Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That nut-job in Iran bans foreign language.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That nut-job in Iran bans foreign language.

    Anyone want to grab a few "elastic loaves" so that we can have a "short talk" about this idiot? {Wait, what is Farsi for idiot? Oh, right - idiot = Ahmadinejad }

    TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media reported Saturday.

    The presidential decree, issued earlier this week, orders all governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the Irna official news agency reported.

    The academy has introduced more than 2,000 words as alternatives for some of the foreign words that have become commonly used in Iran, mostly from Western languages. The government is less sensitive about Arabic words, because the Quran is written in Arabic.

    Among other changes, a "chat" will become a "short talk" and a "cabin" will be renamed a "small room," according to official Web site of the academy.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/..._foreign_words
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

  • #2
    Sometimes I wish the CIA still did assasinations these days . Oh yeah, and Ahmadinejad also stands for "Retared wannabe-Hitler".

    Comment


    • #3
      WTFH?
      Christian Vlček Sullivan | Through The Fence Photography
      Forever New Frontiers

      Comment


      • #4
        Shouldnt be of concern to anyone who's not Iranian, besides French are doing the same with their language, besides the new terms will only be used in media or books etc. ordinary people will continue to use the normal foreign words in everyday conversation.

        Comment


        • #5
          yeah, who'd be so dumb to do that? Oh wait.. remember 'freedom fries'? Or all the recent talk about making english the official language of the USA?

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually, aside from the "nut job" which we all agree he is, similar action should be encouraged in more places around the world, in order to preserve minority cultures threatened by globalization.

            Comment


            • #7
              Big surprise...Ackalackakingamundinkajehovajad shows his ignorant side to the world once again!
              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

              ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by herpa2003
                Ackalackakingamundinkajehovajad
                You left out two "t"'s and a "j".

                Anyway, what he's basicly saying is: "Oh! Oh! I want to play dictator and piss off the whole world so I can play with my tanks and planes! *beings mouthing sounds*NEEEEER ACK ACK ACK! BOOM!".

                Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                Actually, aside from the "nut job" which we all agree he is, similar action should be encouraged in more places around the world, in order to preserve minority cultures threatened by globalization.
                So you're saying it should be illegal to speak anything other than the native language in tiny countries? Great idea! Lets opress our whole nation by making everyone speak our language or leave![/sarcasm]

                Why I think this is a bad idea is because if people in minority cultures arn't allowed to learn or speak another language, when they need to go into the world and communicate, they won't be able to if their whole lives they were forced to never learn another language. No government should isolate their country from the rest of the world by doing such a thing.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well that sucks.

                  Guy *Honey, Do you want some elastic loaves for lunch later on ?
                  GF= * WTF is that ? HUH ?

                  Seriously someone needs to bang his head into a wall or somethin.
                  No further comment.
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                    So you're saying it should be illegal to speak anything other than the native language in tiny countries? Great idea! Lets opress our whole nation by making everyone speak our language or leave![/sarcasm]

                    Why I think this is a bad idea is because if people in minority cultures arn't allowed to learn or speak another language, when they need to go into the world and communicate, they won't be able to if their whole lives they were forced to never learn another language. No government should isolate their country from the rest of the world by doing such a thing.
                    Since the article did not specifically talk about banning other languages, that is not what I was referring.
                    I was talking specifically about foreign words that crept into a native language. This is already an issue for societies with not very dominant cultural traditions, where a lot of culture is directly or indirectly imported, along with foreign vernacular and/or vocabulary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by herpa2003
                      Big surprise...Ackalackakingamundinkajehovajad shows his ignorant side to the world once again!

                      why does every post you make sound like a Bush administration press release?

                      Originally posted by bloodhound96
                      yeah, who'd be so dumb to do that? Oh wait.. remember 'freedom fries'? Or all the recent talk about making english the official language of the USA?

                      extremely good point
                      Last edited by screaming_emu; 2006-07-30, 05:17.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MaxPower
                        Well that sucks.

                        Guy *Honey, Do you want some elastic loaves for lunch later on ?
                        GF= * WTF is that ? HUH ?
                        It's actually not that uncommon for a foreign language to its own alternative wording to mean something... the one that comes to mind is the croissant, which Cantonese refers it as cow horn bun.

                        However, it is an unnatural process to change all these words all of sudden in this case...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Interesting.

                          Yes, as bloodhound pointed out, it's almost as silly as when a portion of the population (with a political agenda) want to rename "french-fries" to "freedom-fries".

                          I wonder what Ahmadinejad proposes as an Farsi alternative to other quality Western words such as "bling-bling"?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AC_A340-500
                            I wonder what Ahmadinejad proposes as an Farsi alternative to other quality Western words such as "bling-bling"
                            Either a camel with an iced out grill, or a magic carpet with autopilot, both of which can probably be translated into arabic.

                            Anyway, avro, I missunderstood you before, and I appolgize.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bloodhound96
                              yeah, who'd be so dumb to do that? Oh wait.. remember 'freedom fries'? Or all the recent talk about making english the official language of the USA?
                              I didn't know English wasn't the official language of the USA. Here in Texas the official language will be Spanish before long.
                              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X