No announcement yet.

BREAKING NEWS: Beirut airport closes after Israeli air strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, it was an opinion. And you gotta give him some credit for being concise

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
      Anyone else getting tired of your pointless Bull S***?

Was there a point to that? Honestly, if you are going to try to make an argument, at least use facts and points to back it up!
      Sorry dude, but when it comes to this issue your arguments haven't really been that good either. I know you have a horse in this race (for lack of a better saying), but that doesn't mean you can be a douchebag to everyone that doesn't agree with you.

precisely why I think going into Lebanon was a crappy idea. Israel just gave all the terrorists another reason to bomb. Good job...way to watch after your people /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
        Sorry dude, but when it comes to this issue your arguments haven't really been that good either. I know you have a horse in this race (for lack of a better saying), but that doesn't mean you can be a douchebag to everyone that doesn't agree with you.

precisely why I think going into Lebanon was a crappy idea. Israel just gave all the terrorists another reason to bomb. Good job...way to watch after your people /sarcasm
        Israel will always be targetted for as long as it exists...this new conflict didn't bring anything new. Muslims (not all, but many) have always hated Israel and many want the Jewish state destroyed completely. They have hated Israel since 1947, this little piddly border war didn't change that. Those that choose to fight against the IDF probably would have wound up strapping bombs to their chests and blowing up shopping malls in Tel Aviv anyways. The only difference is that now the IDF has a chance to eliminate them in droves instead of watching them off themselves one-by-one on Israeli buses...
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
          Israel will always be targetted for as long as it exists...this new conflict didn't bring anything new. Muslims (not all, but many) have always hated Israel and many want the Jewish state destroyed completely. They have hated Israel since 1947, this little piddly border war didn't change that. Those that choose to fight against the IDF probably would have wound up strapping bombs to their chests and blowing up shopping malls in Tel Aviv anyways. The only difference is that now the IDF has a chance to eliminate them in droves instead of watching them off themselves one-by-one on Israeli buses...
          I'm not saying that Al Qaeda didn't want to have a holy war before. But Israel just gave them a brand new recruiting tool.

What israel did was like getting mauled by a bear, and then going into the woods after it. You're never gonna find all the bears, all you're going to do is piss them off, make them afraid of people so that when they do see one, they want to eat you.

Comment

I'm not saying that Al Qaeda didn't want to have a holy war before. But Israel just gave them a brand new recruiting tool.

What israel did was like getting mauled by a bear, and then going into the woods after it. You're never gonna find all the bears, all you're going to do is piss them off, make them afraid of people so that when they do see one, they want to eat you.
            Except in this case Israel gets mauled week after week, hundreds of times, for years. Sooner or later people reach their breaking point, and it is appearant now that Israel isn't going to take this without a fight anymore.
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Except in this case Israel gets mauled week after week, hundreds of times, for years. Sooner or later people reach their breaking point, and it is appearant now that Israel isn't going to take this without a fight anymore.
              so I guess instead of week after week they want to make it day after day...

Comment

Ya, the way I see it, its a horrible situation either way, but this way its even worse.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I guess that is a risk that they have to take. No one ever won a war by lying down and taking it in the rear...

Comment

I guess that is a risk that they have to take. No one ever won a war by lying down and taking it in the rear...
                    Nor has anyone ever won a war that is litterally impossible to win? Do you really think that attacking Hezbola is going to make them go "whoa, I just learned something...you guys really aren't that bad!" Or that they're really going to be able to kill every person that wishes harm on them? Its simply not going to happen. Just like our dumbass "war on terror".

Comment

• Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      Nor has anyone ever won a war that is litterally impossible to win? Do you really think that attacking Hezbola is going to make them go "whoa, I just learned something...you guys really aren't that bad!" Or that they're really going to be able to kill every person that wishes harm on them? Its simply not going to happen. Just like our dumbass "war on terror".
                      Nope, I don't expect them to like us no matter what we do. I do expect us to make it as hard as possible for them to attack us, however. We (and Israel) are doing this by killing the terrorists (loads and loads of them), shutting down "charities" that only provide money to terrorist groups, eliminating other sources of terrorist funding, busting terrorist cells at home and abroad, and forcing the terrorists to be constantly on the run. We did nothing for ten years in the 1990s and the attacks just got worse. Doing nothing led to 9/11, and we aren't going to make that mistake again. The war is meant to keep the terrorist off our back long enough to allow us to pursue solutions to the underlying problems that create terrorists. People in Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Lybia, etc...they have no jobs, no money, their nation's economy is in the sh*tters, and naturally they are pissed off. They see dictators spring up that deny them their basic rights, and they are brainwashed into believing that the US and Israel are the cause of their miserable lives. In actuality the whole system in their respective countries is stacked against them, so they turn to the only thing they have left-Islam. A small percentage are brainwashed into becoming terrorists. Only by creating prosperous, safe, democratic nations in the Middle East can we reduce the motivation that drives people towards fanaticism. Iraq will be long and hard, but eventually we will succeed in creating a thriving democracy there. Once that is accomplished and Arabs in other nations see the benefit of a thriving nation in Iraq, a type of "domino" theory may occur driving other Arab countries towards modernization and therefore eliminating the need for extremism.

The terrorists know that our goal is to create a better Middle East, one free from fanatical Islam. The only thing they hate more than Israel or the United States is the prospect of peace. Peace eliminates their support, and prosperous, strong nations would be quick to dismantle the terrorist groups that are thorns in their sides.

Terrorism will never be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced. And we have been successful at reducing it thus far. Who cares if Amshee or Abdul hate the US even more for supporting Israel in this war? If they don't have the means to attack us, and if the IDF or the US military can dispose of them in Tyre rather than Tel Aviv or Boston, then we are being successful. This is our strategy, and clearly it is working. Al Qaeda is on the run, and they haven't hit us in 5 years despite numerous threats. Doing nothing brought further terror, but by doing something we have made our country safer.

Comment

• That's funny, it seems that more terrorists have come out of the woodwoork since we went into Iraq....

Comment

• Terrorism will never be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced. And we have been successful at reducing it thus far. Who cares if Amshee or Abdul hate the US even more for supporting Israel in this war? If they don't have the means to attack us, and if the IDF or the US military can dispose of them in Tyre rather than Tel Aviv or Boston, then we are being successful. This is our strategy, and clearly it is working. Al Qaeda is on the run, and they haven't hit us in 5 years despite numerous threats. Doing nothing brought further terror, but by doing something we have made our country safer.
                          What rubbish. Reminds me of somebody else who talks just like that...George Bush.

Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean anything is working. Al-Qaeda hadn't hit us for 8 years, and then they utterly slammed us in 2001. I'm sure during those 8 years people were saying stuff like "oh since they aren't doing anything we must have them beat". Absolutely not. We still have a long way to go before we can even remotely seriously injure Al-Qaeda's terrorist network.

You're being brainwashed by everything this idiot of a president keeps saying. Al-Qaeda's network is large, deeply rooted and very very rich. All we're doing is killing a handful of dumb Iraqis who are bored/pissed and have nothing better to do than fight, and the real terrorists are happily sitting back laughing at us while they most probably are building up some sort of massive attack.

This whole "war" has done NOTHING to make America safer. Not one thing, and I completely blame Bush for it. He ditched pursuit of Bin Laden to fulfill a personal vendetta against Saddam Hussein, in the process lying through his teeth and doing zilch to either bring the terrorists responsible for 9/11 to justice or make America safer.

I'll be happy when he gets kicked out in 2008...Republican, Democrat, anybody is better than him.
                          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

• Just because nothing has happened yet doesn't mean anything is working. Al-Qaeda hadn't hit us for 8 years, and then they utterly slammed us in 2001. I'm sure during those 8 years people were saying stuff like "oh since they aren't doing anything we must have them beat". Absolutely not. We still have a long way to go before we can even remotely seriously injure Al-Qaeda's terrorist network.
                            Not true. Al Qaeda hit us in 1993 (WTC bombing & Somalia). Years before 9/11 they also bombed the two US embassies in Africa (killing hundreds of people), and the USS Cole, killing 17 sailors. All three of those were US targets, and they all occured because no action was taken after the preceding terrorist attack.

You're being brainwashed by everything this idiot of a president keeps saying. Al-Qaeda's network is large, deeply rooted and very very rich. All we're doing is killing a handful of dumb Iraqis who are bored/pissed and have nothing better to do than fight, and the real terrorists are happily sitting back laughing at us while they most probably are building up some sort of massive attack.
                            Believe me, if they could have hit us by now they would have. 1/3 of Al Qaeda's leadership is dead or captured, the remaining are on the run, and we have disrupted many major terrorist attacks since 9/11. We are the ones winning here...

This whole "war" has done NOTHING to make America safer. Not one thing, and I completely blame Bush for it. He ditched pursuit of Bin Laden to fulfill a personal vendetta against Saddam Hussein, in the process lying through his teeth and doing zilch to either bring the terrorists responsible for 9/11 to justice or make America safer.
                            Gee...I mean if stopping terrorist attacks on America doesn't make the nation safer I don't know what does...We saw the Clinton approach (do nothing), and what did that get us? A couple of embassies lost, a warship nearly sunk, and, oh yeah, 3,000 people killed on our own soil in one day! I'll take Bush any day over that...

Comment

• Originally posted by herpa2003
                              Not true. Al Qaeda hit us in 1993 (WTC bombing & Somalia). Years before 9/11 they also bombed the two US embassies in Africa (killing hundreds of people), and the USS Cole, killing 17 sailors. All three of those were US targets, and they all occured because no action was taken after the preceding terrorist attack.
                              Those are great examples, but all those are not in the United States of America. Blowing up a docked ship in Aden or an embassy in the poorest continent is a lot different than making a parking lot in ZIP code 10001. And several nations (Spain, UK, Indonesia) have been hit hard even after our "war" on terror.

Believe me, if they could have hit us by now they would have. 1/3 of Al Qaeda's leadership is dead or captured, the remaining are on the run, and we have disrupted many major terrorist attacks since 9/11. We are the ones winning here...
                              See above, we don't know what they are doing. Children are born, teenagers see what's going on and join the cause. So what if 1/3 of al-Qaeda's leadership is dead or captured? Don't you think there are thousands waiting to take their jobs and do the same thing because of the way we have responded?

Gee...I mean if stopping terrorist attacks on America doesn't make the nation safer I don't know what does...We saw the Clinton approach (do nothing), and what did that get us? A couple of embassies lost, a warship nearly sunk, and, oh yeah, 3,000 people killed on our own soil in one day! I'll take Bush any day over that...
                              Seeing if this has 'stopped' terrorist attacks on the US will take a long time, Herpa. This isn't something to parade five years after the fact. If by 2015 or so we haven't had a repeat of 1993 or 2001, then I will humbly agree that our measures were correct. But as of now, I don't see how giving people a reason to hate us will help us all.

Bush's leadership just spreads out the killing- I forget what the death toll in Iraq/Afghanistan is, but I don't see the numbers going down. Sometimes, war is perfectly necessary to end a global problem. But battling a group of stateless people is ridiculous. Come to think of it, we're not even fighting people. We're fighting an idea, which makes our case look more preposterous.

Something Sean Hannity (and I'm very sorry for brining in that loon into this) always talks about is how countries like Syria and Iran want to destroy Israel, how inhumane it is to want to see the destruction of a country and a people. Two minutes later, he talks about how America should go in, destroy Syria and Iran, and win some war. And I'm scratching my head wondering how he doesn't realise he's just doing what he hates so much.

Comment

• Those are great examples, but all those are not in the United States of America. Blowing up a docked ship in Aden or an embassy in the poorest continent is a lot different than making a parking lot in ZIP code 10001. And several nations (Spain, UK, Indonesia) have been hit hard even after our "war" on terror.
                                How many US Embassies abroad have been bombed since 2001? How many warships have been attacked? When was the last time there was a terrorist attack directed against a US target (besides in Iraq or Afghanistan)? Our duty isn't to protect Spain or England...it is to protect America, and we are succeeding at that.

See above, we don't know what they are doing. Children are born, teenagers see what's going on and join the cause. So what if 1/3 of al-Qaeda's leadership is dead or captured? Don't you think there are thousands waiting to take their jobs and do the same thing because of the way we have responded?

True, but if these thousands of new recruits don't have weapons, nor the means to purchase weapons, or the training to carry out attacks, or the money to be able to come to America, or the security of having a cell that isn't penetrated by the FBI or CIA, then they are not too much of a threat to the American people. The reason they are all heading to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight is because they can't anywhere else. In Iraq they can cross the border easily, pick up an AK-47, and become a 'Martyr'. It takes a great deal more sophistication to mount an attack inside the US, and the reason that we haven't seen any attacks is because terrorist groups are struggling to acquire the money and supplies neccessary while avoiding US bombs or CIA covert action at the same time. We have made it ten times harder for them...

Seeing if this has 'stopped' terrorist attacks on the US will take a long time, Herpa. This isn't something to parade five years after the fact. If by 2015 or so we haven't had a repeat of 1993 or 2001, then I will humbly agree that our measures were correct. But as of now, I don't see how giving people a reason to hate us will help us all.
                                See above...

Bush's leadership just spreads out the killing- I forget what the death toll in Iraq/Afghanistan is, but I don't see the numbers going down. Sometimes, war is perfectly necessary to end a global problem. But battling a group of stateless people is ridiculous. Come to think of it, we're not even fighting people. We're fighting an idea, which makes our case look more preposterous.
                                You may think it preposterous, but I think of it as a challenge that can be done. The killing is horrible, but eventually we will win if we stick to our guns. Look at Japan following World War II. We destroyed much of that country...they had soldiers that still kept fighting until 1970 (!!). But look at Japan now-one of the worlds most prosperous and powerful nations. If you had told someone in 1945 that Japan would be one of our key trading partners and would be one of our foremost allies in Asia, they would have laughed at you. But this is exactly what happened.

In the same way, with enough tenacity we can fix the Middle East; turn it into something that discourages rather than breeds terror. It may take a while, and it may cost lives, but in the long run it will be worth it.

Look at the UAE or Qatar...They are Arab nations that are successful, wealthy, modern. They are everything that Islamic terrorists hate. If we can turn every nation into a UAE or Qatar (which I believe we can within 10-50 years), imagine how great the world will be. These nations are progressive, they are prosperous, and they are NOT breeding grounds for terrorists.

Something Sean Hannity (and I'm very sorry for brining in that loon into this) always talks about is how countries like Syria and Iran want to destroy Israel, how inhumane it is to want to see the destruction of a country and a people. Two minutes later, he talks about how America should go in, destroy Syria and Iran, and win some war. And I'm scratching my head wondering how he doesn't realise he's just doing what he hates so much.
                                I agree to an extent. We need to confront Iran (with the UN), and if it comes to fighting, then so be it. But there is a difference between the desires or Iran and the desires of the United States. Iran wants every single Israeli man, woman, and child dead. They want the nation of Israel destroyed; 'driven to the sea' in their words. The United States just wants an Iran that isn't a fanatical theocracy that threatens to nuke its neighbors because of their religion. Iran needs a government change...otherwise, war may result. We don't want to destroy the nations of Iran and Syria; we just want to make their governments cooperative and to increase the security of the Middle East for the sake of our allies in the region.

Comment

Working...
                                X