• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bbuse
    replied
    Originally posted by YVR737
    This will not be another Montreal
    I was very happy to hear Vancouver was awarded the 2010 Winter Olympics and I hope it is as successful as the 1988 Winter Olympics were for Calgary.

Leave a comment:

• YVR737
    replied
    first off the next three olympics are in Athens Greece, Turin Italy(which is just across the alps from Salzburg) and Beijing China. There is a strong push for the 2012 summer games to go to Paris or London so it was North America's turn. Sure they road to Whistler isnt the greatest but they have already started to widen it a fix the bad spots (the road is actually decent except for a few spots) Plus they might have a ferry up to Squamish to relieve on some of the pressure on the road. They had the best bid and deserved the games. This will not be another Montreal

Leave a comment:

• Myblock
    replied
    I'm a little 2 sided on the olympics coming to Vancouver. All Canadians know what a royal screw up the 1976 Montreal olympics were. In the end was a massive debt and a poorly built massive stadium that is now almost to the point of being unsafe. On the other hand Calgary was a success so things could turn out good. I also feel we are a little tiny bit undeserving of them though because only 27 years ago we had the Summer Olympics in Montreal, and we had the Winter Olympics in Calgary only 15 years ago. Not to mention the United States had them in 1996 in Atlanta, and 2002 in Salt Lake City. So there are another couple more North American games in recent years, kinda makes you think another region deserves them now. Also the road that goes from North Vancouver to Whistler(the only road between the 2 communities) is very small and tight and MUST be massively upgraded to transport the countless thousands of fans between Vancouver and Whistler. We'll have to see how this turns out, it's still 7 years away though so we got some time.

Leave a comment:

• YVR737
    replied
    well u will if u watch the TV

Leave a comment:

• Ansett
    replied
    i would ove to see it in Vancouver!

Leave a comment:

• SWA733Captain
    replied
    Darcy...Buffalo

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    CONGRATULATIONS VANCOUVER/WHISTLER!!! I was kind of surprised to see Salzburg get eliminated from the voting first, I thought it would come down to Vancouver or Salzburg, but I'm really happy to see Vancouver/Whistler get the 2010 Winter Olympics. I think this could really help the economies of B.C. and Canada, and tourism should really increase over that time. Having travelled to Vancouver and Whistler, I can say that is a really great place to hold the Olympics and wish the cities the best of luck in getting things prepared for a great Winter Olympics in 2010.

As a Torontonian, I am also glad to see Toronto hold off on the 2012 bid, I'd love to see Toronto bid for the 2020 games.

Darcy

Leave a comment:

• YVR737
    replied
    Originally posted by AC_A340-500
    Hope they'll actally have snow there. Most of the outdoor events will probably take place at Whistlers though, right?

Also hope that it doesn't turn into a financial black hole for the already broke city and province.

Other than that, way to go Van!
    all the ski events and bobsled luge are at whistler. One excpetion is that either grouse or seymour mountain will have the snowboard cant remember which

Leave a comment:

• The Flying Dutchman
    replied
    Congratulations to Vancouver!

This now means the 2012 summer games will most likely not land in North America. It will definately be Europe's turn.

Toronto offically announced they will not bid for the 2012 games. They will wait for the 2016 or 2020 games.

Leave a comment:

• AC_A340-500
    replied
    Hope they'll actally have snow there. Most of the outdoor events will probably take place at Whistlers though, right?

Also hope that it doesn't turn into a financial black hole for the already broke city and province.

Other than that, way to go Van!

Leave a comment:

• YVR737
    replied
    wow didnt expect South Korea to be so close. good to see we got it but i wonder what the costs associated are. Either way ill be at the 2010 gold medal hockey game baby!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jiml1126
    replied
    The IOC has awarded Vancouver to host the 21st Winter Olympics in 2010.

First round vote:
    Pyongchang: 51
    Vancouver: 40
    Salzburg: 16

Second round:
    Vancouver: 56
    Pyongchang: 53

Leave a comment:

• The Flying Dutchman
    replied
    This is going to be an interesting outcome. I believe it will be between Vancouver and Pyongchang.

Leave a comment:

• jiml1126
    started a topic 2010 Olympic Announcement soon.....

2010 Olympic Announcement soon.....

Vancouver, Salzburg and Pyongchang in South Korea are the 3 candidate cities.

The IOC will announce who will be hosting the winter olympic games in 2010 on Wednesday night in Prague.
Working...
X