Laptop Fan Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Fan Control

I'm having a slight problem with my laptop fan...it doesn't seem to ever run, and my laptop overheats like crazy. I can hardly touch the underside of my laptop for a few seconds because it gets so hot.

I was wondering if there was a way to access the fan settings and see what's going on. Somebody else said I need to do it through BIOS, but I have no idea how to get into BIOS.

For reference, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 600M. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Tanuj.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

The BIOS can be accessed by pressing the Del Key or F1 on start up. My Laptop is Del, my regular box is F1. And I think I've heard Esc in the past too. Also, unless you're sure about what you're doing, don't mess with the BIOS, as you can really fvck up your computer.

Also, try this: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Comment

Dell laptops are F2 to get into the bios, press it right away after you turn on the power, before the windows logo. But if the fan never comes on at all, it is more likely that the fan itself needs to be replaced. Does the laptop itself ever shut down because it is too hot? Laptops do generate quite a bit of heat, and it is possible that the hot spot you feel is just where the heatsink is. Also, the 600m may only be a couple of years old and often Dell gives a nice 3 year warranty. If you are still covered, you should take it to them first.

Comment

maybe your fan isnt plugged in to the mobo? anyhow your dell bios probally wont help. make sure air can cirulate under the laptop and if not buy one of these

Comment

Originally posted by c0ex
          maybe your fan isnt plugged in to the mobo? anyhow your dell bios probally wont help. make sure air can cirulate under the laptop and if not buy one of these

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ode%20matchall
          What I do is just take 4 paper cups, and rest the laptop on them to allow more air to circulate underneath if it is needed. The only time more air circulation is needed is what playing graphics intensive games like FS, Call of Duty 2, etc. Which I only do at home, since it needs to be plugged in, because if it wasn't, the battery would die in no time. Otherwise, it should be fine. If your laptop is overheating from just idling, or doing stuff like word processing, thats a bigger problem.

Comment

I checked BIOS, and as c0ex said, it was completely useless for this matter.

However, my fan did run...instead of lifting up my computer and blowing on the underside or holding it in front of the fan as I normally do when I think it is too hot, I let it heat up without doing anything, and after a while when the laptop was quite hot, it finally decided to run. I just wish there was some way I could control how often it runs.

Paul, my laptop doesn't overheat from idling, rather it overheats very quickly from doing simple stuff like surfing the internet.

I've looked into laptop coolers, but they're a little expensive. I checked at Staples and they were all in the range of $40 or so. I think I'm going to hold off buying one of those until absolutely necessary.
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Shouldn't overheat from surfing the internet either. Did you try the speedfan program?

Comment

Working...
              X