouver, I didn't ever notice a person of African descent. Historically speaking, did those blacks in Canada move back the the U.S. after the war or did they remain?

Seems to be one of those questions that even my history teacher can't answer...
    I dont know if they moved back to the US, but about seeing African Americans in Toronto, ever been to the bayview and shepard area?

Comment

There are many african americans in Canada (mainly larger cities like Montreal, Toronto, Ottowa, etc...) As for you question, I believe only a extreem small % of people made it to canada. (alive) However there was a point when in America, all run-away slaves had to be shipped back to the south (1850-Civil War) After the Civil War african americans stopped heading to Canada so that might be why the population of African Americans in Canada is so low.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
        I dont know if they moved back to the US, but about seeing African Americans in Toronto, ever been to the bayview and shepard area?
        Toronto has some rather nice African/Black/Caribbean communities; including restaurants, shops and festivals..There's one super kick a** Jamacian deli on Eglinton and (east of) Jane.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
          Toronto has some rather nice African/Black/Caribbean communities; including restaurants, shops and festivals..There's one super kick a** Jamacian deli on Eglinton and (east of) Jane.
          yeah, my dad loves that deli, so do I for that matter damn, now I'm hungry...... I hate you Brandon off to find some food....

Comment

I figured blacks in Canada would be rare....like blacks who skied :P Or whites on the basketball court :P:P
            ________
            Amber trichomes

Comment

Don't mix up the blacks of the late 1800's with the Caribbean blacks that are predominate in Canada now. A lot of blacks did make it to Canada via the Underground Railroad. There is a fair number in the Windsor-London area and in Halifax. The Canadian colonies did not ship any blacks back to the U.S.A (as far as I know).

The majority of the blacks we have in the YYZ area have come from the British Commonwealth Caribbean countries. The majority of blacks in YUL and area have come from the French speaking Caribbean islands.

Comment

Originally posted by dneedham
                I figured blacks in Canada would be rare....like blacks who skied :P Or whites on the basketball court :P:P
                WTH is that supposed to mean? I guess it's illegal for black people to ski or white people to play basketball?

Comment

There's lots of black people in Canada, some of American descent, and others come from the Caribbean & Africa.

In southern Alberta, the town of Brooks (population 10,000) has a very large black African community (Sudanese) whom have all come from abroad to work in the well paying industries in the area. It's great to see the ethnic & cultural changes even in the small towns of the country.

I believe the Toronto area houses the most per capita... we have many in Calgary but the ratio is higher out east.
                  My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Originally posted by dneedham
                    Nonsense, theres plenty of white people that play basketball and in most parts of the country neighbourhoods with large black populations are far from mountains.
                    Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                      Not to mention Victoria Park and Finch, Malvern, Jane and Finch??? Black guy I am working with is chuckling about this post, in fact 3/8 of the special constables I work with are black

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
                        Not to mention Victoria Park and Finch, Malvern, Jane and Finch???
                        The tourist areas!

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                          Don't mix up the blacks of the late 1800's with the Caribbean blacks that are predominate in Canada now. A lot of blacks did make it to Canada via the Underground Railroad. There is a fair number in the Windsor-London area and in Halifax. The Canadian colonies did not ship any blacks back to the U.S.A (as far as I know).

The majority of the blacks we have in the YYZ area have come from the British Commonwealth Caribbean countries. The majority of blacks in YUL and area have come from the French speaking Caribbean islands.
                          Adding to Dale
                          - the french speaking carribean island of origin is HAITI. Life in Guadeloupe, Martinique and French Guyana is too comfortable due to their status as "Departements" putting them on the same footing as any part of metropolitan France.
                          - over the years, a strong African community keeps developping. Cameroonians cater for the predominent nationality. Next time you travel to YUL, getting the latest news from either Douala or Yaoundé should be a piece of cake. In its dormant plans, UY keeps envisionning an extension of its wings to Montréal !
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                          X