Processor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Question

Right now I have a 2.4ghz processor with a 533mhz FSB. My motherboard is only supposed to support up to a 533mhz FSB processor, but I am wondering if I were to get a 3.4ghz processor with a 800mhz FSB, would it work on my motherboard?

The only reason I ask this is because my motherboard is only supposed to support DDR RAM that runs at 333mhz, but I have 400mhz DDR RAM in there, and it works fine, just runs at 333mhz instead of 400. So I'm wondering if the FSB on the 800mhz FSB processor would just run at 533, or if it wouldn't be compatible at all?

The board is Intel, with processor socket 478.

I have a motherboard with 800 FSB but a processor with 533 FSB. Dont know if it works the other way around though.

Comment

It wil work, I just think it's a waste of money processor wise.
      My suggestion; save some more untill you can also buy a new motherboard and enjoy the higher FSB and RAM speed.

Comment

You sure it'd work? If it did there'd be a HUGE bottleneck. Plus AMD CPU's are better than Pentiums now-a-days (at least gaming wise). DDR400 running at DDR333 is OK. DDR400 is the highest the processors can go today without DDR2 I believe anyways. Anything above DDR400 is usually for overclocking purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
          You sure it'd work? If it did there'd be a HUGE bottleneck. Plus AMD CPU's are better than Pentiums now-a-days (at least gaming wise). DDR400 running at DDR333 is OK. DDR400 is the highest the processors can go today without DDR2 I believe anyways. Anything above DDR400 is usually for overclocking purposes only.
          Well, I have a pentium board already so I can't put an AMD. I see what your saying where the processor would want to operate a 800mhz, but the board only supports 533mhz, so things would get backed up. Never thought of that.

I think i'll just hold off on a new processor, as anything above 2.8ghz has a 800mhz bus, and just build a new AMD box eventually. Not gonna get a new motherboard, cuz i just don't feel like taking everything out and then putting it back together again. Rather just build a new souped up box sometime later in the future.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Airbus,

A 3.4ghz processor with a 800mhz FSB will "need" to run on a motherboard that supports 800mhz FSB. More for value and processing power. Newer too.

Comment

Working...
            X