Is Detroit THAT bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Detroit THAT bad?

Okay, folks. I've heard the "My uncle's brother went to Detroit and came back with one testicle..." type stories, but I gotta ask: are things that bad there? I seem to remember it as a nice city with a lot of really fun things to do. But then again, I was six years old when I went there, so for all I know, I could be confusing Windsor, Canada and Detroit.

DTW was nice when I connected through!

Can't be too bad, after all, it produced the Bus

Comment

I've been to Detroit once and I only stopped to visit the Ford museum...not really a nice city to have a car engine failure. i prefer Windsor

Comment

I've been too Detroit a few times. (all in the same summer, which I spent in Ann Arbor) Its an alright city, nothing TOO special. Parts of the city are nice (like where Tiger Stadium is) but all in all, the worst part about the city (IMO) is the traffic. Every time I went, it felt like we were stuck in trafic for a good 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
          Every time I went, it felt like we were stuck in trafic for a good 2 hours.
          Though you could say that about most larger metropolises in the US .
          As for me, haven't been to Detroit, but I'd still wouldn't my car breaking down on 8-Mile road .

Comment

People I know who have been to Detroit say some parts are nice, but those parts are few and far between. One of my teachers got carjacked on vacation there on his way to a Tigers Baseball game, and he was only there for less than two days. I wouldn't have any reason to want to go to Detroit.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

People may think Detroit is bad, but living in the Twin Cities and hearing about the numerous murders and other violent crimes happeing daily in the Twin Cities I have to wonder if Detroit could be worse. A friends teenage daughter and her friend were robbed at gunpoint a week ago just a couple blocks away from where I live, which would be considered to be a "good" part of the cities. Needless to say, I don't feel safe and tend to be very careful when I am out in the cities.
              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by bbuse
                People may think Detroit is bad, but living in the Twin Cities and hearing about the numerous murders and other violent crimes happeing daily in the Twin Cities I have to wonder if Detroit could be worse. A friends teenage daughter and her friend were robbed at gunpoint a week ago just a couple blocks away from where I live, which would be considered to be a "good" part of the cities. Needless to say, I don't feel safe and tend to be very careful when I am out in the cities.
                Hmm...DTW and MSP. Maybe it's NW?

Comment

Originally posted by bbuse
                  When I was in the cities in June, I heard on the radio violent crimes had gone up 30% in Minneapolis since 2004, which is more than any other city in the midwest, including Chicago. I can belive it, I see drug deals all the time in the middle of the quiet suburbs in near-by Richfield. Although MSP doesn't seem have a bad reputation with most people, I find it to be just as dangerous as bad parts of Oakland. I see more crime in a week in Minneapolis than I see in an entire year when I'm constantly in or around San Francisco(which has some bad parts) and Oakland. Noticing this makes me think.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                    When I was in the cities in June, I heard on the radio violent crimes had gone up 30% in Minneapolis since 2004, which is more than any other city in the midwest, including Chicago. I can belive it, I see drug deals all the time in the middle of the quiet suburbs in near-by Richfield. Although MSP doesn't seem have a bad reputation with most people, I find it to be just as dangerous as bad parts of Oakland. I see more crime in a week in Minneapolis than I see in an entire year when I'm constantly in or around San Francisco(which has some bad parts) and Oakland. Noticing this makes me think.
                    MSP may not have a reputation around the US for being a city with a high crime rate, but when you live here and regularly hear news reports of violent crimes and have friends personally victimized by violent crimes you realize how bad the crime situation is here. The crime situation is probably one of the top problems in the MSP area right now. A couple of factors that contributes to the high crime rate is a police department that is understaffed and a court system that frequently releases hard core criminals that should not be out on the streets.

Comment

The reporters said it is mostly Asian gangs to blame for the sudden growth in violent crime, I find that surprising as I've only seen a handfull of asian people in the MSP area.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                        The reporters said it is mostly Asian gangs to blame for the sudden growth in violent crime, I find that surprising as I've only seen a handfull of asian people in the MSP area.
                        This the first time I have heard this, but I also have heard before that it is mostly gangs from Somalia that is to blame. Personally I don't think it is a particular ethnic group that is to blame as much as it is a failure of the police departments and judicial system to make sure the people responsible for these crimes are put into jail AND REMAIN in jail. The current crime situation is causing myself (and many others) to reconsider if the MSP area is where we want to call home.

Comment

That is a large part of the problem in Toronto right now a well. The fiberals have gotten hold of the justice system, and animals that belong in jail are walking free on the streets to wreck their particular brand of havoc. Mainly south asian, west indian and chinese gangs here.

As for Detroit, it always had a rough edge to it, at least in my lifetime. Parts of most major US cities are in similar circumstances.

Comment

Any major city is going to have all of this, I used to live in Columbus, Ohio, and you usually heard about 2-3 murders a night, its pathetic that there are some people out there like that, I'm sure New York is just as bad, Detroit always has rough spots, I would say a good 50% of Colorado Springs are rough areas that I wouldn't want to walk around even in the day, now Grand Forks, thats a different story.... I would walk around anywhere there at night.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                              I used to live in Columbus, Ohio, and you usually heard about 2-3 murders a night,
                              Which Columbus, Ohio did you live in?
                              My photos on jp.net

Comment

Working...
                              X