Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is in favor of Affirmative Action and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATLcenter
    replied
    Well I guess this and that didn't set off my sarcasm. Man some people on these forums cant take a break. You all know stressing so much is bad for your heart right?
    soon as i hit post, I saw the smileys and I felt really stupid....

Leave a comment:

• jwenting
    replied
    Originally posted by iceman
    Affirmative action goes both ways – in hiring and firing. I’m almost certain I have been affected by this policy in both ways.
    True. I may have been adversely affected by that by being passed over for jobs.
    But in this country it's customary (it's even in the honour code for HR people that they learn during their training) that applicants never see each other and apart from the actual number of other applicants are not given details about each other so I can't be certain.

And, contrary to popular belief, affirmative action does not apply to race alone; gender is also affected. Studies have shown that the group that has by far benefited the most from this policy has been white females. It’s funny how nobody, even on this forum, brings this fact up – nor does anyone really complain.
    Over here that's a different campaign. While related it's distinct from the campaign to promote minorities (though the effects are the same).
    Women too indeed get all kinds of perks, but to say it's only white women that have benefit is wrong. At least in our system the ones benefitting most are black single mothers, they get special perks from at least 3 programs: they're black, they're single mothers, and they're female.

Leave a comment:

• Soku39
    replied
    Well I guess this and that didn't set off my sarcasm. Man some people on these forums cant take a break. You all know stressing so much is bad for your heart right?

Anyway my grades are good enough to get into college, and I honestly dont care either way. If you do the work you should be allowed in plain and simple if you dont your gone. On the matter of money I can get from AA scholarships, well sure I'll take a freebie or two from the government who wouldn't ? I know your gonna say I'm white and I dont get that money, but we all know there is plenty of money out their that goes unclaimed each year. I don't think AA should be as exstensive as it is in the workplace, but if you think theres no more racism left in the USA you really need a reality check. As for people who depend on AA to make manager at McDonalds cause they never got an education... well screw 'em, and they're the people who make the whole program look like a damn joke.

Leave a comment:

• iceman
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcenter
    For it.... uh reasons well I'm black, and thats about it.
    Even though I am part of the Indian minority in the USA, I proudly stand against affirmative action.
    As well you should; studies also show that AA works against Asians and Indians the most.

Leave a comment:

• ATLcenter
    replied
    Even though I am part of the Indian minority in the USA, I proudly stand against affirmative action. It is a rather silly idea. First off, why should it matter if all the students in a school are one race? IF the school accepts 300 new kids a year, and all of them turn out to be one race, and they are the best, then the top 300 should get in. Condensed version is, base it on merit.

In 3 years, it will be me trying to get into a good college, and I hope I do not get rejected, or even accepted, if I am not truly supposed to go there. I do NOT want to go to a school who has accepted me to fill a quota or anything like so. I will work my way in, as kids should do.

For the older people who essentially allow or ban affirmative action, all I can say is, choose wisely, for your actions affect millions.

Leave a comment:

• iceman
    replied
    Affirmative action goes both ways – in hiring and firing. I’m almost certain I have been affected by this policy in both ways.

And, contrary to popular belief, affirmative action does not apply to race alone; gender is also affected. Studies have shown that the group that has by far benefited the most from this policy has been white females. It’s funny how nobody, even on this forum, brings this fact up – nor does anyone really complain.

Some personal experiences. I had an interview with this one economics consulting group a few years back. The position was in the area of something I was very adept with and I thought I completely bagged the interview. I remember in the waiting room chatting up with a young lady who was interviewing for the same position. She was really cute, but she didn’t seem to have a grasp of what this job entailed, she wasn’t a US citizen (from Italy) and her English skills left much to be desired. Clearly, I thought I was the better man for this job. I ended up losing out to her for who knows what reason. I think they missed out.

Also, when the agency I worked for in my last job laid-off people, they mostly got rid of male employees (myself included) regardless of race – not a single female employee was let go. I also found in interesting that only female employees were actively promoted. Not to say that there weren’t any qualified females workers – there were – but some of the promotions would really make you scratch your head and wonder what the supervisors were smoking.

In short, I think Affirmative Action is a failed policy that causes no good and only creates frustration and division. On the same token, those who think it only applies to race are just as bad as proponents of this disastrous policy.

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    What if the same quota system were in effect for having pictures accepted to the database?

Leave a comment:

• AndresDuque
    replied
    I think the selection should be based on grades.

Leave a comment:

• AndresDuque
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffinDEN
    Andres, Not everyone loves "freaking" God either! But that would be another topic...
    I know....and believe me you find some weird stuff about the catholic religion...

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    Andres, Not everyone loves "freaking" God either! But that would be another topic...

Leave a comment:

• AndresDuque
    replied
    Why should you care about where someone is from, or what languagehe/she speaks or what they freaking look like...the important thing is that they are doing something for themselves and they want to change and get educated. For the love of Freaking God they should be equal to everyone no matter how pretty or ugly you are.

Leave a comment:

• Soku39
    replied

Leave a comment:

• B757300
    replied
    Actually, the reason Texas ended affirmative action was not because Bush was governor but because the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in Hopwood v. Texas that colleges could not use race as a factor in admissions. Texas adopted the same system Florida uses where the top 20% of students from any high school will automatically be accepted to any state sponsored school. I don't have numbers for the Texas schools but Florida released ones the day the S.C. issued their foul up. It showed that by allowing the top 20% automatic admission to college that the all important "diversity" actually increased all without the need for reverse racism.

In other words, the best & brightest were getting into college just fine and more minorities were attending then during the time affirmative action was used.

As a side note. One of the main reasons the Court even heard the case was because of the disagreement by the 5th and 8th Circuit Courts of Appeal. The 5th had said affirmative action was unconstitutional where the 8th had said it was ok. Almost every time different Courts of Appeal issue rulings that are in conflict, the S.C. will review the case. Similar cases to watch for next term involve disagreements between the 5th and 9th Circuit Courts of Appeal. One deals with the rights of citizens to own guns (i.e. does the 2nd Amendment apply to the states or to the people?) and the infamous 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling on the Pledge of Allegiance. Lets just hope the Court keeps up the tradition of overturning the 9th Circuit Court about 80% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Freightdogg
    replied
    The Bush administration sent a brief earlier this year to the Supreme Court recommending that the decision of the Michigan State Supreme Court that supported affirmative action be struck down.

When Bush was governor of Texas that state also did away with affirmative action with regard to admissions to state colleges and universities.

Leave a comment:

• indian airlines
    replied
    Is the Bush govt. for or against affirmative action?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X