Terabyte computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terabyte computers?

Perhaps some of you hardcore computer guys vcan answer a question. Bascially what I want to know is when the first terabyte computer made it's mark? I seem to recall that this is something that has been in the theroitical/development stage for decades and only recently did Cray, IBM and even Apple annouce that they had broken the terabyte barrier. My friend whom I have a wager with states that goverment agencies, such as NASA and the like have been using these monsters since the 60s, which I find hard to believe. I can not seem to get a accurate history of this technology from Google.

Of course now one can go down to your local Fry's or CompUSA and pick up a terabyte HD for about $800.00

Aldo

A terabyte in a single storage unit or a TB in clusters? IIRC, there were tape systems that could hit the TB mark. Those were HUGE carts that needed to be shuffled around with machines.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOSPACE99
      Perhaps some of you hardcore computer guys vcan answer a question. Bascially what I want to know is when the first terabyte computer made it's mark? I seem to recall that this is something that has been in the theroitical/development stage for decades and only recently did Cray, IBM and even Apple annouce that they had broken the terabyte barrier. My friend whom I have a wager with states that goverment agencies, such as NASA and the like have been using these monsters since the 60s, which I find hard to believe. I can not seem to get a accurate history of this technology from Google.

Of course now one can go down to your local Fry's or CompUSA and pick up a terabyte HD for about $800.00

Aldo
      Ask me in about three years when I complete my computer science degree

Comment

Today in my Tech class my buddie and I were checking out the Canada Computers site looking for a new Hard Drivefor my PC, so we stumbled upon a 10TB Digital Tape Drive, it was only $24 000.00, so why not go buy two?

Comment

Working...
        X