100 Years Ago Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Years Ago Today...

SAN FRANCISCO - Sirens wailed through the city at 5:12 a.m. Tuesday as residents marked the moment 100 years earlier when the Great Quake struck, shattering the city and touching off fires that burned for days.

A handful of centenarians who survived that devastation were joined by thousands of residents for a moment of silence and a memorial ceremony to remember one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. history.

Most of the city’s 400,000 residents were still in bed when the magnitude-7.8 earthquake struck at 5:12 a.m. on April 18, 1906.

The foreshock sent people scrambling, and the main shock arrived with such fury that it flattened crowded rooming houses. The epicenter was a few miles offshore of the city, but it was felt as far away as Oregon and Nevada. In 28 seconds, it brought down the City Hall.

From cracked chimneys, broken gas lines and toppled chemical tanks, fires broke out and swept across the city, burning for days. Ruptured water pipes left firefighters helpless, while families carrying what they could fled to parks that had become makeshift morgues.

Historians generally agree on one point: that San Francisco will fall again in a future quake. But they disagree over whether people should love the city or leave it.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

I walked by the TV today and CNN was talking about the possibility of one this large striking my area. Oh what fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
      I walked by the TV today and CNN was talking about the possibility of one this large striking my area. Oh what fun!!!
      What area of the country do you live in?

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
        What area of the country do you live in?
        He lives in the Kentucky, whihc is about 45minutes (nearest kentucky city-5 hrs(lousiville where jordan is from I think) away from me and I think CNN was talking about the New Madrid Fault whihc is 2 hrs south of my city, lovely

Alex
        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL
          He lives in the Kentucky, whihc is about 45minutes (nearest kentucky city-5 hrs(lousiville where jordan is from I think) away from me and I think CNN was talking about the New Madrid Fault whihc is 2 hrs south of my city, lovely

Alex
          I thought it might be New Madrid since his location said "Hicksville"

Comment

What is scary is I live within a mile of a pretty active fault line Are buildings down south built to specific earthquake building codes?
            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

I thought it might be New Madrid since his location said "Hicksville"
              Ya us hicksville people have to suffer new madrid
              Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
                What is scary is I live within a mile of a pretty active fault line Are buildings down south built to specific earthquake building codes?
                In California they are, I don't know about Missouri and Kentucky

Comment

In California they are, I don't know about Missouri and Kentucky
                  I see, we decided it would be a good idea to start a building code after the big earthquake in Anchorage
                  You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

There was actually an earthquake in the Louisville (Hicksville) area about 5 years ago. I remember being in my basement and feeling one quick jolt.

Comment

There is a fault line less then a mile from my house, yet my area has yet to have been damaged in big earthquakes, it all depends on where along the fault line the earthquake happens.

Anyway, the front page of the paper here was a copy of the newspaper released on the day of the earthquake, with all the origional articles. It was a pretty cool thing to see.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Re:

The other day I was watching Discovery, there was an hour-long program in which they talked about the possibility of a magnitude 9.0 mega-thrust quake (the kind that happened in Indonesia) in the Pacific Northwest. There's a faultline which runs the coastline and if that ruptures, it could take out Seattle/Tacoma, Portland and everything in between. And a massive tsunami would pretty much inundate the coastline and several miles inland.

Foxtrot

Comment

If it wasn't an earthquake, it would be something else. Tornado's or other type of storms. However, I do remember 5:04pm, Oct. 17, 1989. How many of you here in Bay Area remember that?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg J.
                            If it wasn't an earthquake, it would be something else. Tornado's or other type of storms. However, I do remember 5:04pm, Oct. 17, 1989. How many of you here in Bay Area remember that?
                            I remember seeing it unfold in my living room in Houston, because it interrupted World Series coverage.

Comment

Working...
                            X