Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business

This has to be the biggest and most shocking news before the upcoming PMA show, Konica Minolta has today announced that it is withdrawing from the camera and photo business. They will be transferring assets related to their camera business to Sony who will continue to develop digital SLR's based around the Konica Minolta lens mount. Konica Minolta it appears will continue to work with Sony (a relationship announced last year) in the development of digital SLR's and lenses but they will not be branded as or be sold by Konica Minolta. Full announcement and details of the Sony asset transfer inside.
    More detais: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...minoltaout.asp

I'm sort of surprised actually. Their consumer cameras seemed to be doing pretty well.

Wow that's big news! Also I heard Nikon is not making any 35mm cameras any longer except the F6.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Well I had heard that Konica was withdrawing from the camera business in Canada, so one had to wonder how long it would be before they scrubbed it altogether.
      Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
      EF 50mm 1.4 USM
      EF-S 18-55mm
      EF 28-135mm IS USM
      EF 70-200mm f4L
      EF 100-400L IS
      1.4X II Teleconverter
      Canon 420EX Speedlite
      Canon 430EX Speedlite
      Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

WHAT?!?!? I was planning on getting a Z6 later this year since that's what my dad has Looks like I have to look for something else... hm..

Comment

This news was a surprise to me, but probably shouldn't have been a surprise when you consider how competitive the digital camera market has become. I have a feeling that we will see others follow and get out of the camera business.
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

damn, thats surprizing, I was thinking of getting a 7D too, oh well, c'est la vie!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
              damn, thats surprizing, I was thinking of getting a 7D too, oh well, c'est la vie!
              You might be able to get one fairly cheap soon if there are any hanging around out there on store shelves...I wonder if they'll still service their existing equipment or not.
              Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
              EF 50mm 1.4 USM
              EF-S 18-55mm
              EF 28-135mm IS USM
              EF 70-200mm f4L
              EF 100-400L IS
              1.4X II Teleconverter
              Canon 420EX Speedlite
              Canon 430EX Speedlite
              Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                I wonder if they'll still service their existing equipment or not.
                I was thinking that too. Or will Sony do it now? At least all those KM mount lenses out there will be compatible with future Sony DSLR cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                  You might be able to get one fairly cheap soon if there are any hanging around out there on store shelves...I wonder if they'll still service their existing equipment or not.
                  yeah, I already have all the KM lenses, and a KM film body, but I think I'll be just as good going with a 350D and some L.

I'm betting that Sony will take over completly, i.e. sales, product development, repair, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X