English only at Philly cheesesteak joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foxtrot
    And what may I ask has any of this to do with Bush? We're talking about a guy who put a sign up in his own shop, at his own will, the President didn't tell him to do anything. And if you read what the sign says, you would understand that he's asking customers to speak in Enlgish when ordering, not otherwise. If I start speaking in Chinese when I'm ordering at most restaurants in a dominantly English-speaking country, I'm pretty sure I won't get served (unless the staff happens to be fluent in Chinese).
    So you're trying to tell me that there is not a single person in that Cheesesteak shop who has a basic understanding of Spanish? The shop is in the heart of Philadelphia, and has been around for a long time, therefore there would have been plenty of people who would have ordered in spanish and got their food. This cheesesteak guy is using the immigration debacle as a podium for free publicity - nothing else.

It would have been a different thing if the reason for him putting up the sign was that nobody spoke English, but when his sign clearly says "This is America: please speak English when ordering" it is very clear that he making an attempt at fake patriotism.

Btw, read above - I never said this cheesesteak thing directly has anything to do with Bush. I was merely commenting on Bush focusing on stuff (i.e. immigration, not cheesesteak) that is not as important right now.

Wow, I don't know where you heard/read this one. Bush actually has had just the exact opposite stance, he even said himself that you can't just send a million+ immigrants back, he's been more supportive of the immigrants than most other people. And this is by no means a trivial matter.

Foxtrot
    It is hugely trivial compared to other issues - Bush has just chosen to blow it up around this time, just like he chose to make a big deal of the gay marriage issue around the midterm elections.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Working...
    X