Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do Mercedes make cars for police and taxi service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do Mercedes make cars for police and taxi service?

I have always wondered that considering Mercedes is a luxury brand and yet they sell their cars for Taxi and Police operations including the S class, I know its stripped to bare basics but still.

I dont see Cadillacs and Lincolns being driven by Police or as Cabs anywhere, private call cabs yes but not public cabs, interestingly Mercedes cars dont just serve the police and as public Taxi's in Germany but in a number of other countries too especially the middle east including non-oil rich countries.

Can't speak for the present but 20 years ago all the taxicabs in Nicosia were Mercedes diesels. I did not see too many in Dubai two years ago, most were Opels and euro Fords of various descriptions. And in 1981 Empress Cabs, one of the largest cab firms in Victoria, BC had a late model all Caddy deVille fleet. Not sure what they have now, aside from the fact that 33 of a fleet of 90 are Toyota Prius hybrids.

Comment

The reason Mercedes sells them, is because it means profit. Any car sold equals some more money. They would be stupid not to do so. Also, do not underestimate the publicity that comes from having the police buy your cars. It is one of the best endorsements you can get. It basically says that the car is safe, reliable, fast, spacious etc.

The reason taxi companies and the police buy them, is because Mercedesses tend to be very reliable and safe cars.

Also, Mercs are also used by ambulances, drivingschools and hurses.

Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Cabs in denmark is Mercedes, about 80 % . Others: Suzuki,BMW,Honda and more.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
          Cabs in denmark is Mercedes, about 80 % . Others: Suzuki,BMW,Honda and more.
          And Falck (Patient transportation) cars are mercedes too I should know...

Comment

One of the reasons is that Mercedes cars have long been the definition of reliability. If you wanted your car to last for ages, take abuse and be comfortable all at one time, you bought a Mercedes.

However, this has changed with the introduction of advanced electronics in cars. The E-class in particular started out rather badly.

Comment

In Warsaw some taxis are mercedes's

but some are Opels, renaults etc.

In Toronto Lincolns and Fords

Comment

Would you rather ride in a Merc or a Toyota? And I'd be less inclined to try and outrun cops in Mercs too

Comment

Because they are part of a big company which can offer discounts to companies buying 200 cars or so to make it cheaper than the opposition.
                  There are also reliable
                  Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki

In Toronto Lincolns and Fords

and some Toyota Camrys too.

Comment

aloges summed it up nicely. The "Mercedes advantage" faded once the production of 601, 602 and 603 diesel engines ceased. Electronics problems ever since the mid 1990's took care of the rest. Nonetheless, Mercedes still seem to make up most of the taxicabs here in Germany. Perhaps because the cab drivers would rather roll in a Benz than in a Passat.
                      Having said that, Audi, VW, Opel, Ford (of Europe), BMW and the imports have caught up in styling, technology (and price).

Comment

Working...
                      X