Apple Mini-Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Mini-Mac

Went to the highly liberal (shutter) Apple store yesterday to look at the mini-mac. I like them but they lack a lot of items I think I need.

(1) Audio input. (I run a fire department feed through the WWW and need an audio input to keep it running)

(2) Graphic card seems small 32mb's I have a 64Mb card now and this computer is old.

(3) I can not use my current software Photoshop CS, Office Xp, ETC, ETC. Without going out and buying it all again.

(4) Lack of USB ports. (Yes this can be fixed via a 8 port hub)

Nice things

(1) Its a MAC so its safer.

(2) Size of the unit. About the size of a 50 pack of CD's.

(3) Able to use current monitor/Keyboard/Mouse

(4) Looks just as easy to use as a Windows based unit

(5) Support

(6) Software

So I'm kinda hung up on everything right now. Any of you Apple geeks and nerds have anything to say about it?

Originally posted by kcmh

(3) I can not use my current software Photoshop CS, Office Xp, ETC, ETC. Without going out and buying it all again.

This problem can be solved by using "Virtual PC". The software isn't cheap, but it's way cheaper that buying PS and Office again.

BTW, some guy out of the UK was selling Virtual PC for 15 Pounds on Ebay. Probably an illegal copy though.

Macs are cool. But don't forget that the MAC Mini is "only" the entry-level MAC. If you have the cash, get the new iMac. I'm thinking about it, too.

Comment

I hate Macs personally, but I am beginning to like the G5 I use at work. It has 2 2.5GHZ processors, 500gigs of RAM, awesome video card. On it we have Garage Band and all the jam packs. We also have the full Final Cut Pro package, which kicks a$$
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
        500gigs of RAM
        500 GB RAM?

We also have the full Final Cut Pro package, which kicks a$$
        That's some expensive software. Do you use it for work? Did it come with the MAC? I've "only" got Final Cut Express.

Comment

Yes to both of those. We have it tricked out just for video work. It is for work, but we can use it for personal projects if we want

Comment

Sat down with a apple rep and really checked out some of the features of the IMAC Duo Core Intel units. WOW. Screw that mini mac thing IMAC is what I want.

The G5 units were great but to high priced and I do not have and or need two monitors.

Speaking of monitors. I love my NEC 1850E but if I get the IMAC I will not need it.

Software, most of the standard stuff on MAC will cover all of my needs. I will be without Photoshop CS unit I can get a replacement, (Ouch) I was worried about my office PRO stuff but MAC has everything I need. The address book is great and will do everything I need it to do.

But the bad thing is. I my have to sell one of my guns to help finance this deal, so looks like the G17 will be going bye bye soon. DAMN!!!!!!

Anyone have a good free windows emulator??

Comment

500gigs of RAM,
              Yeah, sure.
              My photos on jp.net

Comment

Originally posted by PortColumbus
                Yeah, sure.
                He's probably got an interesting array in his basement... but to think of the nightmare addressing all that RAM!

Comment

I'm dying laughing at that spec of 500GB of RAM.
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

From www.Apple.com

With its 64-bit processor architecture, the Power Mac G5 can address more memory than any previous Macintosh and many desktop PCs. All Power Mac G5 systems can hold up to eight 2GB DIMMs for up to 16GB of memory.
                    That's a lot of RAM, but nowhere near 500GB. I do not believe there is any desktop capable of such an amount. Windows 2003 server enterprise edition can now handle 32GB. It would take a multi million dollar graphics super computer like the type used in hollywood CGI studios before you would even approach anything near 500, if even then.

Comment

Sat down with a apple rep and really checked out some of the features of the IMAC Duo Core Intel units. WOW. Screw that mini mac thing IMAC is what I want.

The G5 units were great but to high priced and I do not have and or need two monitors.

Speaking of monitors. I love my NEC 1850E but if I get the IMAC I will not need it.

Software, most of the standard stuff on MAC will cover all of my needs. I will be without Photoshop CS unit I can get a replacement, (Ouch) I was worried about my office PRO stuff but MAC has everything I need. The address book is great and will do everything I need it to do.

But the bad thing is. I my have to sell one of my guns to help finance this deal, so looks like the G17 will be going bye bye soon. DAMN!!!!!!

I'd love to get the new iMac. We hat ten "old" iMacs at the place I used to work at. They were the ones with the swivel-screens. I really liked them, too.

I think Virtual PC is the only way to get your Windows software to run on your Mac. Again, it's expensive. The guy I told you about selling copies of Virtual PC on Ebay for 15 Pounds is no longer an Ebay member. He's probably in jail, or something.

Comment

OK, so I am not a computer guru. I guess RAM was the wrong thing. We have 500GB of memory of some sort.

Comment

Just in: Now available:

Comment

Working...
                          X