Nagin wins New Orleans re-election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagin wins New Orleans re-election

I'm not sure I know what to think about this....

I would have voted for Nagin back in in 2002 if I could have (I don't live in New Orleans proper, so I was not eligible) and I supported him and his policies all the way up until the storm.

Louisiana is known for voting and revoting for the same whackjob politicos despite screwup-after-screwup. Add nepotism to the mix, and you get generations of the same concept perpetuating itself over and over again.

Nagin came in as someone who functioned successfully in the private world, not as a career politician. That was a breath of fresh air that many thought the city needed... and indeed, we've had fewer political/social scandals under his administration than any other in the city's history.

Also, Mitch Landrieu derives from one of the most prominent of Louisiana's political dynasties-- his father was the last non-Black mayor of New Orleans, and his sister is the current US senator Mary Landrieu (D).

History aside, though... this city needs a strong leader.

Nagin had some pretty decent policies in the past-- but the bottom line is that he cracked at the time his leadership was needed most.

I'd say NOLA needed a new face, a new vision; to usher it into becoming a true World City, as it long since should have become. Nagin is gonna have some real stepping up to do to get things stabilized and growing (net) around here.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

That guy seems like a total nutjob in my opinion.

Comment

Where he lost my respect

Comment

*...agrees wholeheartedly with Andrew*

Check it out!

Comment

This guy made race such a huge issue in the aftermath of Katrina that I wouldn't vote for him unless someone even nuttier than him was running. "Chocolate' NOLA? I'm a minority and that shit makes me angry as hell. I'm surprised something like 20% of whites actually voted for him after he pretty much encouraged ostracizing the white community from the city.

I won't pass around blame for the government's response to Katrina, but I do feel as his city, Nagin takes the lions share of the problem. I'm not much of a political genius, but can't mayors call the Feds and ask for extra help? I know hindsight is 20/20, but hurricanes have hit the US before and we didn't go through this mess. Remember Andrew?

A sad, sad choice!

On a side note, Atlanta's black political machine also needs to go...they always incite race issues, get the vote, then totally screw up the city. I'm still driving on metal coverings, Ms. Franklin. Hop to it!

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
            On a side note, Atlanta's black political machine also needs to go...they always incite race issues, get the vote, then totally screw up the city.
            Sad thing is my friend, none of that will go anywhere until our generation is in office.

I, and I'm going out on a limb to guess you too, never suffered under Jim Crowe. It's easy for you and I to let go of such... but as so many current Black (and typically Democrat) political leaders can and will never let go. That's why they view and govern any given sociopolitical situations like it's still 1963.

When they're gone, or at least no longer at the foothold of power, things will change.

Check it out!

Comment

And racism will continue to prevail...
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

...of course it will continue to exist; as will evil, war, poverty, and hunger.

My point, is that once the babyboomers (and anyone born pre-70s) are out of power; race/racism (both actual & perceived) will likely cease to be the central and defining issue of every godd@mn thing our so-called "black leaders" turn their attention toward.

Check it out!

Comment

As you pointed out, some older people still remember busing and LBJ passing the Civil Rights Act. Some people remember the 70s and they don't look back with rosy glasses. DeKalb County, metro Atlanta county, stopped busing in the mid 1990s. Hell, I remember buses crossing the county to even out the schools and I was born in 1988!

But is our generation much better? That's a question that only time will tell. There are plenty of '14-18' age people on stormfront and I'm sure thats just a fraction of the true racists. And still, the lingering association between blacks, poverty, and crime will take its toll. Let's stop BSing ourselves here: if you go to South Atlanta, you'll find poor, predominantly black neighborhoods with a guy on every corner and a bullethole in every stop sign. At my school, the black kids sit in one table, the Asians in another, and Whites in another. Sure, there are some mixups; but there can be no denying of the general trend.

So while you and I may have no difficulty electing a Gay Jewish Black Female (I'd pay to see this) as President, there are millions of children who would vote for Lucifer before a Jew or Black.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    electing a Gay Jewish Black Female (I'd pay to see this) as President
                    ...you forgot poor, and in-a-wheelchair.

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                      ...you forgot poor, and in-a-wheelchair.
                      and "retarded"

And BTW... we've already had a President in a wheelchair. Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

What, was the final vote 5 For Nagin and 3 for the other guy? Other than catching a brief clip of "katrina aftermath" on the national news, we really dont hear about how NO is doing.... I have been pretty much ignorant of what has been going on....The Masses of people have moved back?

Comment

Working...
                        X