Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could ebay sellers have multiple accounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could ebay sellers have multiple accounts?

I was following the sale of an SLR camera on ebay one person started the bidding at 10 Euros it didnt go any higher for the whole day, this other guy created an account on the second day of the camera being there and started bidding without anyone else bidding againt him and kept increasing the amount.

To me it seemed as if the seller created this second account to increase the bidding otherwise the camera with rather nice accessories(extra lens, 7 rolls of film, new battery, carry case and strap) wouldnt have gone for more than $20-30 at the most since no one seemed really interested in it, despite his efforts the original bidder(10 Euro guy) finally won the deal and got the camera for around $50 as the bidding didnt go any higher, a third person bid just once in the three day period the camera was up on the site.

Could be. If Ebay catches it I would hope they would suspend both accounts. Plus its kinda wrong

Comment

As long as you have multiple email-accounts, you can have multiple email accounts, e.g. for your parents . Though I gotta say, with the way Ebay is being flooded, one could have 10 accounts to push a price, and still not get what he wants.

Comment

OK the camera sold for 175 Euros as bidding went up, not bad considering it was quite used, and it went to a brand new member too who only bid for it twice interestingly at the same last bid price that was placed by the other user who kept increasing the bid unchallanged.

Comment

Ebay keeps track of computer IP addresses (i think that is what they are called) and if an auction is being bid on from the same computer as another ID is using to start an auction, it sends up red flags and auctions are cancelled and users could be banned.
          Wayne Dippold

Comment

Having and bidding with multiple accts (or having a friend place bids for the sole purpose of increasing your profit) is called "shill bidding" and will get you banned. However what you described may have been perfectly legit, you must look at the time of the bids. For Example:

I am selling an object lets say I start the bids at $10, someone really wants it and bids as much as he is willing to pay... say $100. Then you come along and want to bid as well. The auction will currently show one bid $10 you must bid at least $11 so you try $11 the current bid price goes up but you are not winning so you try $20 still no good you try $25 then $30.. 50 ..60 and so on until either you get the high bid or you give up. In either case all your bids will show in the history after the auction and in the event of a tie the first bid placed gets it.

Comment

How do you explain the "suspected" fake account bidding the same top price of 175 Euros/$222 and not getting the camera and it being sold to this totally new member for the EXACT SAME PRICE i.e 175 Euros/$222 not a cent more.

I though you cant bid the exact same price as another bidder who has already bid that amount, say if you bid $50 should I also bid the same $50 amount and get the deal? why shouldnt you? since you bid the same amount before me.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN
                How do you explain the "suspected" fake account bidding the same top price of 175 Euros/$222 and not getting the camera and it being sold to this totally new member for the EXACT SAME PRICE i.e 175 Euros/$222 not a cent more.
                Which one placed the bid first? He will be the winner you cannot bid second and win unless your bid is higher, regardless of whether it is fake or genuine.

Originally posted by LUNN
                I though you cant bid the exact same price as another bidder who has already bid that amount, say if you bid $50 should I also bid the same $50 amount and get the deal? why shouldnt you? since you bid the same amount before me.
                You can bid any amount you want and it may happen to be exactly the same as another bid. You do not know the value of the highest bid until you place your own higher bid. But, the auction will ALWAYS go to the first bid in the case of a tie.

Comment

Working...
                X