Finally-NYS: Math Regents Thrown Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally-NYS: Math Regents Thrown Out

Finally the NYS Department of Education has thrown out the scores from the Math A regents after huge numbers of students failed the test. At my school, only 11% passed, at Carthage, 10% passed, at Syracuse, 120 out of over 1000 students passed. One school even had rates as low as 8% passing. Anyways, here's the article:

Tuesday, June 24, 2003, 1:25pm
    The state's education commissioner is saying local school districts can throw out the results of a mathematics Regents exam and substitute class-work results for gauging eligibility for graduation.

The high failure rate on last week's exam has led to the question of the test's fairness.

The state immediately began reviewing the results, and advised schools to allow students to attend graduation ceremonies even if they failed the test.

About 3,000 graduating seniors who were otherwise in good academic standing, flunked.

Commissioner Richard Mills also says the math test planned for August will be suspended to give officials more time to review the June results, and figure out why so many students had failed.

Freshmen and sophomores will take the test again.

What do you think? Send us an E-mail by clicking here. Leave your name if you wish. We may use your comments on Your Turn With Diane Rutherford seen on 7 News At 6 every Monday.
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

WTF...i got all worked up over that exam and now its all to waste. Im happy it was thrown out though. It was hard as hell.

Comment

Hmmm, only a 10% pass average? Maybe they should throw out the math teachers rather than the test.

Just kidding, I went to school in NY state and remember all of the state regents exams as brain busters. The one good thing that I can say about them though is that when you know you have to pass them to graduate you DO tend to study harder and pay more attention in class. New York State's educational system has consistently rated fairly high in the national average and I think those tests are the reason why. More states should adopt a similar testing system rather than simply graduating students just because they have put in the required time in class.

Sounds as though this year's Math test may have been written by an over-zealous Regent's Board who forgot they were testing High School seniors and not Math Doctorate candidates. But even with the test results being thrown out I would bet those students that had to face it were better at math overall than students who never have to take such an exam to graduate.

Comment

They should have thrown out the Physics regents as well! They ask stuff that we never learn
        Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Originally posted by N27015
          They should have thrown out the Physics regents as well! They ask stuff that we never learn
          Even the physics teacher at our school couldn't do four problems on the regents...now that tells you that there is something wrong with the test.
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
            Originally posted by N27015
            Even the physics teacher at our school couldn't do four problems on the regents...now that tells you that there is something wrong with the test.
            Or something is wrong with the physics teacher

Comment

Working...
            X