BREAKING: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi killed

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the most wanted insurgent in Iraq, is dead, according to an aide to Iraq's prime minister.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki was expected to make a public announcement of the death, the details of which are unclear.

Two Pentagon officials told CNN that the government is awaiting al-Maliki's announcement in Baghdad before commenting on the report officially.

One official says the Pentagon is not sure of how the death was confirmed and that there might need to be "additional forensics" done before they can be fully confident the terrorist leader is dead.

Officials could provide no further details at this time.

Terror mastermind al-Zarqawi had eluded U.S. and Iraqi authorities for years, often taunting them with recorded messages and videotapes, including one in which he is believed to behead an American hostage.

He and his followers had taken responsibility for or been accused of perpetrating or aiding suicide bombings, car bombings, beheadings and other acts of brutality.

Soon after Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled, the 39-year-old al-Zarqawi quickly became the face of the insurgency.

Militant Islamic Web sites instantaneously posted his messages, bringing terrorism to cyberspace and reinforcing his support among Islamists.

In one videotaped posting, al-Zarqawi was suspected of being the masked man who beheads U.S. hostage Nicholas Berg, as he lets out piercing screams.

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage for some of the detainees in Abu Ghraib (prison), and they refused," the voice said. "Coffins will be arriving to you one after the other, slaughtered just like this."

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was alive when U.S. troops reached the mortally wounded terrorist leader after a U.S. bombing raid, a U.S. general told Fox News on Friday.

Strike !
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Sure the queen bee has been dispatched from it's hive, but that anger's all the other bee's to no end. And so begins the cycle of a new leader and more death and destruction. Violence breeds violence.

Comment

He has been declared all too often. I'll believe it when I see his dead and bloody body on TV.

Comment

Here ya go DAL-

Awesome news!!!!!!!!
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

as Carl Bratananalewski (from Aqua Teen) would say "sweet nectar"

Agree with Messy's take on it, not going to change a thing.

Comment

Firstly, I hope he rests in peace where ever his final destination may be. As a human being, he deserves that.

Secondly, we finally caught the real "second highest al-Queda operative"! But killing this man will not ebb or ease the threat of terrorism. This is neither good nor bad news to me and it is quite foolish to pop corks over his death. How many people are going to pick up an AK-47 to fight in Zarqawi's name now?

Messer. Man, you got it right.

Comment

The world is better off today with Zarqawi having assumed room temperature.

Comment

[QUOTE=ATLcenter]Firstly, I hope he rests in peace where ever his final destination may be. As a human being, he deserves that.
                  QUOTE]

This was not a human being, but an animal, just another of a long line of psycho turds that have infested earth since time began. I am sure there is a special place in h*ll for him, alot hotter than room temp, to wish him RIP is beyond my simple comprehension.

Comment

Great, now wait for the spinoff from this death. We should of captured him, not kill him like he did to many troops and civilians. I hate it when people get it the easy way out.

Comment

[QUOTE=a78jumper]
                      Originally posted by ATLcenter
                      Firstly, I hope he rests in peace where ever his final destination may be. As a human being, he deserves that.
                      QUOTE]

This was not a human being, but an animal, just another of a long line of psycho turds that have infested earth since time began. I am sure there is a special place in h*ll for him, to wish him RIP is beyond my simple comprehension.
                      Ah, so to some kids in the Middle East, there are 300m psycho turds infesting the land south of Canada and north of Mexico. Zarqawi was not the best man that has ever walked this planet, but as a fellow human, I wish him all the best in the afterlife. He may rot in hell, which he most certainly deserves, but I still hope he learns to enjoy it.

Comment

1 Down, only 434,345,799,245,345 to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                          1 Down, only 434,345,799,245,345 to go.
                          Are you talking about the number of illegal immigrants left to deport?

Anyways, it's good news to hear that he's gone, if it's really true...could just be a fake. We'll know for sure when they run forensic tests.
                          Bobby DeBarge
                          www.debargephoto.com
                          http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
                          1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

I doubt the US would "fake" this, there is enough ill news about them that they don't want to fake something like this.

As far as someone else stepping up in his place, one of the things Al Zawgawi had was lots of money to fund this terrorism. Not sure who else will step up, but hopefully the fact that someone snitched on him might make the next person think more about moving forward in his place

Comment

Thomas Friedman (sp?) said that getting Zarqawi could be more effective than even getting Bin Laden. He said that while there are plenty of terrorists in Iraq, there are only a few "world class terrorists." Zarqawi was one of these people, and Friedman said that he will be impossible to replace. Someone may rise to fill his position, but it is highly unlikely that they will be as effective as Zarqawi ever was. Which is great news for us!

He also said it was important that an Iraqi insurgent leader was one of the people that turned Zarqawi in. He said that it shows support for Al Qaeda in Iraq is diminishing. In addition, once people see that terror leaders like Zarqawi are far from invincible then they are much less likely to be caught up supporting them.

All in all a great day for US troops and for Iraq.
                              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X