Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAL767-400ER
    replied
    As someone who has been using Windows since 1998 and with Mac since 2004, I can safely say that in my 8 years with Windows, I have had less crashes than with Mac OS 9 in 2 years. Guess it pays off when you know a "computer nerd" that can get you all the necessary security software . Plus, there are never issues with other companies wanting to send you data files and other stuff. Can't count the times I have had to use my Windows PC for work because our Mac at work couldn't open the Windows-generated files our customers sent us.

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man

I'm sorry but it's common knowledge in Anti-virus/spyware circles that Norton's is the biggest load of shitware/bloatware/systemslowdownware known to man kind.
    Corporate Edition is pretty decent though. I get to use it for free from school.

Leave a comment:

• Genessee
    replied
    Zone Alarm
    Almost as good as Norton

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanner_J
    That would more than likely be the fact that your school has sub-par computers. My school is constantly ranked the best public school in the state; so the state decides they should spend more money on the other schools giving us nothing. We are trying to run on crappy machines; therefore it's not Windows fault; it's the crappy computers we are forced to use.
    Most of those computers are brand new. I think the only thing wrong is the software installed on the server. They probably got corrupted somehow.

Anyway, I'm happy with WinXP and MS Office i use at home. I never have any major problems with them

---
    I'm a bit surprised that many of you are so defensive in your responses. I only intended to posted this as "light" news..

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by Mungous
    That's true, but also if you think about it quite a bit of the charity work will get something in return, as well as good publicity. For example when a person saves the money donated to them they can eventually buy Windows!
    I'm sure the starving kids in Africa that he paid to feed/immunize dont realy give a rats ass about windows, if they even know what it is. If Bill gates was just trying to get more people to buy windows, he would have invested this money in an advertising campaign, much more useful.

Leave a comment:

• Chris@YYZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanner_J
    That would more than likely be the fact that your school has sub-par computers. My school is constantly ranked the best public school in the state; so the state decides they should spend more money on the other schools giving us nothing. We are trying to run on crappy machines; therefore it's not Windows fault; it's the crappy computers we are forced to use.
    last time I checked, Henry was an Engineering Sutdent at the University of Toronto, so I doubt they'll have sub-par computers

Leave a comment:

• Tanner_J
    replied
    Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
    You should have been in our school's Windows labs the past few days. I've never heard so many ways one can swear at a computer..

Leave a comment:

• Messerschmitt Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Crism
    Norton Antivirus 2005 and it works like a charm.

I'm sorry but it's common knowledge in Anti-virus/spyware circles that Norton's is the biggest load of shitware/bloatware/systemslowdownware known to man kind.

I'm serious when I say if I was paid to use it I would still turn it down. It hogs system resources like never before, hell you have to download a program just to un-install the heap of crap properly. The program itself is not that good either.

You can be better protected without paying any money and without your system slowing down with the follow combination.

-Free Zone Alarm firewall
    -AVG free
    -Ad-aware
    -Spybot
    -Ewido (for scan's only, not real time protection)
    -HyjackThis log for posting at certain forum's like http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showforum=48
    -Opera or Firefox as web browser

And using the internet with common sense.

Just google "Norton Antivirus 2005 user opinions" The first hit will take you to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...247333-4178506 out of 201 reviews Norton's only get's 2.5 star's (50%). That's pretty horrifc if you ask me. The funny thing is the people who gave high reviews probably either work for Norton's or know nothing about computer's or security for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• Crism
    replied
    I have found that Windows usually works fine. It's usually human error that messes it up. Just install your service updates and patches (not that hard...especially since you can leave it on autoupdate). Get a good antivirus, I use Norton Antivirus 2005 and it works like a charm.

You basically have to know what to install and what not to install. I myself know what I'm doing and I have one of the cleanest running computers I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    I don't see what the big deal about Gates being rich is. He made something useful, he was sucessful, and he made a shitload of money off of it.

Leave a comment:

• chrisburns
    replied
    Windows system is much easier, and more productive then mac, the only reason mac doesnt have as many viruses is because 95% of the world is on Windows, if mac was the largest, it would be the same way.

Leave a comment:

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Well I don't know how what exactly did he write the book. I only saw a brief review of the book in this month's HUB magazine, and I thought it sounds funny

Leave a comment:

• Genessee
    replied
    I can see the tables in the local Chapters store full of linux nerds reading this while sipping their Starbucks "fair trade" coffee.

After searching around google, this guy seems like another Micheal Moore. At worst, he sounds like an Apple fanboy. From a couple reviews and interviews he seems to have a vendetta gainst one company and ignores the roles of others in various "partnerships". Apparently, MS suckered them all in. "OMG! OMG! MICROSFOT IS TEH MENACESHSJEHS)*(@$)*&@!!!" The nice part about this author is that he at least calls all computer users out. Mac and Linux users are also idiots too according to him, "SO BUY MY BOOK!". He makes some good points regarding response to various security breaches. MS has been stupidly slow in that department. Luckily theres alot of third party products (many of which are free) that help pick up the slack there. He does admit Windows is the best computer platform for gaming.

A better book would have been "Just say Yes to Apple" and throw in a chapter about MS. This book is just bashing. The he could have avoided the argument that with MS products you're "locked" into all these proprietary formats. WHICH is only BAD when MS makes you do it, but it's cool when Apple does it ... ??!

My first computer had DOS5, and I've used Windows since v3.1 and had no problems other than the ones I've given myself, *so, IS command.com REALLY needed?*, I couldn't complain at all. The only OS I've really been troubled by (out of a long list) was Solaris2.5, pulled out much hair over that

There's no bad OS if you take responsibility for your computer....Except Solaris2.5 :P

Leave a comment:

• Mungous
    replied
    Originally posted by screaming_emu
    either I'm too lazy, or I'm not a big enough hippy to want to do that. Windows works well (most of the time) that is why it is so popular. I used to take issue with how rich bill gates is, but then I found out how much of it he gives to charity and now I have a whole bunch of respect for him.
    That's true, but also if you think about it quite a bit of the charity work will get something in return, as well as good publicity. For example when a person saves the money donated to them they can eventually buy Windows!

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    It works for me...I don't have any major complains. I did with older versions of windows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X